GC Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many here enjoy this oil. Is the non German version not as good? And where do you buy it, Auto Zone, NAPA, Advance Auto?

If its 'non German' its not GC. There used to be an American made Syntec 0W30 but I haven't seen it in awhile.

2010 2.5 Subaru Legacy. I know I don't NEED it, but was curious.

Last edited:
GC got its reputation when most of the other Syntec grades were just okay. Who knows how they compare now. GC is still a great oil, though.

Originally Posted By: 3oilmat1
My car calls for 5 W30, but that is a non-issue, correct?

Yes, for the most part you can use a 0 weight in place of a 5 weight oil, if that's what you meant.

Keep in mind that GC is a tad thicker at operating temp than most 30 weight oils, I think it's right at 12.1 cst@ 100F whereas most other 30 weights are closer to 10.5.

Originally Posted By: 3oilmat1
My car calls for 5 W30, but that is a non-issue, correct?

That is correct. 0W30 can replace any 5W30

When I had my 01 RX 300,everybody over on Club Lexus was raving about this magic elixir (GC). But when I used it,I noticed poor cold engine performance,and it actually used oil on it. I`m not saying it`s a bad oil by any means. I just think it`s more for Euro vehicles,and certain motor`s.

Ive been using it for the last few oil changes in the Taco. So far so good. I picked up a bunch when AZ had their sale 5 qrts of Syntec and a K&N oil filter for 27.00.

To Answer your original question,

The Non-German Syntec is a good oil, just not up to the same level as the GC.

Would I use it for the "normal" service interval in the handbook? Absolutely.

American made syntec isnt really a great long drain oil, but its got a decent makeup and has shown some good UOA's. Id use it for sure.

I doubt whether you'll find "non-German" Syntec 0W-30 anymore, since Castrol has not offered it in years.
I last saw some a few years back.
GC has been good stuff wherever I have used it.
AZ and PB (recently) stock it in the US, with apparently other sources in Canada.
Other retailers can order it for you if you ask.
I only know this because I have asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back