Recommendation for 2010 GMC Sierra with 5.3L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a recommendation for which synthetic to use for my new truck, a 2010 GMC Sierra with the 5.3L Aluminum Block Flex-Fuel engine (and 4WD). I'm good with store-bought or online-bought oil. Despite being a flex fuel engine, I don't plan on running the E85 due to cost and limited availability. I haven't actually taken delivery on it yet, but once I do I plan on changing the oil over to the synthetic after the engine's broken in at 500-1000 miles. The manual says to use a SAE 5W-30 oil that meets the GM6094M standard. I live in North Texas, so winters aren't terribly cold and summers are very hot.

My driving style is what I'd call moderate (not slow and lazy, but also not fast and hectic). My normal commute is right at 10 miles one way, and my driving mix is about 80-90% on typical surface streets in moderate traffic, the rest being highway driving. Only occasionally do I drive off-road or on unpaved dirt or gravel roads (maybe once a month at most). I'll only put about 1000 miles a month on the truck, so I don't necessarily need an extended oil change interval, but am also fine with one if that's recommended. I only occasionally tow (maybe 1-2 times a year, don't come anywhere close to the max tow ratings) and haul heavy loads (maybe 8-10 times a year, at most 1000 lbs, well within the payload rating) so this is primarily just my all-around vehicle, not a true work truck.

Thanks for the help!

Originally Posted By: texasblueline
Looking for a recommendation for which synthetic to use for my new truck, a 2010 GMC Sierra with the 5.3L Aluminum Block Flex-Fuel engine (and 4WD). I'm good with store-bought or online-bought oil. Despite being a flex fuel engine, I don't plan on running the E85 due to cost and limited availability. I haven't actually taken delivery on it yet, but once I do I plan on changing the oil over to the synthetic after the engine's broken in at 500-1000 miles. The manual says to use a SAE 5W-30 oil that meets the GM6094M standard. I live in North Texas, so winters aren't terribly cold and summers are very hot.

My driving style is what I'd call moderate (not slow and lazy, but also not fast and hectic). My normal commute is right at 10 miles one way, and my driving mix is about 80-90% on typical surface streets in moderate traffic, the rest being highway driving. Only occasionally do I drive off-road or on unpaved dirt or gravel roads (maybe once a month at most). I'll only put about 1000 miles a month on the truck, so I don't necessarily need an extended oil change interval, but am also fine with one if that's recommended. I only occasionally tow (maybe 1-2 times a year, don't come anywhere close to the max tow ratings) and haul heavy loads (maybe 8-10 times a year, at most 1000 lbs, well within the payload rating) so this is primarily just my all-around vehicle, not a true work truck.

Thanks for the help!

welcome2.gif
to BITOG

Any of the synthetics found at Walmart would serve you well. What part of North Texas are you from? We are thinking about moving back to North Texas after a 20 year absence.

of course as my signature says you can guess wht im gonna say. i think Edge would be a good one for you, it helps to offset the cost if you follow the OLM system. If not syntec is a good choice and you could follow the OLM system there too

Originally Posted By: BovineScapegoat
Pennzoil Platinum 5W30. It's awesome. Many here would agree.

I've used the PP 5w-30 in my '07 Tahoe since the first oil change. The Tahoe has the same aluminum blocked flex fuel engine the OP is getting in his Sierra.

With almost 70,000 mile on the Tahoe it purrs like a kitten on the PP. I use the OLM and it usually wants a change between 6000-7000 miles.

Thanks all for the suggestions so far.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
What part of North Texas are you from? We are thinking about moving back to North Texas after a 20 year absence.
The McKinney area, if you've been gone for 20 yrs it's gonna look a whole lot different down here now!

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Does this engine require a syn oil ?
No it doesn't.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Are you going to change the differentials oil?
Yes, just hadn't decided on what to use for them yet either. GM says 80W-90 in the front diff and 75W-90 in the back. Was looking at AMSOIL, but hadn't looked much further than that.

I run Valvoline white bottle in our 5.3 silverado with 5-6.1k ocis via the OLM. Works great.

As for the differentials GM requires a synthetic, I use Valvoline Syn in the rear as we do not have a 4x4

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back