Zerex Asian Vehicle antifreeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of the OEM Asian coolants come pre-mixed. Why? They want you to flush the system using pre-mixed ONLY (no water by itself). A little wasteful but a good idea.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
What is so wrong with paying $5.00 for a half gallon of deionized water?

Because a full gallon of distilled is about $1. Deionized water is a bit overkill for automotive cooling purposes.

Originally Posted By: Coolant_Man
A lot of the OEM Asian coolants come pre-mixed. Why? They want you to flush the system using pre-mixed ONLY (no water by itself). A little wasteful but a good idea.

IMHO, too many people, when doing a complete flush on a cooling system, cannot seem to remove all of the air in the system apon adding new coolant. Many coolant mfg's are creating a 50/50 mix of coolant for car mfg's as well as the over the counter products so that a drain/refill will help eliminate the trapped air in the cooling system. It's easier to drain/refill than it is to do a complete flush and have the risk of trapped air in your cooling system(causing tempuature spikes). I like to do a complete cooling system flush of my systems but, I have been doing drain/refills lately using my own 50/50 mix. I may not be the optimum way but, it works well.

Quote:
I'd say it's more than "a little wasteful", I'd call it very wasteful. And, beyond that I'd call it generally impractical for anything other than a radiator drain and refill. Also, it is impossible to achieve a greater than 50% concentration, if desired, under any circumstance.

I say the coolant manufacturer's motive (in this case Ashland) goes beyond concern for a total flush with distilled water, it's called the PROFIT MOTIVE. IMO, there is no good reason not to come out with a full strength coolant choice. I've never heard of a flush with distilled water being harmful to the cooling system, as long a proper coolant concentration is reached at the end. It is a good idea though, for the coolant manufacturers.

I would never consider doing a total flush series using 50/50 coolant alone of any brand. The amount of old and wasteful new coolant to be properly disposed of would be absurd.

Bottom line, I will not even consider the new Zerex Asian until they deliver a full strength coolant. And then, they will need to make it more available than it is now.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

Bottom line, I will not even consider the new Zerex Asian until they deliver a full strength coolant. And then, they will need to make it more available than it is now.

Agree 100%.
thumbsup2.gif

If it was available at more places and 100% coolant I would have bought some for my Subaru, Toyota and my Dad's Honda powered Vue.

Instead I bought a case of the Peak Global lifetime...

Both will do the job safely and protect my engines.

Take care, Bill

Well....I might be getting a '03 Sienna.....and, while I have not made up my mind about what coolant to use......might go with G-05 instead......
But....I am thinking that the premix might work for my plan of drain & fill.
I DO agree that 100% coolant.....and add my own distilled water would likely be cheaper....
But to the point of keeping the cooling system with fresh, clean coolant....doing a couple of drain and flushes....say...every 2 years should keep the system clean....and not needing any system flushing.

I'm of the opinion that PGL is a similar and improved OAT to the Asian formulas. I think it's a better choice than G-05 and not to mention dexclones for replacement in Asian engines and probably GM as well. I can't say any of that is for certain since after all PGL inhibitor is proprietary. But the fact that PGL is available in full-strength and claims compatibility and longer life is icing on the cake.

I personally would not be satisfied with the protection provided by a drain and refill with pre-mix. I guess it's a lot better than doing nothing though. I think Toyotas are usually easy to drain the block, then I would be comfortable with 50/50 pre-mix. Some might disagree.

Originally Posted By: wiswind
Well....I might be getting a '03 Sienna.....and, while I have not made up my mind about what coolant to use......might go with G-05 instead......
But....I am thinking that the premix might work for my plan of drain & fill.
I DO agree that 100% coolant.....and add my own distilled water would likely be cheaper....
But to the point of keeping the cooling system with fresh, clean coolant....doing a couple of drain and flushes....say...every 2 years should keep the system clean....and not needing any system flushing.

+1

You will be just fine with the drain and fills. I would probably stick with Asian coolant.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I'm of the opinion that PGL is a similar and improved OAT to the Asian formulas. I think it's a better choice than G-05 and not to mention dexclones for replacement in Asian engines and probably GM as well. I can't say any of that is for certain since after all PGL inhibitor is proprietary. But the fact that PGL is available in full-strength and claims compatibility and longer life is icing on the cake.

I agree.

I've done my Toyota,Subaru and Honda powered Vue to it. Soon the GMC will get it along with another Chevy truck.

I think it will do me fine for anything I'm going to own. Plus its nice to have ONE coolant for all the cars.

