General Altimax Arctic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just drove through some snow.

tackled everything but couldn't make it up the 13% incline to my house.

No worse than the Nokian Hakka RSI I used to have

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
They're going to look good on your e39. Nice choice of rims!

Thanks. I'll probably get some BMW center caps for them, too.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Jim 5
They're going to look good on your e39. Nice choice of rims!

Thanks. I'll probably get some BMW center caps for them, too.

Factory center caps will probably not work. You can, however get some good center cap stickers from ebay.

I've done that before. If you want a pic... I'll dig it up

You can search ebay for BMW center caps by diameter. You might be able to find them, but the diameter of the center caps looks a little small. There were different sizes over the years.

Pete- Can you take a pix of those wheels on your car for us? I've put about 100 miles on my Altimax Arctics and I'm pleased. We picked up a foot of snow last week (lots of lake effect) and I took the car out for a spin once everything settled down. While the main roads were plowed the side roads were mainly packed down and the car did very well! On my ride in this morning on a dry highway, at 70mph, the tires are pretty quiet. Happy thus far.

Originally Posted By: edvanp
Pete- Can you take a pix of those wheels on your car for us?

Sure, but it'll be about a week. I haven't put them on yet and now I'm flying out of town.

All dressed up and ready to go...

P1050390.jpg

P1050394.jpg

Sorry, didn't feel like getting the car out of the garage for this.

Thanks. Yeah, Rial makes these specifically for BMW applications, making sure the 16s clear the breaks on these cars (not all 16" rims do).

I'm planning to put on some mud flaps on it next.

Drew, I did not. I was out of town and only put them on this weekend. So far only drove them in the dry and in light rain. I thought they'd be quite bad in the handling/steering response department, but so far I have no complaints really.

Just a quick update on their winter performance: they do great in fresh snow. Slush - they're ok, a bit better than my all-season tires. Icy conditions - also relatively good.

For the BMW guys, if I can ever find a nice day with a clean van, I'll get a shot of my wife's Honda Odyssey with factory BMW rims/Goodyear Winter Nordics.

They ended up looking better than the factory Honda alloys. The fitment/offset was perfect with some hubcentric rings and some tuner nuts.

They're style 96,

bmw_wheel_096.jpg

and with a little automotive graphics tape the identical color as the rims (applied over the roundel), you'd never know they're BMW rims.

Also, here's a BMW wheel style guide that may be helpful (it seems current to about 4 years ago):

BMW Factory Wheel Style Guide

I ended up getting them installed. I like them.

They're Quiet, less squirmy than other winter tires I've had,
they have EXCELLENT shedding ability in that deep slushy [censored] seperating lanes. I can just shove right through and handling is hardly compromised, and they're not that expensive.

I'm really happy with them. I have a fairly decent daily drive (around 90 miles) and all conditions pass with flying colors for me.

I'm glad I got them.

Bump to a long-dormant topic:

I just bought some in 205/70-15 for the Buick. I'll be doing lots of driving on secondary and barely-plowed county roads this winter. The Buick does fine in the snow with the Pirelli P4 all-seasons on it right now. It should be great with the NordFrosts, er, Altimax Arctics on there.

I just bought these myself for my 2006 Sienna van in 215/65R16. Not on yet, so no first-hand comments on these. Bought based on reviews claiming these to be exceptional performers in ice and snow. These were of course once branded as the NordFrost 3, and were always highly regarded whether under the NordFrost or Altimax Arctic name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back