Reusing gas dryer flex hoses, same dryer/location?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know you're not supposed to reuse natural gas flex hoses for dryers between appliances or between locations, but what about when moving the appliance in the same location?

We just moved into our new house and after installing the washer and dryer had some drainage issues. To fix that I had to pull the dryer out and disconnect it from the gas line. Do I really need to buy a new hose just for that, or can I reuse the one I just took off (which was brand new a few days ago)?

The flexible gas line? I'd sure reuse it if it was only days old. It's the ones that have been in use for years they don't recommend reusing AFAIK.

Joel

Well I wouldnt!!! I damaged my sense off smell when inhaling Chlorine fumes during a massive spill in the stock room. Sometimes I forget the mikl on the stove and I don't smell a thing when it boils over. Im afraid the whole house could be on fire and I wouldnt smell it Im terrifeid off natural gas!!!

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
If it leaks you'll smell it.

It is my policy to have a CO detector in every room with a gas appliance. I've noticed combined CO/gas leak detectors for rather cheap recently, and I'm going to put a few of those in my house.

Is it a flare fitting or is there an o-ring involved? Some types of flares crush once then may have a hard time sealing again.

They make a CO detector that also detects combustible gasses. On the down side, it goes off whenever the wife sprays something aerosol that uses propane as a propellant.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Is it a flare fitting or is there an o-ring involved? Some types of flares crush once then may have a hard time sealing again.

It's a flare fitting. I get the impression that they're mainly worried about the thing being slammed around during a move, or the flare connector mating incorrectly to new fitting surfaces, neither of which is the case here. I'll probably just reuse it then.

I wish I'd known about the combo CO/nat gas detectors! I already have a CO detector in that room and just bought one to put above the vent in the bedroom just in case. A natural gas detector would be great though, considering we've got the furnace, dryer, and gas water heater all in the same room.

I reinstalled the hose. No leaks detectable either by smell or by bubbles in the leak detector solution (at the connectors).

I'm probably just being paranoid but I have one more related question:

The positioning for the dryer in the little laundry closet here is a little awkward. Because of the way I have it shoved in there, the flex hose has to press up against the wall a little. Not much, but it's got a little tension on it.

Is this stress on the hose a problem? I can post pictures if needed..

Years ago, there was a problem with the flexible connectors. The advice may be to keep people from reusing the old, dangerous ones. I would reuse the newer one and check the connections with soapy water. If OK, OK.

Since dryers vibrate so much, I would be a little concerned about a stress fracture to the metal hose if the hose was wedged in between the dryer and wall. It might take many years though.

Also, I have been using soapy water to test gas connections for years. But recently I read that some soaps are so caustic that they can cause the fittings to corrode. I know that dish soaps like Dawn are pretty aggressive.

And......the "by the book" instructions say never to reuse a connector if you loosen it....interesting.

I've always reused mine, but most are on the stove. Right now my dryer is hooked up solid to pipe. Probably isn't to code, but it has been that way for several years now. Another odd thing I learned this week was that on the electric dryers since they don't come with a cord anymore you are required to buy a new cord to put on it, even though you have a perfectly good one you could take off your old dryer.

Could be the transition to 4 conductor cords. I think older houses with existing 3 prong outlets are still allowed to use 3 wire cords. Newer ones are required to use 4 wire ones, separate wires for neutral and ground.

Note, electricians and building inspectors are better sources for code info than retail clerks and guys on the net. Check before buying a cord. It is not in the best interest of the store selling the dryer to reuse the old cord.

Dryer cords are a ripoff. The last one I stripped back looked like only 16ga wire with 3/16" insulation around it. It's a big heavy cord, but it's more insulation than wire.

Originally Posted By: pcoxe
Dryer cords are a ripoff. The last one I stripped back looked like only 16ga wire with 3/16" insulation around it. It's a big heavy cord, but it's more insulation than wire.

Was that on the hot or neutral lines, or the ground? On 4-wire cords, the ground is allowed to be smaller.

If not, that cord was definitely not OK. Real UL-approved cords WILL have correct wire size.

That is true, but I also have found that sometimes the inspectors and electricians have different opinions of what code says. When I had the electrical work checked on my garage the inspector said one thing and the electrician said different, but went ahead and made the changes that the inspector wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back