50/50 is only for topping off in my book.

well I'm not Bill. I'd say nothing is 100% sure, but with a good flush I would think Peak Global would be at least as safe as switching to G-05, Green or Dexcool in an Asian vehicle. I'm of the belief it is the safest choice besides Asian formulas. If people can get by with putting Green in Asian cars and sometimes G-05, and GM FF Honda engines with Dexcool, I don't know why PGL would not at least be as safe. I'm not a Dexcool hater but really it is the only coolant that has a questionable record.

I was thinking along the lines of the Zerex Asian formula being a HOAT with the imediate protection being the Phosphate instead of the silicate.
So I would be inline with the OEM in the HOAT, but with the silicate instead of phosphates.
What I noticed with my old '96 windstar, if you have good coolant in the system, and keep it fresh......the system stayed clean.
In other words.....the HOAT that the OEM used.....with a imediate protection feature of Phosphate / Silicate let's call it the "H" and the long term of the "OAT" formulation...
I'm sure that I am over-simplifying it....

No I get your reasoning, but Dexcool protects fine against corrosion without "fast acting" inorganic ihhibitors like silicants or phosphates. The makers of Dexcool realize that fact. I don't see why Peak Global wouldn't protect as well and why Peak wouldn't be cognizant of the matter. The only thing that I would add is your '96 Ford mostly likely contained Green with no OAT so the inorganic inhibitors were a necessity. They aren't a necessity with an OAT.

Last edited:
Dexcool protects fine against corrosion without "fast acting" inorganic ihhibitors like silicants or phosphates. The makers of Dexcool realize that fact. I don't see why Peak Global wouldn't protect as well and why Peak wouldn't be cognizant of the matter...

Prove it.

The Asian auto makers want phosphates and others not using Deathcool want silicates specifically for fast-acting protection.

Dexcool protects fine against corrosion without "fast acting" inorganic ihhibitors like silicants or phosphates. The makers of Dexcool realize that fact. I don't see why Peak Global wouldn't protect as well and why Peak wouldn't be cognizant of the matter...

Prove it.

The Asian auto makers want phosphates and others not using Deathcool want silicates specifically for fast-acting protection.

Well you might have a point that most manufactures who don't use Dexcool want silicon or phosphate. But I don't need to prove to you Dexcool doesn't need them. The field service has proven that. The G-05 choice and Asian choice came probably before Peak Global, so manufactures aren't going to switch to it now. Asians never really wanted silicates in their AF. It's not my responsibilty to prove Global doesn't need the inorganics either. You haven't proven that it does. Maybe take your issue up with Peak? I don't agree with many of your assertions like G-05 was to replace Green and Dexcool and Asian wasn't, GM cooling system, "deathcool" etc, in the other coolant thread, but I don't really have the time or inclination to debate all that.

My '96 windstar came from the factory with green.....I switched it to G-05 a few years ago........
Although traditional green in its modern form would have been just fine.
In all honesty......folks who change their coolant.......regardless of brand/chemistry (within reason) are WAY ahead of most folks......as most folks just keep driving an driving with whatever came from the factory.......until a problem comes up.
I was thinking HOAT for the TOYOTA because that is what the OEM calls for......the difference being Phosphate vs Silicate.
Several years ago.....my mechanic told me that he had done a lot of reading, and came to the conclusion that PEAK Global was the way to go for him as what to stock.....1 coolant for all applications.
Again.....I am sure that it is fine......and the customer who gets it is far ahead of the average person who leaves the same stuff in there well past its day.

Well you might have a point that most manufactures who don't use Dexcool want silicon or phosphate. But I don't need to prove to you Dexcool doesn't need them. The field service has proven that. The G-05 choice and Asian choice came probably before Peak Global, so manufactures aren't going to switch to it now. Asians never really wanted silicates in their AF. It's not my responsibilty to prove Global doesn't need the inorganics either. You haven't proven that it does.

The fact that Asians want phosphates proves the replacement coolant should contain the same.

Maybe take your issue up with Peak?

No. Peak created Global in order to get rich. It's called a patent. This is why GM licenses the use of the formula and the word of their [censored] product to other companies for use. It's all about money.

I don't agree with many of your assertions like G-05 was to replace Green and Dexcool and Asian wasn't, GM cooling system, "deathcool" etc, in the other coolant thread, but I don't really have the time or inclination to debate all that.

No. You simply don't possess the knowledge. Back in the 1990s, there was a push here in the US for longer life coolant. GM was the first with Deathcool. Ford and Chrysler checked into it and Chrysler decided not to use it and Ford used it from 1999-2002 in the Mercury Cougar and the EV Ranger. Ford and Chrysler both went to G-05 around 2002 which had been used in Europe for numerous years.

