Mann oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amsoil has stopped making a oil filter for my car (Well in the 25000 mile one EAO) so I am trying this Mann one they have, (Good for 7500 miles) does anyone have a thought on these IE review ?????

I know they also have Wix products but I like the idea or option of leaving it on for a few miles.......
19.gif

Last edited:
Is it a Toyota? if so, then yes, Amsoil stopped recommending their own EOA filters as they were clogging up. Mann makes a very good filter - how far OCI ru hoping for?

Mann filters are excellent quality - They're the factory filter for Mercedes and a few others I believe. Filters for the US market are made in the USA. The company is headquartered in Germany.

"You know the Germans always make good stuff" - The Shamwow guy.

Mann filters are fine. Actually that's all I used to run in my Volvo.

Not sure the EaO's were "clogging up", more like Amsoil recommended a relatively shorter OCI for the Toyota "sludge" engines, and the EaO didn't make sense for those engines. Bugs me that Amsoil discontinued the EaO for the Toyota's altogether, even the nonsludgers.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Mann filters are fine. Actually that's all I used to run in my Volvo.

Not sure the EaO's were "clogging up", more like Amsoil recommended a relatively shorter OCI for the Toyota "sludge" engines, and the EaO didn't make sense for those engines. Bugs me that Amsoil discontinued the EaO for the Toyota's altogether, even the nonsludgers.

It is the EA010 fits the SX4 Suzuki as well and the EA009 as well they stopped using.
Thanks for the replys look forward to seeing how it pans out only got a few miles on it just changed it when got a card from Amsoil saying to change my 10 at regular factory oil changing mileage little expensive oil filter to be doing that but what can you do.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edwardh1
confusing - how does the amsoil filter contribute to sludge

The filter doesn't contribute to sludge ... the issue is that the filter is too effective for engines that create sludge so the filter could clog up with sludge if ran for a long OCI. That's why Amsoil recommends cutting the OCI down to the factory recommended interval ... so there is less change that the filter will clog and cause low oil pressure.

mann is a fine filter. for toyota, I prefer denso first time fit filters, available from any worldpac retailer online.

I have a question how or why do they have a mileage restriction on some filter well really all I guess, how do you know when the oil filter is done it's job, finished and ready to be changed because it usefulness is over????

What happens when you push a oil filter past it's limit??

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BAD1
I have a question how or why do they have a mileage restriction on some filter well really all I guess, how do you know when the oil filter is done it's job, finished and ready to be changed because it usefulness is over????

I would assume the manufactures use some kind of "average" contamination rate of the filter due to a "normal" car, and then determine how many miles that equates to in a "normal" car.

What happens when you push a oil filter past it's limit??

As the filter gets more and more contamination in the media, the pressure drop across the media will also increase more and more. When the pressure drop becomes equal to the setting of the bypass valve, the valve will start to open so the pressure drop doesn't exceed a certain limit.

Of course, if the bypass valve doesn't work correctly and/or the media is weak in spots, the media can start to tear and fail.

The main purpose of the bypass valve is to ensure the engine still gets oil (its unfiltered though) and the media doesn't fail from high pressure difference across it.

Thank you for the indepth explenation, I have a friend at work that runs Baldwin filters (Oil) at least twice the prescibed milage set by the manafacture so I was just wanting to know if there was a rule of thumb to go by.
I guess the one is what the manafacture sets isn't it, if you want to be safe....
33.gif

I also read on here about maybe using a bigger filter, IE: longer, how do go about finding one of these asuming you have room to use it I know that one?????

Last edited:
Thank you for the indepth explenation, I have a friend at work that runs Baldwin filters (Oil) at least twice the prescibed milage set by the manafacture so I was just wanting to know if there was a rule of thumb to go by.
I guess the one is what the manafacture sets isn't it, if you want to be safe....
33.gif

Actually, running an OCI that is recommended by the manufacture of the vehicle is the same way to go - the manufacture assumes someone is going to use a standard or OEM filter. Running a filter twice as long as the vehicle manufacture recommends MIGHT be OK IF you use a filter that is known to be suitable for long OCIs.

I also read on here about maybe using a bigger filter, IE: longer, how do go about finding one of these asuming you have room to use it I know that one?????

Best way to find out is ask on this board. Say what vehicle you have, what the specified filter is in a few brands, and ask if there is a longer equivalent filter that will work on that vehicle.

Well lets try that theory about a longer oil filter for my vehicle, here goes, it is a 2007 Suzuki SX4 J20A engine.

Hope this helps find a larger oil filter for this vehicle.

Some filters are !!!

Baldwin B37

Mann ML1017

Amsoil EAO10

WIX 51396

So I am asking if there is a longer equivalent filter that will work on this vehicle.

Last edited:
If the longest one is going to around 3.5in, that is what the Baldwin B37 is, and I can get them through work at or cheaper than the Mann ML1017 (And probably get the same mileage out of it 7500) didn't realize that the B37 was 3.5 till know thanks for the update.

Does anyone know what the mileage is on a Wix 51396 oil filter the Mann ML1017 is 7500 miles and cheaper than the Wix almost half.

Does anyone know what the mileage is on a Wix 51396 oil filter the Mann ML1017 is 7500 miles and cheaper than the Wix almost half.

If your engine is pretty new and in good condition inside (ie, not sludged up), I'd think almost any filter of decent size could go 7500 mile OCIs.

What does your vehicle's manufacture recommend for OCIs?

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Mann filters are excellent quality - They're the factory filter for Mercedes and a few others I believe. Filters for the US market are made in the USA. The company is headquartered in Germany.

US-market MANN filters are made by Purolator and are equivalent to the PremiumPLUS/Classic line.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
Here's the PureONE that the WIX 51396 crosses to. (L14477)

It's 3.5" long filter like the WIX 51396. These are small diameter filters (2.7"), and it might be tough finding one longer than 3.5" ... the short models of these filters are only 2.9" long - so the 3.5" ones are the "long filters".

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/resources/Popup/Pages/PartDetailPopup.aspx?partnum=L14477

Just to expand on this a little...

'Long' filters:

Wix 51396
Baldwin B37
MANN ML1017
Purolator L14477
Fram PH4386

I don't think you're going to find anything longer than the 3.5" filter your car is already spec'd for.

And for reference:

'Short' filters:

Wix 51394
Baldwin B33
MANN ML1009
Purolator L14476
Fram PH4967

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
US-market MANN filters are made by Purolator and are equivalent to the PremiumPLUS/Classic line.

Interesting. These are the white ones with green lettering?
I know I use a black VW OES Mann that is made in Germany and has no similarity to Purolators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back