Blackstone report 04.5 5.9 Cummins

Status
Not open for further replies.
First post and ttroubles already. I was hoping to make my brand new Blackstone report magically appear here as an attachemnt or something but I guess I dont know how to do that. Can someone please give me a hand?

Thanks

Type it out. THere is a guy who posted one a few days back in this forum, for an example.

Last edited:
I received the UOA on my truck yesterday, and would love some help deciphering it. Blackstone said the engine looks "pretty okay" whatever that means and that the iron and copper was a "tad" high. They also said to resample in 5-6K miles. I take this to mean I should change the oil at 5500-6K miles. I humbly throw my results to the experts!

Thanks!

Miles on truck.........39300
Miles on oil............7053
Oil......................Delo 400 15W-40 CH-4
Make up oil...............0

Parameter.......Universal Average .... UOA Results
Aluminum.......................3.....................3
Chromium.......................2.....................1
Iron..............................23.................37
Copper...........................4...................8
Lead.............................2...................2
Tin...............................1..................2
Molybdenum....................28.....................5
Nickel............................0..................0
Manganese......................0.....................1
Silver............................0..................3
Titanium........................0....................0
Potassium.......................3....................15
Boron...........................81...................5
Silicon...........................7..................5
Sodium..........................4....................3
Calcuim.......................2758...................3239
Magnesium....................239.....................32
Phosphorous..................1081....................1256
Zinc...........................1272..................1438
Barium..........................1....................0

SUS vis at 210 F............69 to 79.................77.4
cSt at 100 C................12.7-15.3................14.88
Flashpoint....................>390...................415
Fuel.......................... Antifreeze......................0%....................0
Water........................ Insolubles.....................<0.8...................0.3

Even though it's an 04.5, the results look pretty good for the mileage...possibly some break in elements there. Is that an error with the oil- CH4? That would be a few years old...

Originally Posted By: D-Roc
Even though it's an 04.5, the results look pretty good for the mileage...possibly some break in elements there. Is that an error with the oil- CH4? That would be a few years old...

It was in fact CH-4, it was some oil that my dad had around so I used it even though the manual specifies CI-4. I went with Delvac this go round so I guess I will change at 6K and test again!

Thanks

Originally Posted By: Shawno
Originally Posted By: D-Roc

It was in fact CH-4, it was some oil that my dad had around so I used it even though the manual specifies CI-4. I went with Delvac this go round so I guess I will change at 6K and test again!

Thanks

Well there is definitely REAL world experience, that oil can last longer than the general 5 years that is the norm.

shawno: Your iron looks pretty normal by all that I can determine. I just got hold of a LubeDocs sheet (originally from a Utah Transit system guidline sheet) that says anything under 105ppm is "normal" for an ISB. Up to 160 is merely "abnormal" and over 160 is "Critical." That is, of course FWIW. Still, at 7K for the run, I wouldn't be sweating 37 PPM iron. I paraphrase what dnewton here is fond of saying, oil doesn't know the passage of time, at least in the relatively short term. I'd really love to send of some of that really old oil people here have found for tests.

Last edited:
The numbers look fine to me. I guess it would somewhat depend upon your severity factor. Heavy loading can contribute to a bit higher wear. I agree it's not anything to panic about.

Nice to see some proof about how oil knows no limit of time, only exposure to use. At some point, I suspect the add-pack would start to deteriorate, but this proves that time is pretty far down the road. One sample is not enough to be conclusive, but is sure can't be ignored, either.

One thing I'd like to point out, as a matter of using this UOA as a jumping off point for a related topic, is that some people seek (and even lust for) a CH-4 oil, begruding a CJ-4 oil. In no way does this UOA disappoint; the numbers are very desireable! But neither does it exemplify some magical realm that CJ-4 can't touch. The CH-4 did a nice job; no more, no less. We've seen CJ-4 lubes do just as well. My point is that many people crave older fluids out of some mis-placed notion that CJ-4 is "lacking". This just shows that results say otherwise.

It would have been nice to see a TBN, to see about the viability of continued use!

Your fuel, water, coolant, insolubles all show the ISB running very cleanly.

Enjoy the ride!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the inputs fellas. I will be curious to see how the Delvac CJ performs, I guess we will know in about 3 months. Of course it will be under a little different conditions with the cold weather and more warm up idle time.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back