Toyota 0w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Have you asked your local Toyota dealer for the price on a case of 12?
The price we're getting is the same price byez is getting from his Toyota dealer in Edmonton.

Hopefully I can call this week. It just seems like a large discount for buying 12.

Have you asked your local Toyota dealer for the price on a case of 12?

I called 4 Toyota dealers and 2 Lexus in the GTA and I couldnt get that great price that rcy obtained.

• both Lexus dealers I called didnt stock this grade
  • most dealers gave no discount for purchasing a case
  • one indicated that there was a 50 cent environmental charge (per bottle),another 25 cents and the other 2 no fee

So here are the quotes per case (excluding 13% for GST and PST)
  • 3 at $67.80 (=$5.65 per bottle)
  • $71.28 (= $5.94)

rcy, w/O a UOA it might be premature to stock up but if you wait you may well need to pay the prices I quoted above.

Last edited:
But you have confirmed the $5.65/L price is pretty consistent and aside from any other volume purchase discounts it's still the best price for a 0W-20 you can get anywhere.
The discount in buying by the case does seem to be at the discretion of the parts guy you're dealing with.
Without trying hard I got a 10% discount from my local Honda dealer on their 0W-20 and I'm sure I could get more in person.

Since we now know more about these oils than any parts guy at Toyota, Lexus or Honda, there's another negotiation tool if you can befriend the parts guy as rcy has none, i.e., you can offer to provide the VOA and MSDS info plus expert explain in exchange for a decent discount!

Without trying hard I got a 10% discount from my local Honda dealer on their 0W-20 and I'm sure I could get more in person.

I dont recall now CATERHAM why you purchased Honda's 0W20
54.gif

if you can befriend the parts guy as rcy has none, i.e., you can offer to provide the VOA and MSDS info plus expert explain in exchange for a decent discount!

Not much we could offer that would beat rcy's gambit i.e best man at his wedding?!
shocked2.gif

3Toyotas, the TBN level of an oil has nothing to do with the base oil chemistry. Furthermore a high TBN is not necessarily better than a more modest level. Since you mentioned Asmoil, their expensive performance oriented RD20 5W-20 has a TBN of 6.41.

While Amsoil ASM 0W-20 may have a similar 100C vis to the Toyota product it's rather modest 167 VI is clearly not in the same league with Toyota.

Here's one in a 5.7 tundra. Notice how high the alum and silicone numbers are. The silicone is from a loose CAI connection though.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1700903&gonew=1#UNREAD

My bad. Didn't see your post byez. Here's the direct link for you.

Last edited:
Approaching 5000 KILOMETRES on this oil. Plan on leaving it in till winter is over (so likely somewhere around 7 or 8 thousand KM). However, I have a Blackstone vacuum pump. Think it's worth pulling a sample now, or wait till the end of the run?

The vehicle has seen mostly highway miles as of late (new location for work, meaning no more commuter train). Also, this is a rinse phase after an Auto-RX clean cycle. Will that skew the results?

Originally Posted By: rcy
Approaching 5000 KILOMETRES on this oil. Plan on leaving it in till winter is over (so likely somewhere around 7 or 8 thousand KM). However, I have a Blackstone vacuum pump. Think it's worth pulling a sample now, or wait till the end of the run?

FWIW rcy how about holding off till you have more mileage i.e. closer to 5k miles, say anything over 8k kms? (Although having a pump gives you some choice re 'to drain or not to drain' based upon the report). And going the whole winter shouldn't be a problem given that you are in Burlington; I think I recall CATERHAM referring to Burlington as close to the banana belt of S. Ontario
56.gif

I think anytime now would not be too soon to have a UOA done on this new oil; the info would be useful. Many of us change even a syn oil for various reasons at 5,000 kms.
Based on my own experience I suspect this oil shears very quickly in service then stabilizes.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
HEY, I HEARD THAT!!!

grin2.gif

Doesn't matter what the reason, it's a complete waste!

You are going scare some UOAers to the point they might lie about the length of their OCI!
56.gif

Last edited:

This the best syn oil discovery (and price deal) in Canada since GC was discovered (also in Canada) by Patman.

I know this was posted a long time ago but I thought I'd clarify it, I wasn't the first one to discover GC in Canada, it was actually forum member Dr T (who hasn't posted in a while!) who found it here first. I believe I was the first one on here to buy it and put it in a car though, and perhaps I was even the first one to post the first UOA with it.

HEY, I HEARD THAT!!!

Doesn't matter what the reason, it's a complete waste!

Okay, so how many years (OCI) would you recommend on a car that's driven on average 2,500 kms/yr?

Well, I put this in today, and my cats are happier, my computer boots faster, I run 20°f cooler, my wife is smiling, and the clouds went away!
This is the best oil EVER!

All for $60 a case/12.
Man, I'm in heaven
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back