Frequencies known to interfere with 802.11g?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to buy a remote control extender, most likely a wireless one, however, I do not want it to interfere with my wi-fi. These extenders operate at either 418 or 433 Mhz. Are these frequencies known to screw with 802.11g which runs at 2.4 GHz?

There are three Next Generation remote control extenders in use in our house, two at 433 and one at 418. The extenders work very well and do not interfere with my 802.11g router even though they are all in close proximity.

How come you guys have not moved to 802.11N yet? I made that move 2 years ago maybe 3 and have not looked back. Dual band rocks.It really does allow for a lot more freedom,speed and range.

Originally Posted By: flanso
There are three Next Generation remote control extenders in use in our house,

That's actually the one I'm considering. Can you comment on how effective it is in terms of distance and crossing through boundaries? I've got two floors (non-concrete) and about 25-30 feet of distance to cross.

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
How come you guys have not moved to 802.11N yet? I made that move 2 years ago maybe 3 and have not looked back. Dual band rocks.It really does allow for a lot more freedom,speed and range.

Just because it is 802.11N doesn't mean that it is dual band. N still runs at 2.4GHz unless you have a dual band router that will also do 5GHz. You would also need a dual band adapter for your computer to take advantage of this as well.

Quattro Pete, I am using the extenders somewhat differently than you intend. My purpose is to enable concealing components in closed door cabinets and in a closet. In those circumstances, they perform very well. But I do not normally use the remotes much further than about 10 feet away from the Next Generation receiver. So this morning, I performed a test, not quite Consumer Reports quality, but perhaps it will help you decide. My house is frame, 2200 square feet, on two floors. I went upstairs to the opposite side of the house as the downstairs television. I was able to control the TV from one floor up at a total distance of about 25 feet, which is about as far away from the TV as I could get inside a house this size. Incidentally if you choose to buy and wish to control multiple components using one extender, Parts Express sells extra transmitters and plug-ins that have three IR senders on one plug.

Thanks flanso. So far, I haven't found come across anything better than this NextGen Remote Control Extender, so I'm probably going to give it a try and see.

Wireless N didnt even come out until recently.. it was all draft-N semi-proprietary.

My new laptop has dualband wireless N.. I might snag a wireless N and plug it into the gigabit switch, but really for everything except large file transfers between local computers wireless G is fine.

The biggest 2.4ghz range offenders are cordless phones and microwaves.
Also 2.4ghz is part of the absorption spectrum for water..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_absorption

Last edited:
Wireless N alone doesn't do much if you have problems with current setup in G like line of sight, signal strength, interference, etc.

5Ghz has lower range due to higher frequency than 2.4Ghz.

So in the end, buy a router with the highest power output amplifier like the Linksys WRT300N series with broadcom chipset, or something like a WRT160N v1 or v1.1. The amplifier inside is very strong and has good range, even for a G network.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
So in the end, buy a router with the highest power output amplifier like the Linksys WRT300N series with broadcom chipset, or something like a WRT160N v1 or v1.1. The amplifier inside is very strong and has good range, even for a G network.

Stronger amplifier on the router won't help a whole lot unless you get a computer network card with a stronger amplifier as well, since it's a two-way communication. Or am I wrong on this?

I would think that getting a wireless repeater in another part of the house would give better results.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: PandaBear

Stronger amplifier on the router won't help a whole lot unless you get a computer network card with a stronger amplifier as well, since it's a two-way communication. Or am I wrong on this?

I would think that getting a wireless repeater in another part of the house would give better results.

Pretty much. You can boost power output all you want on the router side, but if it cannot hear the little antenna in the laptop, its all for nothing.

What I meant was that some of the better routers have both high power TX and sensitive RX. Agree with the points that both side have to be powerful to increase range.

Heres how I boost signal.
router.jpg

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
Heres how I boost signal.
router.jpg

Isn't this just making it more directional and not necessarily more powerful?

making an antenna more directional means increasing the power to one side more than the other, so yes, it is more directional and more powerful (if you know what you are doing.

WRT54G/GL/GS uses only 1 of the antenna at a time, so you can have the antenna reflectors point to the opposite direction and get both coverage and power.

I asked one of my friends who has 2 of these router but only one set (2) antenna to put a large one on each, and it is enough to boost signals to travel far enough across 4 houses away. Now his dad can share Internet without paying extra.

I have DDWRT on it an it is set up as a client, so it is actually not really acting as a router in a strict sense. Its connecting to a WRT160N. DDWRT lets me select which antenna to use for RX and TX. The one on the right is RX. It gained about 12-14dB or so once I got it aimed. Going from around -74dBm to -60dBm, with a noise floor of -95dBm, which is enough to get 54mbps most of the time.

We're kind of veering off topic here, but it's an interesting discussion nonetheless. So, are there any specific recommendations on how to point the wireless antennas depending on your application? For example, I've read that if all your clients are on the same floor, you should keep the antenna(s) in a vertical position, whereas if your clients span multiple floors, keeping the antenna(s) in a more horizontal position would work better.

In my case, the wireless router (WRT54G running Tomato) is in the basement of a 2-story house. I tried various antenna positions, but haven't observed much difference in signal strength (using Network Stumbler). Are there any good (and free) tools to measure wireless signal strength that I can use to measure this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back