Purolator vs. STP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding a filter for a 2007 Mustang GT

The purolator has a mesh patterned metal guard across the entire filter, where as the stp has one thick metal bar across the section. I'm not sure which has more pleats, though. Someone fill me in.

Those are the two main filter choices in NYC, for the most part.. Fram as well, but I've heard horror stories about their oil filters.

What say ye?

Last edited:
STP on my truck. I like the PureOne oiled media air filters, better than the standard Puro at 96% efficient--but that midel is not avauilable for my truck. So I like the STP (Champion Labs built in my case)

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Fram makes quality air filters.

HIGH quality or LOW quality?

Originally Posted By: SWSportsman
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Fram makes quality air filters.

High, I have read many posts where people like their air filter but not the oil filter.

Purolator, but check to make sure it's a nice snug fit in the airbox. I've found most of the time they fit very well and are usually on sale some where.

I don't know about the STP, I would think it's OK. The last time I checked, the Fram and Puro for my apps were both made in Israel. I happen to like Fram air filters just fine.*

Whatever you choose, look in the box first to make sure it's OK.

*This opinion relates to the Fram air filters only.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: SWSportsman

What's the difference?

Fram air filters may be fine but I find them to be expensive compared to other brands. At AAP for my 1993 Roadmaster the Fram is $10.03 and the Purolator is 8.89. At AZ, O'Reilly Auto, and Murray Auto the STP and Microgard are $6.59 and Fram is $7.59.

Even without considering Fram as a purveyor of low quality high price oil filters I see no reason to buy a Fram air filter.

I put in a wix in my corolla. I have used fram air filters in years past and never had any problems with them. Never really had problems with the fram oil filters either, but I do use Pure one filters now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back