Cooper vs Uniroyal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help me decide on tires for my Intrepid.

Both of the following tires have 80k mile warranty, and both prices are for a set of four, including mounting/balancing/stems.

-Cooper CS4, $420.

-Uniroyal Long Touring (from WalMart), $438. These also include road hazard, and lifetime rotation and balancing.

The Uniroyals look good because they include the extra goodies for about the same price. On the other hand, I've owned several sets of Coopers over the years, and they've treated me well.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Cooper CS4 is not a bad tire and since you had good experiences with Cooper tires, you should stick with it. Uniroyal in general is not a good brand.

Uniroyal is owned by Michelin... and they've always been an "economy" tire. I had one set on my truck, and that was plenty enough for me to not buy any more. Of course, their car tires could be different...

Between the two choices presented here, I'd be leaning towards the Coopers. My impression is that Cooper has put a lot more R&D into the CS4, than Uniroyal has put into the Long Touring.

Here's a write up by MotorTrend on the CS4.
http://www.motortrend.com/features/112_0704_cooper_cs4_touring/evaluation.html

I have the exact type of uniroyal's mentioned above on my honda. they ride excellent, and don't wear fast.

I have the uniroyals on my buick.. so far so good. They are wearing very well, ride good and have excellent wet and snow traction. Never been a fan of walmart tires but I would buy again

Uniroyal > Cooper

take it from someone who mounts and balances/ test drives both types of tires on a normal basis

I sell a lot of uniyoral touring tires, the Cs4 I usually use for a cheaper tire in a 17" size.... Not too many Uniroyal's are available in 17"

hold up, I just did some research, that Uniroyal tire model is only available at walmart, I would stay clear of that because I'm willing to bet its not as good as the regular Uniroyal Touring tire that I am very familar with..........

I would keep shopping, you have many options out there besides walmart...... what car is this going on? what size? what do you use the car for? are you an aggressive driver? do you want the longest tread wear possible or would you be happy with trade-off's(I.E. maybe not the longest lasting tire, but a much better riding/handling one)

I also wouldn't be sold just on the fact walmart will give you lifetime warranties and balances.... I can't speak for everyone who works at a walmart, but I've seen and fixed less then ideal balancing jobs done at walmart...... I wouldn't trust those guys to even air up my tires..... thats just me though

you might be able to find the real Uniroyal tigerpaw touring tires somewhere else cheaper then the walmart ones without the pos walmart quality job......

Last edited:
I have the Cooper CS4's on my '97 Sable.
Honestly, it's probably the best all-seasons I've ever had, and I've had a *lot* of tires on a half-dozen vehicles over the years.

They wet and even snow performance is awesome, and their dry performance is very good.

They are a bit louder than a dedicated "touring" tire, though, nothing to get excited about.

I'd buy them again. They sure are better tires than the Michelin Energy MXV4's I had. They balanced out nice but were practically the worst rain tires I've ever had.

That uniroyal has a very "sturdy" sidewall, much stiffer than any other goodyear tire. Even though uniroyal may be made by michelin they are truly nothing alike, michelins(p-metric) tires have a very wierd/flexy sidewall as compared to ALL uniroyals which have a much stiffer sidewall.

Get the uniroyals, you will not be disappointed. Also the uni is a 80,000 mile tire.

not all tires in the same brand are alike either..

walmart sells some walmart only tires too.

They can buy 10million of them and pay their price for them.

Walmart in general is a horrid place to buy tires..

Sams club is much better.-- honestly

I'd goto a local tire place first but sams has 10x the tire selection of walmart.. better prices etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand

Sams club is much better.-- honestly

I'd goto a local tire place first but sams has 10x the tire selection of walmart.. better prices etc.

Sams is going to have the same corporate structure and acquisition policies. DOnt see how the are any better...

you took my words out of context.

I was saying I would shop a local tire store.

BUT if I was going to buy from walmart I would goto sams club instead.. as they are cheaper and have better selection

If you meant something else.. I dont understand what you were getting at.

Last edited:
For tires, Sams Club does have more selection than Walmart. Price-wise I don't know which one is cheaper, because most tires sold at Walmart are not available at Sams Club and vice versa.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
For tires, Sams Club does have more selection than Walmart. Price-wise I don't know which one is cheaper, because most tires sold at Walmart are not available at Sams Club and vice versa.

About the same...

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

You can special order any tire in any size from the mfrs they sell. The store should have catalogs you can view which gives all the info needed to special order. Sams Club is the same way except they usually do not have tire mfr catalogs on display.

Wierd must be a regional thing.. The sams club by me has the books out on their counter..

The walmart's in general dont even have their headlight/wiper/oil filter books around.

Probably depends more on the TLE Manager than anything I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back