What are y'all's favorite cameras?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a nice digital camera and I was thinking about trying to get one for Christmas this year. I don't know much about them but I would like to have one that takes good pictures, obviously, but at a decent price. Let's say 2-3 hundred dollars. What are you guys' recommendations?

I really like my Canon Elphs. I've had a couple. You can probably get a nice one for around 150 (sd 1200, iirc, is the replacement for my sd1000). They are small, but I have big hands and don't have problems. They're also metal shelled, so they take a few more scratches without looking like they took a ride in a garbage disposal.

Probably larger cameras will be easier to use or have more features, but a camera I can fit in my jeans pocket is more likely to be around when there's something I want to take a picture of. I have a 16x20 enlargement, it looks good, so that shouldn't be a concern.

Last edited:
I like Canon. My A620 has worked nicely since I got it in 2006. Takes nice pictures for a point and shoot and it has a good range of manual controls. I'm not sure what is its current successor though.

Try to stay away from Kodak. They don't take great pictures.

Last edited:
canons are always sound. There are a few others that are decent too.

If you want quality, get a DSLR with a good 2.8 lens.

Check into Panasonic. I'm still using a 3 megapixel DMC-FZ3 from several years ago. It has 12X optical zoom, image stabilization, and a constant 2.8 aperture. The newer models have an even longer zoom, but the aperture is variable.

This definitely isn't pocket-sized, but it seems small to me after a 35mm SLR. It has been very versatile, for everything from landscapes to closeups of birds. If you go for a camera with a long zoom, be sure it has image stabilization. (I think most of them do by now.)

For reviews, imaging-resource.com is helpful. Researching there gave me a good idea of how to use my camera before it was out of the box.

count another vote for Canon.

For point and shoot, Fuji and Nikon would be your next best bets.
Sony and Panasonic make *some* good ones but not in the same league as the top three mentioned above.
Stay away brands that not mainstream for digital cameras like Kodak, GE, HP etc..

I use these sites when making a decision about a digital camera -

http://www.dcresource.com/
http://www.dpreview.com/
http://www.steves-digicams.com/
http://www.imaging-resource.com/
http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/

Another vote for Canon. I have an A80. I chose this in part because of the quality behind the name and also because it takes AA batteries. I don't have to worry if the battery fails or dies as I can just go buy more, not try to find a particular shop that sells the prepriatary one you need for $$$. Sometime I'm going to get a set of rechargeables. Charge at home or in my truck...no problem.
I did have an issue with the camera. I looked up the problem online and found out that it was common and that Canon would take care of it free of charge. I think they even paid for me to ship it out.
No isses since.

I have an Olympus FE-280.It's very small,metal bodied,8 megapixel,zoomy,lots of easy to use features.I carry it in a jacket pocket when riding my motorcycle - takes up no room,easy to get out and use.My wife and I both needed to upgrade after our first digital cameras died - she got a silver one,I got the black one....we can swap cards,swap batteries,use each others camera with a tuition period.

It doesn't like to be sat on......

Last edited:
Panasonic FZ series or Canon.

I've owned many digicams and I prefer a Panasonic FZ50 for a point & shoot camera (handles great, great IQ, 12x zoom focal range of 35-420mm, dependable, handles great, etc.), and I use a Canon EOS 20D for a dSLR.

I tend to favor my FZ-50 most of all because of the zoom range, superb handling, and dependability. dSLRs are nice but lenses for them can get expensive, plus it's kind of a PITA to change lenses a lot.

Taken with my FZ-50 :

Picture2098ps.jpg

I think the choices would be Canon, Panasonic, Sony or Olympus for point and shoot cameras. For some reason, the Casio cameras are not very popular but I have been impressed with their portability and performance.

I have an HP point & shoot that I really like, well, for those occasions where I want to carry a P&S. I've always preferred Nikon's SLRs (film and digital) and currently use a D80 but would buy a D300 in a heartbeat if the money was there.

PS - Fuji and Sony also are great cameras. I used to use Nikon P&S cameras a lot and liked them.

Nikon dSLRs are very good.

I've got the Canon Powershot SX110 IS that the PhotographyBLOG recommends. Takes great shots and with the 10x optical zoom it's pretty nice for reaching out and grabbing something. I'd recommend a mono/bi/tripod for the thing if you want to use the 10x zoom a lot.

Clark

I have the Canon SD850 and it's an excellent camera, for a point and shoot. DSLR, I'd go with a Nikon - but that's because I have the film SLR and am partial to them. Regardless, the Nikon DSLR's seem to do well vs the competition.

I have been shooting Nikon SLRs and DSLRs for the past 30 years. In the SLR arena, Nikon and Canon are usually your best bets. The Nikon D90 is incredibly sweet. I have one.

For small cameras, there are a few Nikon dogs out there, as much as I hate to say it. Panasonic and Canon are usually on top. One thing I like about the Panasonic is that they actually have wide-angle capability in their small cameras. This is a point that should not be discounted. Many camera buyers think that they want ZOOM (meaning, telephoto). 10X ZOOM, 12X, whoopie! The problem is, not very many interesting photos are taken at high levels of telephoto, unless you are shooting wildlife. You can't even hand-hold these small cameras at 400mm equivalent, f/6.3 or whatever... unless you are in very bright sunlight. Lots of telephoto makes for very FLAT images. Avoid that urge.

If you think you will take good photos of your kids sports events with these small cameras and oodles of zoom, please... trust me when I say that it's extremely difficult, and the small point and shoots just can't keep up with action.

If you learn to actually compose your photos, they will look so much more interesting. That is where you need wide-angle.

I actually DO NOT like P&S cameras that use AA batteries. The problem is, these batteries just don't have the juice to last very long. What happens is the marketing guys say that the engineers need to make the camera work with two AA batteries. The engineers comply, with a camera that lasts 30 or 40 shots with alkaline AA batteries. Rechargable batteries last even less. These cameras are finally starting to come out with their own dedicated lithium rechargable batteries. Use them. They work.

I have a Canon P&S A570, and the only batteries that last more than 10 minutes are non-rechargeable lithium. These run about $5 bucks for two. Sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back