How to make carburator cleaner at home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a recipe for carburetor cleaner. This works better than commercial cleaners. For small engines you can use this or lacquer thinner.

1. = Parts gasoline
1. = Parts diesel / kerosene
1. = Part MEK or Acetone
.5 = Parts auto trans fluid

Be careful . It is toxic and VERY flammable. Keep in tightly sealed container and dispose of rags properly or wash them with the hose immediately.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Looks like a recipe for a bomb........

Seriously though, how could this homemade stuff be more dangerous than the store-bought chemical?

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Seriously though, how could this homemade stuff be more dangerous than the store-bought chemical?

I dunno, maybe start mixing it up at the 'ol workbench in the basement where it's nice and warm and a few feet from the standing pilot gas water heater.

I was thinking of that 5 gallons I just mixed up, cleaned the 'vair carbs in, now I gotta dump the [censored] in the neighbor's yard.

It won't evaporate much. Can't put it in much anything plastic.

Smells like [censored] - have you ever got diesel on your hide?

Toxic.

Flammable.

And I'll be danged if I need to wash my rags with the hose - drains to salmon creek.

I don't really understand how the gas, diesel, and ATF are going to aid cleaning a carb (hair of the dog maybe?). MEK, Toluene, acetone, and Methyl Acetate would be a better cleaner/solvent.

Originally Posted By: milwaukee
Why on earth would you go to this much trouble when the div>

Some folks are mad scientists at heart.

Hmmm....I have a hunch that the OP basically whipped up this recipe on his wifey's kitchen table by reverse-engineering it off of the MSDS of any run-of-da-mill carb cleaner in-a-can.

While it is indeed true that it would save some mullahs this way, all other posters concerned hold water in this case and in my case I don't deal with carb on cars anymore (I use CRC throttle body cleaner spray that doesn't attack teflon coating on EFI cars) so no use on my part anyways. Besides: how often do you have to whip up quantities of carb cleaner? A mechanic?!

Q.
19.gif

It is essential that carb cleaner be perfectly clean and pressurized. I don't see how our mad scientist is going to accomplish those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back