Royal Purple Oil Experience - 2005 Mustang GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

I still doubt that any SM/GF-4 oil would have done notably better then M1 here.

I think that point is KEY.

I guess we see things differently which is OK. I looked at pictures and the info given, since that is all I had. I based a decision on that:

2007 Mustang GT [40,000 miles] OCI 4000-5000 miles
Mobil 1 5w20

2005 Mustang GT [70000 miles] RP OCI 5000-6000 miles.

Based on that and that alone to me the RP did better. Now we could say the 07 was beaten, had a bad cam, and go on and on. I went by what I say and what was written. As a side note the 2005 was driven 30000 more miles and had a longer OCI. Opinions vary, and its all good.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I guess we see things differently which is OK. I looked at pictures and the info given, since that is all I had. I based a decision on that:

Mobil 1 5w20

Based on that and that alone to me the RP did better. Now we could say the 07 was beaten, had a bad cam, and go on and on. I went by what I say and what was written. As a side note the 2005 was driven 30000 more miles and had a longer OCI. Opinions vary, and its all good.

black-eye.jpg

This guy had steak for lunch.

Obviously the steak gave him the black eye.

I looked at the pictures and the info given, since that is all I had. I based a decision on that:

Man has black eye
Man had steak for lunch

Based on that and that alone to me the steak gave him the black eye. Now we could say that he got in a fight, had an accident on the job, and go on and on. I went by what I say and what was written. Opinions vary, and it's all good.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

highfive.gif

highfive.gif

Hey where's my high 5? I think I was the first to give you props and agree with your point
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

Mobil 1 5w20

black-eye.jpg

This guy had steak for lunch.

Obviously the steak gave him the black eye.

I looked at the pictures and the info given, since that is all I had. I based a decision on that:

Man has black eye
Man had steak for lunch

Based on that and that alone to me the steak gave him the black eye. Now we could say that he got in a fight, had an accident on the job, and go on and on. I went by what I say and what was written. Opinions vary, and it's all good.

Sorry IMO more information was given about those two cams then some happy guy eating a steak. LOL we can go on forever! BTW I do enjoy your posts, and information you share here!
11.gif

The cam pics definitely show a huge wear difference to my layman`s eyes. Wasn`t there a post here recently with a 100k+ mile M1 Toyota cam that that was pitted and chipped?

Is it possible that the Timken test could have a corelation to camshaft wear?

Last edited:
With a picture and a caption there really isn't much else to go on. So if someone asked for an opinion I'd say based on what little info is presented RP did a better job. Now if its a trick question nothing said at all might be best.

Sorry IMO more information was given about those two cams then some happy guy eating a steak. LOL we can go on forever! BTW I do enjoy your posts, and information you share here!
11.gif

Thanks for the props. No hard feelings.

We both seem to agree that it's not enough to say "this is all I have to go on." The explanation has to be plausible, too.

Let me just point out one thing. Mobil 1 5w-20 is factory-approved for the Mustang. Don't you think that if factory-approved oils were this bad, we would know about it? Don't you think maybe Ford would pull the approval for Mobil 1 or change the spec or something? Honestly, think about it.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx

highfive.gif

Hey where's my high 5? I think I was the first to give you props and agree with your point
lol.gif

lol.gif
highfive.gif

Ok, I was talking to a guy online about the results, He was kind enought to GIVE me his 2006 Mustang GT CAMS, Mobil 1 since the day you brought it home. No Racing ever, never modded, until he installed the FRPP CAMS at 35,000 miles.
He Never drove the Car in Snow or Ice, (Like Me) he changed the Oil 3000-4000 miles. Warmed it up before he drove it (Remote Starter) He is a Car Show type. Massive Audio system..
He installed the FRPP Cams for the Thumping sound..

2006 Mustang GT (Top) M1 5w50
2007 Mustang GT (Middle) M1 5w50
2005 Mustang GT (Bottom) RP 5w20
taleof3cams.jpg

It was the cold idling warm up. j/k. I still can't say that the Mobil 1 cams are worn more or not without a micrometer mesurement. Isn't Mobil 5W50 a SM/GF4 oil too?

Here are the MIC Results (Digital Caliper) I may need to Buy a Micrometer if need be.

I had to use a tie wrap to align the Mic Verticle, if it twisted the results would be off. I first checked the Edge then moved the tie wrap to check the center of the cam.
I rotated the Mic and found absolute TDC which was the highest reading.

Royal Purple Cams (70,000 Miles) No noticable wear I got a 50.52 on the edge and the center
RP-edge.jpg

RP-center.jpg

I did the Same process on the Mobil 1 CAM, there was some wear but so little the Digital Micrometer would wobble between 50.51 and 50.52

Mobil 1 CAM (40,000 Miles)
M1-Edge.jpg

M1-Center.jpg

I checked the third cam - Mobil 1 Cam (35,000 Miles)
and I got the same results as the RP Cam 50.52 Center and Edge.

Strange thing is that all Cam Lobes where almost identical.
Each Lobe mesured 50.52 on the edge.

PDRM1950.jpg

Conclusion: The Royal Purple 5w20 did keep the follower scares to a minimum and kept the Cams very clean. The Mobil 1 Cams were Noticeably scared but most of the scaring was surface and minimal to no wear was measured.
I feel the markings on the M1 Cams are due to heat and it discolored the Metal which most people I talk too that it's normal to discolor due to friction.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2k05gt

2006 Mustang GT (Top) M1 5w50 -- correction 5w20
2007 Mustang GT (Middle) M1 5w50 -- correction 5w20
2005 Mustang GT (Bottom) RP 5w20

Last edited:
OK so far the wear between the Mobil And RP cams was cosmetic and discoloration. If my math is right, .01 mm is .0004, 4 ten-thousandths. That's a pretty fine measurement. Although I think a micrometer might have been more accurate this caliper should be accurate enough for comparions. I don't think Mobil 1 did too bad for being an SM/GF4 oil and not a race oil.

I feel the markings on the M1 Cams are due to heat and it discolored the Metal which most people I talk too that it's normal to discolor due to friction.

The lobe "scarring" is a polishing effect from metal to metal contact, a lack of boundary lubrication I think you'll see with most any ZDDP-light oil. I've seen dozens and dozens of used Modular cams and the wear seen on the M1 cams is typical.

The wear is negligible, the cams will never wear out (thank God for powdered metal lobes), but it does show a pretty dramatic difference in the oils, IMO.

The lobe "scarring" is a polishing effect from metal to metal contact, a lack of boundary lubrication I think you'll see with most any ZDDP-light oil. I've seen dozens and dozens of used Modular cams and the wear seen on the M1 cams is typical.

The wear is negligible, the cams will never wear out (thank God for powdered metal lobes), but it does show a pretty dramatic difference in the oils, IMO.

Good post.
01.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back