Sta-Bil for a 2 stroke?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Started to add some Sta-Bil to a string trimmer for storage, and stopped. (Concerned about the breakdown of the oil.)
Any one with history or thoughts on it?

Been using it for several years in my weed eater; a Homelite non the less! Stars right up everytime. No issues at all.

Stabil indicates it's OK to run in 2 strokes.

"Q: Can I use STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer in both 2-cycle (gas and oil mixture) and 4-cycle engines? What about the number of engine cylinders (1, 2, 4, 6 or 8 cylinders)?

A: Yes, STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer works equally well for both 2-cycle (gas and oil mixture) and 4-cycle engines. STA-BIL can be used in engines with any number of cylinders (e.g. 1, 2, 4, 6 or 8 cylinders)."

If there is any chance at all that you may get gasoline with ethanol added, make sure you buy the new blue-colored Marine Forumla Sta-Bil. It's especially formulated to prevent phase separation.

Why would you want fuel left in the tank for storage. The fuel sump is so small why not drain the tank and keep it dry for storage.

Originally Posted By: Mamala Bay
Why would you want fuel left in the tank for storage. The fuel sump is so small why not drain the tank and keep it dry for storage.

Probably a better idea, but I do want some Sta-Bil in the fuel that doesn't drain.
Thanks for the responses above guys. I didn't want to do something stupid.

What you don't want to do is use old 2 cycle oil mixture. If a one gallon mixture is made I'd like to use that up in 1 week. Max would be 2 weeks but you determine how much you need and adjust. If you are stretching 2 weeks your being clumsy.

Reason is 2 cycle oil will degrade in ethanol fuel...2 cycle oil will not last as long as straight fuel. Also fuel stabilizer will not help much in 2 cycle oil mixture...you can use it to help the fuel but he 2 cycle oil mixture will degrade the same...

Not nit picking but the Stihl/with fuel stabilizer 2 cycle oil is eye catching as the oil itself is of quality but don't be fooled in believing it can go longer. Good common sense regarding fuel usage and storage are your best bet for longevity.

I'm finally finishing up the weedeater gas I mixed spring before last (1.5 years ago). For the weedeater, I mix it at the stronger rate since it sits around so long.

Ok thats hilarious! While Mamala Bay was typing to mix only a weeks worth, I was typing how I'm using 1.5 year old mix
25.gif

Oh yea that is hilarious with thousands of hours of 2 cycle usage on a commercial level I'll try that ksJoe...

Hows the tubes and gasket...your kiddding me right.

Originally Posted By: Mamala Bay

Even when you dump the tank there may be enough in the carb to gum it up. Treating all your OPE fuel with a good stabilizer goes a long way toward preventing problems.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SWSportsman
If there is any chance at all that you may get gasoline with ethanol added, make sure you buy the new blue-colored Marine Forumla Sta-Bil. It's especially formulated to prevent phase separation.

If you check their web site, Stabil does NOT claim that it prevents phase separation. In an e-mail from their tech., he claims no product can prevent phase separation. Others, like Pri G and Startron claim to reduce phase separation.

The Marine Stabil site only indicates that it has more detergent and anti corrosive vs. the red. And, because you use the Marine formula at 1/2 the rate vs. the red, one of these components (can't remember) equals out to be the same as the red.

Mamala boy, I am intriqued that you only mix enough 2 cycle ethanol fuel mix for 1 or 2 weeks. Do you have any references that back up your statements that the ethanol breaks down the 2 cycle oil component? I routinely mix and store 2 cycle fuel for several months (Stihl Ultra)...... Chainsaws, trimmers, back pack blowers.

Originally Posted By: ksJoe
Ok thats hilarious! While Mamala Bay was typing to mix only a weeks worth, I was typing how I'm using 1.5 year old mix
25.gif

I'm with you ksjoe.

I leave mixed two stroke fuel for my outboard motors over winter for at least six months. Fire them up in the spring, grab the minnow bucket and tackle box and go fishing. Been doing it for close to thirty years. Didn't know I was flirting with disaster either. Been lucky I guess????
56.gif
56.gif
56.gif
56.gif

Originally Posted By: boraticus
Originally Posted By: ksJoe
25.gif

I'm with you ksjoe.

I leave mixed two stroke fuel for my outboard motors over winter for at least six months. Fire them up in the spring, grab the minnow bucket and tackle box and go fishing. Been doing it for close to thirty years. Didn't know I was flirting with disaster either. Been lucky I guess????
56.gif
56.gif
56.gif
56.gif

Outboard motors and small 2cycle engine are two different thing. Also regular fuel can be purchase here at the harbor. That's what many of the marine equiptment uses. There some commercial small enginee users that also pick up the non ethanol fuel for small engines so they're pretty much safe from fuel breakdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back