MMO - I Almost Hate To Admit it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You take good care of your vehicle.
Bet you would notice an improvement in operation though, it's not distilled water in that crankcase.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ronn
Originally Posted By: daman
Has anyone done a VOA on MMO?? whats all in it????

Check out this link: MMO Contents

Naphthenic Hydrocarbons are base oils, the same oils that are used in transmission and power steering fluids. Mineral spirits and Chlorinated Hydrocarbons are solvent that dissolve sludge and varnish keeping them in suspension until they are either burned in the combustion chamber of removed when your crankcase oil is changed.

thanks,,so to a 5qt sump how much should one put in? how much is 25%? 1 qt?

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
do you really need MMO

Not for cars owned since new unless they are problem prone even with perfect care. Used cars may need some help undoing what the previous owner did.

Originally Posted By: severach
Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
do you really need MMO

Not for cars owned since new unless they are problem prone even with perfect care. Used cars may need some help undoing what the previous owner did.

I've worked on cars friends owned over the years that were on a 3 month 3000 mile OCI, very well maintained 1 owner. A few need valve cover gaskets, and much to my surprise were in need of some cleaning, some with less than 75,000 miles. Most were NY stop and go short trip cars. At some point my thoughts are most engines will need some internal cleaning, it just depends on how the car was used. Well maintained cars seeing a lot of highway miles would most likely be the exception.

Naphthenic Hydrocarbons are base oils, the same oils that are used in transmission and power steering fluids. Mineral spirits and Chlorinated Hydrocarbons are solvent that dissolve sludge and varnish keeping them in suspension until they are either burned in the combustion chamber of removed when your crankcase oil is changed.

It's 20%, so 1Qt. However, it is recommended that you FIRST use around 16oz (1/2qt)1K mi or so PRIOR to your next oil change and then switch to 20%. That's what I just did (16oz). Actually, I want to be conservative and will probably do the same for EACH OC and not run it for the entire OCI nor will I add 1Qt (20%), but 1/2Qt 1-2K prior to OC. (10%). Also, I added 4oz to a 1/2 tank of gas and will do that from now on. Car runs GREAT so far.

It's 20%, so 1Qt. However, it is recommended that you FIRST use around 16oz (1/2qt)1K mi or so PRIOR to your next oil change and then switch to 20%. That's what I just did (16oz). Actually, I want to be conservative and will probably do the same for EACH OC and not run it for the entire OCI nor will I add 1Qt (20%), but 1/2Qt 1-2K prior to OC. (10%). Also, I added 4oz to a 1/2 tank of gas and will do that from now on. Car runs GREAT so far.

That is a great way to use it. Once the engine is clean a pint anywhere from 500 to a 1000 miles before you drop the oil is fine. Then if you like you can add either a pint or a qt for the full OCI during the winter months

I have a Ranger with 115k miles. I had a fuel pump "whine" noise. Used MMO in the gas for a month. "Whine" noise gone.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: millerbl00
I have a Ranger with 115k miles. I had a fuel pump "whine" noise. Used MMO in the gas for a month. "Whine" noise gone.

Maybe the MMO either cleaned or lubed your FUEL PUMP. JMO

I used to have a "flat spot" at about 62 mph, truck would kinda loose power or whatever. MMO in the gas fixed it in about 5 tanks. Now MMO goes in every tank as along as i have some handy.

thanks....

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
I put a little behind my ears every morning... Now I have to carry around an axe handle wherever I go to beat the women away. It's magical.

Well you do live in Texas.. there's some weird women down there..

I use MMO in my mower gas and occasionally in my car's gas. The mowers start better in the spring and run better generally. Less carb troubles. I buy it by the qt from Wally World
In the cars, I notice a little more pep, no real gain in MPG. I have run a pint through the oil with no noticable affects, good or bad. Its December and the 20W 50 dino gets pretty thick. I will prolly dose the oil with MMO to thin it out and do some cleaning.
Once I soaked a dried out fuel pump diaphram in MMO overnight. The pump had sat on a shelf for 10 yrs. I put it my Jeep and drove for 5 yrs.
The wintergreen smell is salicylic acid, the active ingredient in liniments and aspirin. I dont care if the stuff is snake oil, (I dont think it is) I like the smell.

Originally Posted By: andyd

The wintergreen smell is salicylic acid, the active ingredient in liniments and aspirin. I dont care if the stuff is snake oil, (I dont think it is) I like the smell.

Acetylsalicylic acid is what is in aspirin. As aspirin degrades it will turn back into salicylic acid. We made salicylic acid in organic chemistry lab and it does not have a strong wintergreen smell as I recall.

Last edited:
8 ounces of MMO in the gas tank of my F150 (25 gallons) typically increases the gas mileage at least 5%.

Originally Posted By: Meo
8 ounces of MMO in the gas tank of my F150 (25 gallons) typically increases the gas mileage at least 5%.

Nice!

Tried my fuel pump experiment again. After 1 tank with NO MMO fuel pump whine was back. When I refilled again I used 12oz and whine was gone in 2 min. I can hardly believe it!

Originally Posted By: millerbl00
Tried my fuel pump experiment again. After 1 tank with NO MMO fuel pump whine was back. When I refilled again I used 12oz and whine was gone in 2 min. I can hardly believe it!

It works well at that. I had a float hanging up in a used car I bought and thought I was going to have to drop the tank and replace it. A few tanks of gas with MMO added and the float started working again, and stayed that way until I sold the car. Sure beats dropping a gas tank!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back