VW Golf Diesel Oil Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I'm a new member to this site and have a question. I am a US DoD contractor in Germany and have recently bought a 2005 VW Golf Plus. It has a 1.9 liter diesel and I really like the fit and finish, as well as the great fuel economy. The car was dealer maintained and has had all of the periodic scheduled maintenance performed. I like doing minor work to my cars, which includes oil and filter changing. Currently, the car has Castrol 5W-30 SLX Professional Powerflow VW Longlife III running in it. This oil is very expensive (by US standards), like around 25 euros a liter. I've seen in a store recently 5-30W oil by Blue Moly; it sells for about 15 euros for 5 liters. I'm spoiled to the US prices of about $6 per quart for 100% synthetic oil. I know this the oil listed above is recommended by Castrol, but can anyone tell me if I can use another very good quality oil, but at a much lower price? Brand name and type oil would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I'd highly doubt the oil that's 15 euros for 5 liters meets the required VW 505.01 or 507.00 oil spec that's needed for that model TDI.

You might find some 5w40 505.01 oil that's a little cheaper.

Go by spec and verify that it truly has a VW approval. changing oils is perfectly fine, but it is tough for us to make a determination, since you may have significantly different oils over there.

Some trusted Euro manufacturers you can look for are:
-Motul
-Lubro moly
-Elf
-Total

In addition to our usual ones like shell, mobil, castrol, pennzoil, etc.

Welcome to the site, Yobow1. You're in Stuttgart at a very great time of the year to enjoy the Kristkindlmarkt in both Germany and a short train ride south to Strasbourg.

I spend a great deal of time in Stuttgart (south of town in Nagold and east of town in Kirchheim u. Teck) when my work sends me there.

You've obviously noticed that the price for oils and fuels is quite high. There is a autoparts chain there that is similar to AutoZone, Advance, or O'Reilly's that has a great selection of oils and parts. Get out the phone book and look for A.T.U Autoteile (ATU.de on the net). I looked on their web page and the lowest price 505.01 product was from Valvoline at €13,00 per liter. The product is Valvoline diesel T Pumpe D 5W-40. They also sell their own private label product and you could go in and ask them if they have a private label VW 505.01 rated oil. The private label products usually run around €8 pro liter.

Good luck with your search. I really enjoy Stuttgart but their Stuttgarter Hofbräu beer doesn't much care for me.

Originally Posted By: yobow1
Hello, I'm a new member to this site and have a question. I am a US DoD contractor in Germany and have recently bought a 2005 VW Golf Plus. It has a 1.9 liter diesel and I really like the fit and finish, as well as the great fuel economy. The car was dealer maintained and has had all of the periodic scheduled maintenance performed. I like doing minor work to my cars, which includes oil and filter changing. Currently, the car has Castrol 5W-30 SLX Professional Powerflow VW Longlife III running in it. This oil is very expensive (by US standards), like around 25 euros a liter. I've seen in a store recently 5-30W oil by Blue Moly; it sells for about 15 euros for 5 liters. I'm spoiled to the US prices of about $6 per quart for 100% synthetic oil. I know this the oil listed above is recommended by Castrol, but can anyone tell me if I can use another very good quality oil, but at a much lower price? Brand name and type oil would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

With the Diesel Particulate Filter on the car, technically, a VW507 oil, such as the current oil is still best for the car.

There are plenty of 507 oil options in avaialable in Europe from:
Mobil 1 ESP 504/507 5sw30
Total Quartz Ineo 504/507
etc

Hello, I'm a new member to this site and have a question. I am a US DoD contractor in Germany and have recently bought a 2005 VW Golf Plus. It has a 1.9 liter diesel and I really like the fit and finish, as well as the great fuel economy. The car was dealer maintained and has had all of the periodic scheduled maintenance performed. I like doing minor work to my cars, which includes oil and filter changing. Currently, the car has Castrol 5W-30 SLX Professional Powerflow VW Longlife III running in it. This oil is very expensive (by US standards), like around 25 euros a liter. I've seen in a store recently 5-30W oil by Blue Moly; it sells for about 15 euros for 5 liters. I'm spoiled to the US prices of about $6 per quart for 100% synthetic oil.

