10w-30 trans oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a pair of Case front end loaders that both call for 10w-30 engine oil for the transmission. Should the engine oil meet any specific API classifications or doesn't it really matter for a trans. They are both ZF powershift tranmissions with 4 speeds. In the past, we've just used whatever they have at Napa which is oil rated for gas engines.

I used to work for a Forklift dealership and some forklifts did indeed use a 10w-30 motor oil . Use HDEO oil which is a far superior oil as compared to a passenger car motor oil.

I forgot to add that if you look up the specs on oil they should list a the trans approval number . Like gl3 for example, it has been awhile.

I'm not sure on years or trans model but the one loader is an 821 and the other is an 821C. Usually I get one of the loaders in the shop to service it and see it's due for a trans oil change and just do it without any planning ahead. Will have to make a point to try and keep some HD 10w-30 on hand. We also have a Case 450 skid-steer and a Cat Challenger MT765B that call for 10w-30 for hydraulic oil. I'd imagine I should use the same HD oil in those as well?

Hi,
you should use a conventional 10W-30 lubricant as specified

Commonality with engines as a 10W-30 HDEO is not a bad idea of course

Castrol do/did make a specific lubricant "TFC410" which met ZF TE-ML 03, 04, 06 and 14 in an appropriate viscosity - this may not be available in NA

IMO it is always wise to follow the Manufacturer's specified fluids - especially in the case of ZF for instance

I think I'm going to have to find some literature for our loaders and figure out what those specs are. Thanks for the advice.

I got a operator's manual off ebay and I guess the trans is supposed to use 15w-40 engine oil instead of 10w-30. The crazy thing is, I talked to a couple Case techs that said that it was supposed to take 10w-30. Hope I didn't cause too much damage. We are having some issues with that same loader right now that it doesn't want to move very well but I'm hoping it might be unrelated.

When I was saying that the loader quit moving on us, turns out the trans had a complete failure. Had nothing to do with the oil we were using in it though . Inside the trans, the output tube from the charge pump to the valve body and torque converter cracked so none of the oil was getting to where it should be and all the clutches and everything got burned up in it. Had it sent out to a shop and should be getting it back anytime.

Those transmissions originally came from the factory filled with Case HyTran hydraulic oil. At some point- roughly 2000-2001, Case and/or ZF changed their mind, and decided that these machines (621,721,821, B, C) should use 15W40 in the transmissions. Not sure what the reasoning was, but I did swap the fluid in several of them. Seeings how the viscosity of 10w30 will generally fall somewhere between that of hydraulic oil and 15w40... I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I do that know some of the bigger Allison transmissions can use either DexIII or 15W40, depending on temperature range and application. I've been told (haven't seen it in writing, though) that the transmissions produce less heat when running on 15w40 due to less slippage in the torque converter.

I run a Case 721B. It has a slight trans leak. We always added 10w30 EO. The book calls for engine oil, or ATF. It is critical to put the proper transmission oil in these machines. Failure to do so will result in a slipping torque converter or transmission clutch packs resulting in premature failure. The reason I know this is from previous experience. Another machine we have at work is a dresser 520 B. This machine calls for 10 weight non detergent engine oil specifically. The transmission oil capacity of the dresser is 5 gallons. I added two quarts one day to top it off with hydraulic tractor fluid and the transmission slipped so bad I could barely make it into the shop to change it to the proper oil! Do your homework on proper lubricants for heavy equipment. There are a million different types.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back