Coolant chart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is an interesting coolant chart I found. I don't know how accurate the chart is but it seems to claim Peak LL isn't a dexclone. I had thought that Peak LL and EL all makes were the same formula and that both are a dexclone. Prestone EL is a dexclone for sure. Under the various manufactures of HOATS it's not really clear if any of their OAT used is 2-EHA or an "other OAT".

Coolant_Table.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah it's confusing. Prestone use to sell a conventional that was yellowish instead of green. Now their extended life is an OAT (dexclone).

I'm 95% certain Peak LL is a Dexcool clone. Peak Global is amber colored and not a 2-eh formula.

Originally Posted By: Basil
Very coincidental.... came to post a chart that I found as well lol. This one is focused on different brands in the North American Market.

http://www.eetcorp.com/antifreeze/Coolants_matrix.pdf

Thanks, that chart seeems geared more toward diesels but good info. Seems like Peaks Final Charge may be the same as PGL. Also it still leavesup in the air whether or not Peak EL/LL is a dexclone, but it does not seems to be the same PGL.

Originally Posted By: bigmike
I'm 95% certain Peak LL is a Dexcool clone. Peak Global is amber colored and not a 2-eh formula.

That's my understanding that Peak LL/EL is a Dexclone and PGL is not.

Quote:
mechanix,

Do you have the footnotes that you can add to help explain the original picture?

No, I wish. The chart was posted on some forum and the link posted to the original source no longer worked. It was a real old post but the link didn't work.

Update....The Honda "Type 2 Long Life" coolant is now colored a deep blue. It's the same excellent formulation as the older dark green, but I guess green-colored coolant isn't trendy enough. The change happened a few years ago.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
Careful with saying they are exactly the same. Do you have evidence of that? BTW, blue has been out for several years now.

I spoke with a service tech and parts manager at two different Honda dealerships, and was told the primary change was color because too many folks were confusing the green with conventional silicated coolant. It's the same OAT chemistry, bit I think the change interval was increased a bit. The part numbers are also the same if I recall.

FWIW, I use it in my Honda and Yamaha motorcycles. I still had some older green left, and the blue seems identical with a unique very sweet smell. After 5 years in, the cooling system of the Yammi was absolutly spotless and clean on the green. I expect the blue to offer similar service.

Do you know whether Honda type 2 is an OAT or a P-OAT. I assume it's an P-OAT, but different sources suggest different things. If Honda type 2 is just an OAT that would blow holes in the theory that you must have phophate or silicate in an OAT or the sky will fall, but I sort of doubt it's not phosphated.

I think that same chart was posted by someone earlier in this thread lol. I know, it's hard to keep track of it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back