Buying oil in larger quantities for home use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: robd
OK, Here is another question. How long does oil last in sealed 5 quart containers that are exposed to temps below 32F for long periods of time in the winter? I seen in a previous post it could last for 60 months if not exposed to freezing. I have an unattached garage that regularly sees cold temps all winter long and have always stored my oil there without problems.

SOPUS & Mobil both said 24 months. The schedule they sent me was:

Unopened in factory sealed container stored indoors = 60 months
Unopened in factory sealed container stored subjected to freezing = 24 months
Once opened and air introduced = 12 months.

I like the portability of the 5 qt jugs and the ability to recycle the used oil in them with ease as well since my local city picks up used oil with the trash. No mess, long shelf life, sale price and you are not locked into one brand or viscosity.

My stash includes 5w30, 5w20, 20w50, 25w40 and a few 30w.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

The effort isn't that much with drum cradle

14427_lg.gif

We used to make these in high school Vo-Ag class. My dad had one as a result of it. Of course, mine didn't have the wheels and some inventor didn't get his royalties, obviously.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
This thread is making me realize that a 55 gal drum would make the perfect centerpiece in my oil shrine...

I could never sneak one in....one of the 3 daughters wuld eyeball it in the corner of the garage and report me to control.
spankme2.gif

Oh, man, they even commandeered the garage?
frown.gif

I thought the basement and garage were sacred ground.

So what happens when you buy a new car that then requires SO or SP to maintain warranty?

I don't know when Sonoco shut off my dad's 2 1/2 gallon cans.

Last edited:
Oh, man, they even commandeered the garage?
frown.gif

I thought the basement and garage were sacred ground.

The garage is connected to the house so it is under the watchful eyes of control and her minions. The basement...I totally finished it off complete with steps to the garage, full bath with shower, extra bedroom, play room, and bonus room with TV, stereo, and a nice pool table. There is however a "storage room" where my stash resides. At first it was mine but now 12 years later it is full of all kinds of stuff belonging to the minions. Should have put a locking door on it.
33.gif

Additive separation is no issue in 5 quart jugs because you pour ALL the oil and additives out when you empty the jug but, tough to mix a 55 gallon drum.

Thanks PT1 for the response on freezing temps and oil storage.

I still like the unattached garage because it is still my sacred ground for me to go and work on my vehicles. (150 ft from house).

Last edited:
Quote:
If you use a spigot, you would have to tilt the drum over to drain.

Quote:
The foot print is no more than the drum unless you want to use a spigot.

I thought "standing up" would be understood and taken for granted since you can't use a spigot with it standing up.

Quote:
Effort to do this, or, you could leave drum horizontal, but that would take up lots of space.

Yes...but if you wanted to use a spigot....

The effort isn't that much with drum cradle

14427_lg.gif

Now look at the footprint (not to mention the mounting expenses!) : A 55 gal drum,with an attached cradle = almost the size of 2 55gal drums... This whole idea is spinning out of control in someways. Whats next? A hoist to suspend the drum?

Point is, its a WHOLE lot easier, simpler, and convenient to buy a few FRESH gallon jugs when you happen to go by Walmart anyways! Why overthink this?

They had drum racks at work that they would have the various fluids. Turbine oil, 10W, straight 40 ..ATF.. 6 drums laid horizontal 2 high ..and 3 across. I often imagined it as a would be "wine cellar" type thing for a BITOG'r. They used forklifts to put them on the thing ..but for the man who has everything....

Contract for 55 gal bulk oil delivery $$$
lol.gif

Vertical pump -- OR -- Spigot valve $$$
lol.gif
lol.gif

Industrial drum cradle $$$
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Now, HD storage rack & forklift! $$$$$$$$
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

I buy bulk oil in 55 gallon drums have about 1.10 a quart in synthetic oil it the way to go if you can use it

Originally Posted By: 03hemi
I buy bulk oil in 55 gallon drums have about 1.10 a quart in synthetic oil it the way to go if you can use it

Out of curiosity, what brand is it and who sells it for that price?

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Point is, its a WHOLE lot easier, simpler, and convenient to buy a few FRESH gallon jugs when you happen to go by Walmart anyways! Why overthink this?

Not everyone can just pop on down to walmart whenever they feel like it. There isn't a Walmart within 50 miles of me. NOBODY around here sells oil in jugs. NOBODY puts oil on sale. You pay a minimum of $3 by the quart and you like it...or you don't drive.

What's economical/useful/time/money saving to you is not the same for everyone else.

Personally, I'm in the market for a drum of good crankcase oil, a drum of 2 cycle oil, and a few drums of ethanol free gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back