This would have a pumpe duse (PD) engine very much like the PD engines sold in North America. Many PD owners in North America have switched, after the warranty period. to Mobil 1 5w40 Turbo Diesel Truck or Mobil Delvac 1 5w40. These products meet API CJ-4 specs, not VW specs, but they do a fine job of protecting the TDI PD engines. This might be an oil that you can find at the AAFES store.

If your Golf had a diesel particulate filter, then maybe I'd recommend something else.

Can you get Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 or Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W40 in Germany? Both would be good oils for the TDI. The 5W30 carries VAG 507 approval.

Here is a long list of MB 229.51 oils, which is a similar requirement to the VW requirement:
http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten...ent_action=show
Also, I believe the oils in 229.31 will also work, most of them anyway. The page switcher is at the top of the page.
If the vehicle does not have a DPF (diesel particulate filter) you have an even broader choice of oils in 229.3 and 229.5.
Be cognizant that motor oil in Europe can be 2-3 times as expensive as similar products in the US.
You are going to have to look at the specs for any oil on these lists to see if the meet your VW requirement.

Charlie

Tornado, my car does have a particulate filter. Will some oils clog this filter...sounds like it, but not sure of the mechanics. Thx.

Yobow, I don't understand the mechanics of it either. IMO it is more important to use an ultra-low-sulfur fuel than it is to use a particular engine oil. Only a tiny bit of engine oil will ever get past the piston rings into the combustion chamber; the additives in that oil can never have as much effect on the longevity of the DPF as the additives in a single tank of high-sulfur fuel.

Here's my recommendation: during the warranty period (60k miles for the drive train) use the correct VW-rated oil. Comply with the warranty, just in case. After the warranty period, use whichever oil provides the best engine protection -- and if the emissions systems are working okay, then you may want to choose an oil based on keeping those systems functional. This oil may or may not meet a VW spec, there are API-rated oils which might work just as well.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Can you get Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 or Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W40 in Germany? Both would be good oils for the TDI. The 5W30 carries VAG 507 approval.

Just for emphasis, the Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 does NOT have VAG 507 approval. Interestingly, 5w-30 comes in liters, 5w-40 comes in quarts. Same price.

Originally Posted By: Boatowner
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger

Just for emphasis, the Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 does NOT have VAG 507 approval. Interestingly, 5w-30 comes in liters, 5w-40 comes in quarts. Same price.

That is true, the ESP Formula M meets MB and BMW specs only, and should probably not be used until after the warranty period.

The liters of 5w30 are imported, the quarts of 5w40 are produced domestically.

Hey Tornado, I see where you lived in San Diego? Where abouts; that's where our house is (remember, we've been in Germany for the last 3.5 years). I read everything you all have mentioned and will consider it, especially visiting ATU. I'll let you all know what I do in the future. Have a wonderful Christmas and New Year!!!

Hey Tornado, I see where you lived in San Diego? Where abouts; that's where our house is (remember, we've been in Germany for the last 3.5 years). I read everything you all have mentioned and will consider it, especially visiting ATU. I'll let you all know what I do in the future. Have a wonderful Christmas and New Year!!!

Some people think I'm crazy, but.... I am moving back to San Diego. I can't make any money here and I don't like shoveling snow as much as I thought I would.

(Running the snow blower is fine, I enjoy it actually, but when we got 14" a couple weeks ago I had to shovel a path to the street and to my trailer so I could travel across town to get the snow blower from my sister's garage. )

I must say this is a GREAT thread. All this help from so many that know something about the part of Germany he lives in. No oil or VW bashing, just good old fashioned help.

Carry on
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Tornado Red
Tornado, my car does have a particulate filter. Will some oils clog this filter...sounds like it, but not sure of the mechanics. Thx.

I believe it is a corderite or similar support that has a small injection system - the device goes through a "burn off" every so often, to fully burn the particles.

In our current setup, we are trading tons of CO2 for small quantities of NOx and particulates, better or worse. You would have an EPA rated 50 MPG car or better without this stuff.

Wow, I went to that http://www.atu.de/online-shop/oele-5532/ website and I am just astounded at how expensive oil is over there. (I plugged 507.00 into the search window.)

The Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5w30, that costs $6.99/liter at Pep Boys, is $21.99 Euros per liter! That is the equivalent of $31.35 per liter!

I wonder if anyone has thought of ordering from an online vendor in the US and getting oil shipped to Germany? A six-pack that costs about $42 in the US would be $188, shipping would be far less than the retail price differential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back