Using the Zerex Application Chart, the GM specs for green coolant are GM1825M and GM 1899M. Both of these are met by G-05 yet are not met by Deathcool. Therefore, these specs cannot be met by Deathclones such as Super Tech, Peak, and Prestone.

So since Ford and Chrysler went from green to G-05, it can easily be assumed that G-05 is the direct replacement to green.

THERE IS NO PREFERABLE ORGANIC SUBSTITUTE FOR PHOSPHATES OR SILICATES! And this is why HOAT coolants such as G-05 and Asian are used by automakers requiring phosphates or silicates in their coolants.

Well you might have a point that most manufactures who don't use Dexcool want silicon or phosphate. But I don't need to prove to you Dexcool doesn't need them. The field service has proven that. The G-05 choice and Asian choice came probably before Peak Global, so manufactures aren't going to switch to it now. Asians never really wanted silicates in their AF. It's not my responsibilty to prove Global doesn't need the inorganics either. You haven't proven that it does.

The fact that Asians want phosphates proves the replacement coolant should contain the same.

Maybe take your issue up with Peak?

No. Peak created Global in order to get rich. It's called a patent. This is why GM licenses the use of the formula and the word of their [censored] product to other companies for use. It's all about money.

It' s not just about money, but meeting a standard and compatibility and reputation. Peak claims compatibility. G-05 doesn't, and do you think G-05 production isn't about money too?

Quote:
I don't agree with many of your assertions like G-05 was to replace Green and Dexcool and Asian wasn't, GM cooling system, "deathcool" etc, in the other coolant thread, but I don't really have the time or inclination to debate all that.

No. You simply don't possess the knowledge. Back in the 1990s, there was a push here in the US for longer life coolant. GM was the first with Deathcool. Ford and Chrysler checked into it and Chrysler decided not to use it and Ford used it from 1999-2002 in the Mercury Cougar and the EV Ranger. Ford and Chrysler both went to G-05 around 2002 which had been used in Europe for numerous years.

I don't possess this knowledge? If you say so. What was Dexcool replacing? Green. If you are trying to say G-05 was back-speced for Green by a manufacture, that is not the real reason why it was selected in the first place. You acknowleded that G-05 was a European long-life coolant for some time, so it was chosen by Ford and Chrysler to replace Green, just as Dexcool was first chosen by GM. You are kind of going in circles here I think, and I'm not really getting your point. Anyway, Your reply here really had no relation to the reason I disagree with you in the other thread.

Quote:
Using the Zerex Application Chart, the GM specs for green coolant are GM1825M and GM 1899M. Both of these are met by G-05 yet are not met by Deathcool. Therefore, these specs cannot be met by Deathclones such as Super Tech, Peak, and Prestone.
So since Ford and Chrysler went from green to G-05, it can easily be assumed that G-05 is the direct replacement to green.

First off I think I think Zerex's Application Chart is a bunch of baloney. I think they recommend Dexcool for just about everything on one of their charts I've seen. To use your statement earlier, it's all about $$$. Of course Dexcool is not going to meet GM spec for Green. Now, I think I see what you are meaning by "G-05 is a direct replacement for Green". G-05 is very similar to Green and because of the OAT it has a longer service life than Green. But keep in mind we are not talking about filling classic cars that maybe ahve iron blocks, brass radiators etc, that originally were factory filled with Green. Those cars should get Green anyway, and perhaps you're right G-05 is the next most compatible choice. We were discussing cars that did not come with green originally. Also what you are saying only supports my staements earlier that Green worked fine in Asian cars.

Quote:
THERE IS NO PREFERABLE ORGANIC SUBSTITUTE FOR PHOSPHATES OR SILICATES! And this is why HOAT coolants such as G-05 and Asian are used by automakers requiring phosphates or silicates in their coolants.

That is a bold statement that isn't support with real facts. Dexcool might very well protect against corrosion as well or better than those two with out these inorganic inhibitors. And also Peak Global might too. Silicates and phosphates are not th same thing anyway. Dexcool, protects very well against corrosion of aluminum if no air is present in the cooling system. How many times do I have to say that?

Hey wiswind, I totally agree with your common sense, or maybe not some common, reasoning. I know PGL is not Dexcool, and maybe for the better, but Dexcool has proven that you do not necessarily need an inorganic "fast acting" inhibitor to get great corrosion protection. But what I was saying is if you are going to switch coolants, for the purposes of compatibility the different coolant lacking silicants which aren't even ecommended for an Asian vehicle anyway or some other inorganic inhibitor, is probably a good thing. That follows Peak's line of reasoning and other coolant manufacturers as well. All that matters is hoiw good and compatible the OAT inhibitor is. I guess the debate centers around the question, do you have to have phosphates for an Asian application. And I would say no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back