What oil for a 2003 VW Beetle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mother's 2003 New Beetle is over due for an oil change. The car has the 2.0L 8v engine with only just over 43000 kms on it and has been serviced by VW up until now, but the warranty just finished and I thought I would do the oil change myself instead of having her pay huge amounts of $$$ for a VW tech to change the oil. Now I'm a Honda guy and I don't know what synthetic oils go well in this motor. What synthetic oil should i put in this car that can handle the severe Canadian winters and also meets VW 502 00 specs? It mentions I can use either a 5w-40 or 5w-30 in this engine... I was thinking about maybe using Shell Rotella T syn diesel 5w-40 or Valvoline Synpower 5w-30?

Last edited:
Id run Mobil 1 european formula ESP. It is a VW 504/507 spec ACEA A3 rated oil, so it is robust and good stuff.

And this stuff is alright to be used in a gasoline engine, do they sell it retail or only at an esso outlet

Last edited:
The 8V's don't need a synthetic oil. Since you are up in Canada though. I would suggest Rotella T synthetic 0W-40. This will help in the winter.

Here is some reading about the Rotella line.

Shell oils

I work in a ministry at my church in which we service vehicles for the single moms and widows. The new beetle we service is one of the more difficult to work on. We have to drive it onto wooden blocks first to get it on a standard lift. I would think you might need some low profile ramps. I remember the filter is somewhat of a reach also.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
GC 0w-30, M1 0w-40, RTS 5w-40.

These, or XD-3 0W-30 as other have mentioned.

Even for the 8V gas engine, I think I'd go for a synthetic 0w40 or 5w40. Don't you guys get a Rotella T 0w40 in Canada? That would be an inexpensive choice good for a 5000-7500 mile oil change interval, at a minimum.

I have a 1999 beetle 2.0 5spd ...with around 120,000 miles.

I use either Mobil1 0w40 or GC 0W30, USE SYNTHETIC IN A VW ENGINE. I've seen VW engines that run on the "bests" conventional oils at short intervals and they still develop a bit of sludge.

Mine runs like a champ, 120k miles is nothing on the 2.slow if you maintain it right.

Here it is next to my SpecV:
32d4a6f0.jpg

Last edited:
I had a TT which is simular i've had tons horror stories i'd def suggest a 0w40 synthetic 507.00 oil. Alot these engines sludge the 10K mile intervals can be hard on oil. Mobil 1 esp at pep boys or even the 0w40 at walmart/aa would work too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back