1995 Volvo 850 coolant type?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,
I don't know what to do, my volvo is going to need more coolant to be added since it's at the min mark. The expansion tank says "Use volvo coolant only" I called volvo and they also said that I have to use volvo coolant, I asked why and they said "because it's blue". Should I listen to them and get the volvo brand coolant?

LOL, "because it's blue!" I'm going to go with the Zerex chart here and agree with the previous poster, G-05. The Napa near me has Zerex G-05 for ~$10.00 a gallon full strength. It's not blue but that makes no difference.

Here's the Zerex chart. http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/Zerex_CoolantChart.pdf

Oh, and
welcome2.gif

Well if you consult a coolant chart it will say G-05 is the recommend coolant. If all you are doing is topping up the reservoir then might as well get a blue G-05 premix coolant from Volvo or as mentioned from BMW. The color doesn't really matter because Honda coolant is blue but it's not G-05.

If you were flushing the system it wouldn't really matter water color your G-05 is. But since you are not flushing the whole system, mixing anti-freeze colors might create an off-color easily confused with corrosion, so might as well get the OEM type and color.

edit: I didn't see your post about the chart before I posted lol.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info everyone. Do you know at which stores I can get some G-05 coolant because the dealer is too expensive.

Also would it be ok if I just add the new coolant on top of whats already in the expansion tank? I have no idea type of coolant was used by the previous owner.

I have seen the Zerex G-05 at NAPA and Carquest. I did not see it at Pep Boys, though. It will work perfectly in your 850. I have used it in mine.

FWIW, Volvo coolant is full strength, not pre-mixed (at least the last time I bought it). Still a few dollars more than the Zerex, but not so bad, considering one gallon full strength will more than fill the 850, with a little left over for topping off as you go.

I hear people complain about what Toyota charges for a single gallon of bright pink pre-mixed coolant. They tell their customers the same thing (only use Toyota coolant, because it's pink!)

Originally Posted By: omegaman
Also would it be ok if I just add the new coolant on top of whats already in the expansion tank? I have no idea type of coolant was used by the previous owner.

If in doubt, just drain and fill. The drain is very easy to get at, on the drivers side. Remove the black plastic belly pan, with a single bolt on each side. Then it's just a little plastic nozzle that you back out with a small wrench (carefully, it's soft, and could be damaged) part-way. The coolant drains out through the middle of the nozzle.

You can flush with water if the old coolant looks suspicious, otherwise just add back a 50/50 mix of G-05 (any color) and water. Fill very slowly. In my experience, I always gets some airlock, and have to add few more doses over the next day or two, until it will stay at the MAX line. Just keep checking it until it stabilizes, then check it again a week or two later, just to be safe.

I've been using "Good ole green" in my Volvo 850 for years...but I didnt know any better till I found this site! I just picked up a gallon of Zerex G-05 from Napa, 11 bucks. I plan on swapping out the radiator and doing the full switch to G05. I just wish it wasnt 11 degrees here!!

I just found a Napa store and I bought the Zerex G-05 it was $15.99. If only it wasn't 30 degrees out I would drain out the old coolant.

If what you have is a bona fide Zerex G-05, then I don't think it's necessary to drain all the old out. Your original Volvo coolant should be about the same stuff. the different colors won't really harm anything. I assume you got concentrate, you should probably cut it with water before using it to top up. Then when warmer weather sets in you could do a complete drain then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back