RTS 5w-40 good for 1.8t engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend and i are taking a trip down to florida a couple weeks from now. He has a 2002 VW passat, 1.8t motor. he currently has 5w-40 Mobil1 in there. will RTS 5w-40 do good in that type of engine? ~145,000 miles, and we're expecting to put about 3,000 miles on the car during the trip. any suggestions? we live in the Detroit area by the way, so its gonna be cold here for awhile too.

Last edited:
Why not continue with M1 5w-40?

But anyway, RTS 5w-40 should be fine, alternatively M1 0w-40 or GC 0w-30 will work, too.

RTS is probably good for any engine that will use a 40wt, and some that wont. That being said hes running a good oil now.

Personally, I'd stick with the M1 5W40. But if he really wants, switching to Rotella 5W40 wouldn't be a bad thing at all-it's great oil.

RTS will be fine, just make sure that everything is topped up before you leave. The longitudinal 1.8t in the VW/Audi B5/B5.5 chassis are know to be very hard on oil. The sump holds a quart less oil than the transversely mounted Jetta/Golf platforms. So bringing some along to top off may not be a bad idea either. Have a good trip!!

Originally Posted By: wolfc70
RTS will be fine, just make sure that everything is topped up before you leave. The longitudinal 1.8t in the VW/Audi B5/B5.5 chassis are know to be very hard on oil. The sump holds a quart less oil than the transversely mounted Jetta/Golf platforms. So bringing some along to top off may not be a bad idea either. Have a good trip!!

Good advice -- very good advice. He should always keep that engine topped up to the max.

so whats a Jetta 1.8t hold?

how many qts?

don't the passat ones take about 4 or 4.5qts?

I've done some on passats before but unsure if I've done a turbo jetta oil change, I gotta help out my soon to be brother in law who put it too much oil, I'm just gonna drain it and start fresh. He doesn't know last time he changed it, and he said he had a firestone filter on there........

I got 5 qts of GC and a PureOne, should that be enough? I think I got another quart of GC in my car for my oil thirsty hog in case I don't have enough....

I have a 2002 Passat 1.8 Turbo. I use M1 TDT summer and M1 EP 10W30 in winter. Another important tip is that there is a turbo oil filter. I use a M1 #301 and the canister size is substantially larger. It falls at the full mark with 4 qts using the larger filter. Before I found out I was allowing the oil change place to put on the standard VW size filter. These engines are sludge makers so the use of synthetics on a 5K schedule is required. From what I can see, mine is staying clean...I also run 5W40 Delvac synthetic when I happen in a truck stop that has it on the shelf. I have 126K with no issues so far.

Originally Posted By: CSM746
Another important tip is that there is a turbo oil filter. I use a M1 #301 and the canister size is substantially larger.

some years of the passat spec this filter, some spec the smaller one, I put in whatever it calls for because thats right and I don't know any better, I'm not a VW expert!

but I did do the oil change on the Jetta 1.8T this morning, I used a pureone filter in the smaller size and the sob barely fit! I couldn't imagine using the bigger filter, I dunno if its any longer but it sure is wider.... kind of reminds me of the Motorcraft FL1A filter........

are there any reasons why the spec two different sizes for various years on the Turbo engines? I wouldn't mind using the large filter on the passats if I can get away with it without harming anything......

sorry for the hijack

Last edited:
On my 2002 Passat, I remove the hose from the intercooler and it opens up plenty of room to remove and insert the larger filter from above. Trying to change the filter from beneath the car is tight. My opinion is that with the checkered history these engines have which is only avoided by keeping the sludge away, a larger filter with more filtration media should help.

Last edited:
I have a question about HDEO's in the VW engines. I keep running across little snippets about the possible issue of HDEO's causing problems with a vehicle emissions system.

I thought Rotella T6 5w40 was the latest blend that can be run in the newest turbo diesel pick up truck engines.

If the oil is "A" ok for these newest, low emission diesels, then how could it be bad for the VW engines?

A good friend has that engine in a gti, I got him doing 5-7500mi ocis on m1 0w-40, and now at 172k, the engine seems the only sound thing onthat my02 gti.

Originally Posted By: BigJohn
I have a question about HDEO's in the VW engines. I keep running across little snippets about the possible issue of HDEO's causing problems with a vehicle emissions system.

I thought Rotella T6 5w40 was the latest blend that can be run in the newest turbo diesel pick up truck engines.

If the oil is "A" ok for these newest, low emission diesels, then how could it be bad for the VW engines?

not a issue with a 1.8T & 2.0t catalytic converter.

T6 is technically a low-SAPS oil also, which makes it suitable for diesels with DPF's.

Originally Posted By: 38sho
Originally Posted By: CSM746
Another important tip is that there is a turbo oil filter. I use a M1 #301 and the canister size is substantially larger.

some years of the passat spec this filter, some spec the smaller one, I put in whatever it calls for because thats right and I don't know any better, I'm not a VW expert!

but I did do the oil change on the Jetta 1.8T this morning, I used a pureone filter in the smaller size and the sob barely fit! I couldn't imagine using the bigger filter, I dunno if its any longer but it sure is wider.... kind of reminds me of the Motorcraft FL1A filter........

are there any reasons why the spec two different sizes for various years on the Turbo engines? I wouldn't mind using the large filter on the passats if I can get away with it without harming anything......

sorry for the hijack

As part of the Sludge CAmpaign by VW, they started using a larger filter to hold more oil. Originally they held 4 quarts, the larger filter brought that up to 4.5. Yes getting to it is a PITA, but as someone said you can remove the intake hose or as I did, the coolant reservoir to gain access.

The Jetta needs the smaller filter to fit, as the engine is mounted transversely. Jetta should hold 5-5.5 quarts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back