Scion tC power steering fluid change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: unDummy
BTW, towing doesn't affect my PSF system much. Using the steering wheel does!

Wrong. Towing greatly affects the temperature of the power steering system. Honda requires the installation of a power steering cooler if you decide to install a hitch onto one of their vehicles.

As for the fluid itself, I do not know of a single person who has had power steering problems because they failed to change the fluid. Most people don't change their brake fluid either and I don't see people dying due to crashes from brake failure.

I don't see why junkyard comparisions are meaningless.

Hate to say it, but I swear that you should open your own Jiffy Lube.
LOL.gif

I have a 2006 Tacoma and flushed it at around 30K. The fluid looked fine and I didnt noticed any improvements with the Red Line D4, although its more about the piece of mind it brings!

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: unDummy
BTW, towing doesn't affect my PSF system much. Using the steering wheel does!

Hate to say it, but I swear that you should open your own Jiffy Lube.
LOL.gif

I would be a loyal customer if he did!

Originally Posted By: 02zx9r
I would be a loyal customer if he did!

So would I, but I think I'd turn down all of his "recommended" services.

crackmeup2.gif

I believe the spec interval for the tC is 30K. There are oil coolers on those.... but, they are nothing more than a loop and not terribly efficient. It amazes me how beat my PS fluid gets on my Toyo 4 cyl. and I'm using M1 syn ATF... doing a drain/fill of the reservoir every 2.5K. For the relatively small cost of <qt of ATF.... I recommend you do it more frequently than every 30K.

I need to at least siphon/fill I haven't ever touched mine and I've got 74k miles. From what I've read, yins are using synthetic auto-trans fluid as power steering fluid? I bought valvoline max life PSF. Will it work as good? Drive a Scion tC also.

Last edited:
Many PS systems require ATF so stick with it.

Whether a PSF will work good is for you to test. May work better or it may work worse.

If it were mine, I'd trade the Maxlife PSF for Maxlife ATF.

Originally Posted By: kraxxus
I need to at least siphon/fill I haven't ever touched mine and I've got 74k miles. From what I've read, yins are using synthetic auto-trans fluid as power steering fluid? I bought valvoline max life PSF. Will it work as good? Drive a Scion tC also.

You are supposed to use Dex II or III ATF in the PS system in all toyota's. They say it right on the cap.

Even with a simple drain and fill, you'll notice a steering improvement.

Just use the right stuff.

I'm sure to change out the rack on one of these w/b over $1000 so to not inject a few fresh ozs. of new fluid at oil change is just crazy. I do it all the time and any used vehicle I've bought always had brownish fluid in there.

PS systems are very expensive,have a high pressure pump and deal with temperature extremes.

Replacing a few quarts of fluid hardly seems like overkill to me.

A magnafine is a few bucks and razor blade to install. If you are the kind of person who reads this forum it's hard for me to believe you wouldn't want to do PS fluid replacements on a regular basis.

Last edited:
I use any synthetic ATF on sale. SO one time I used ATF+4 last time I used Dex IV from Walmart and the time before that I think I used M1 ATF. I like synthetic because these Toyota powersteering units in the Camry and the Scion TC did not ship from the factory with a cooler like all the trucks have. I find that the cars oxidize the snot out of the fluid fairly quickly.I might try Redline in it after winter is over. I put a little bit of MMO maybe 3 onces in it at the start of winter. It makes it a tad thinner and will clean all the junk out that has accumulated over the last 6 years. I ran one TOyota 4Runner on nothing but MMO for over 12 years before the power steering pump failed. So I know MMO in low amounts like 3-5 onces will not hurt a thing.

Anything DexII or better will work just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back