oil recomendation on my 350z

Status
Not open for further replies.
.Hi finally registered. Been learning a lot from the forums. Now need help on deciding what oil to use. .its 2007 350z. With 53000 miles on it. Just bought it with 48000 miles and right after switched it too royal purple since that what I had in garage. Its a daily driver. 50 miles a day four days a week. I do get on WOT maybe twice a week. I work in a castrol quick lube so I have access to all there oils at a great discount. But we also carry redline gear oils so I can basically order anything from them also at a great discount. (Five dollars to do my tranny). So I've been thinking about either GC castrol which on these forums is good stuff I hear or redline 0w30 which is ester based n nissan recommends ester oil I guess

Lot of choices to choose from. There is not best oil, but there are many great oils.

Honestly, Mobil 1, PP, Synpower and Amsoil all meet most of the same specs and are very close in performance. Some exceed in certain areas.

Redline makes a great oil and has great customer service and support.

Thanks. I like amsoil but its hard to get rather just go to a store. I would like to use there filters tho. My goal is 300whp. Would a 0w30. Give me protection when I track it or stick with 5w30? I think mobil 1 is good but I just don't like it. N penzoil ehhh had a bad experience with there company reps will not buy there product.

welcome2.gif

david22 !!

German Castrol or Rotella T6 5w40 or Mobil 1 5w40 TDT or Mobil 1 0w40. Probably cannot go wrong with Redline though.

Last edited:
Me,I`d go with Mobil 1 15W50 or Royal Purple 15W40 along with an OEM Nissan oil filter. I just re-read your post and saw you`re using Royal Purple...........stick with that.

Last edited:
Thanks for replies and thanks for link asiancivic but it says that's for the de engine. Not hr motor. I know the de motor had oil consumption problems are they the same and. Yea took me while to register thanks for the welcoming. Seems like redline is way to go and wouldn't 15w40 be to thick? Like cold startup wise

Well, where in california are you?

But almost no matter where, I'd rather run a syn 5-40 than a dino 15-40. A good 30 weight like GC would probably do fine as well.

Since you can order Redline oil with good discount, I would choose Redline in either grade 0W30 or 5W30 and have 7-8k OCI's. If you are not confortable with long OCI's and can easily get GC for less than 1/2 price of Redline, I would pick GC and do 5-6k OCI's.

as far as esters goes.. I believe that there is a difference between a ester based oil and a oil with ester in it.

cant go wrong with redline... its always at the top of everyones list, its just expensive.

David, Nissan only recommends ester (their own label) for the
new VVEL valve train. Good oil, very expensive compared to
Redline. Nissan ester = $12/quart, Redline = $9.50/quart .
I had a Infiniti M35 with the 3.5 very similar to
your engine and I used Rotella Syn...I bought it 5 gallon
pails, used it three cars and two motorcycles...The Nissan
3.5 loved the stuff and it was cheap...less than $3/quart
when I bought the 5 gallon pails. If you look at the UAOs
and the Nissan forums, you'll also see folks getting great
results with that engine and PP. Good Luck

David,

Since you're in California, and you said you get cheap deals on Castrol or Redline products, I would recommend Redline 5W30 (super high HTHS for a 30 weight, great protection all around, and still has good cold flow properties), or GC 0W30. Can't go wrong with either of those. If you really crank up the power or boost the car, grab some Redline 5W40.

He does not need ESTER as his engine isnt the VVEL 3.7L like in the 370z model. The VQ35HR is a similar engine without the other [censored] the 3.7 comes with which requires the ESTER type of oil.

Any oil will work great in that engine. M1, PP, Castrol Edge. I had a 07 NISMO 350Z, and raced it at the road courses but ran Amsoil then switched to PP and it loved both oils with never a issue.

Originally Posted By: JonfromCB
David, Nissan only recommends ester (their own label) for the
new VVEL valve train. Good oil, very expensive compared to
Redline. Nissan ester = $12/quart, Redline = $9.50/quart .
I had a Infiniti M35 with the 3.5 very similar to
your engine and I used Rotella Syn...I bought it 5 gallon
pails, used it three cars and two motorcycles...The Nissan
3.5 loved the stuff and it was cheap...less than $3/quart
when I bought the 5 gallon pails. If you look at the UAOs
and the Nissan forums, you'll also see folks getting great
results with that engine and PP. Good Luck

From reading on various Nissan forums,VQ`s seem to like 40 weights. I`d stick with Royal Purple (if you want a synth) and use either 10W40,or 15W40.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
From reading on various Nissan forums,VQ`s seem to like 40 weights. I`d stick with Royal Purple (if you want a synth) and use either 10W40,or 15W40.

That's why I always ran GC.. It's considered a thick 30 weight, and ran awesome in my VQ35.

I though by law in the U.S. if Nissan required you to use THEIR oil for warranty purposes they had to provide it F.O.C. - or is it just a rec. That whining aside - Redline RTS or bust it. Nissan KNOWS that GF4 EC oils dont work on a nice high HP motor. Glad someone does!

Originally Posted By: david22
.Hi finally registered. Been learning a lot from the forums. Now need help on deciding what oil to use. .its 2007 350z. With 53000 miles on it. Just bought it with 48000 miles and right after switched it too royal purple since that what I had in garage. Its a daily driver. 50 miles a day four days a week. I do get on WOT maybe twice a week. I work in a castrol quick lube so I have access to all there oils at a great discount. But we also carry redline gear oils so I can basically order anything from them also at a great discount. (Five dollars to do my tranny). So I've been thinking about either GC castrol which on these forums is good stuff I hear or redline 0w30 which is ester based n nissan recommends ester oil I guess

david22,

You work in the best possiblle place to handle all your oil issues!!! :) For that much driving daily you don't have an sludging issues for sure but since you work at a Castrol "quicklube" why not just use Castrol "extended" synthetic in the weight your car needs???? I've used Castrol product before and I've had no issue with this oil although I'm usually a M1 user. Consider this.... Use the extended version and a good filter and just change it every 6 months to be safe OR be a little bold and go 12 months. The additive package in the extended will get you to there.

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back