Royal Purple Oil Experience - 2005 Mustang GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: chambers
Maybe those test results of Mobil 1 vs. Castrol Edge on the Edge website Edge vs. Mobil 1 aren't complete bull.

Isn't Edge 100% Synthetic Like Royal Purple, Redline and Amsoil?
Mobil 1 is a Fully Synthetic not 100% Synth, So it's a different class of oil. At least thats what I have been reading. Not an expert thats why I am here -- Learning

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Maybe those test results of Mobil 1 vs. Castrol Edge on the Edge website Edge vs. Mobil 1 aren't complete bull.

That was in regard to 5w30, this is 5w20.

Is there a difference? I thought the "5W" Winter "20" Summer so how much of a difference could there be between 20 weight and 30 weight oil on wear? I am learning here not an expert...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2k05gt

Mobil 1 is a Fully Synthetic not 100% Synth, So it's a different class of oil. At least thats what I have been reading. Not an expert thats why I am here -- Learning

Lord no, Edge might have a "dash" of PAO in it.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

They don't have a backwards firing order. The LSx engines fire the exact same cylinder sequence. The firing order is the original 351 firing order and was adopted to the 302 for the HO engines. It provides better load distribution along the crankshaft and makes more power than the "other" common firing order from that time frame, of which Ford and GM both shared, but Ford only used on the lopo versions of the 302. GM used it on everything.

Right. I think the other confusion factor comes in because IIRC Ford numbered their v8 cylinders differently than GM and Mopar. Ford used 1-2-3-4 down the passenger side bank, 5-6-7-8 down the driver's side bank. Mopar used 1-3-5-7 down the driver's side bank and 2-4-6-8 down the passenger side. If you convert numbering, the Ford 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 pattern is identical to Mopar 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2.

Yeah the difference is Ford numbered their V8 2-plane crank engine as if it was 2 4-cylinder single plain crank engine when it's really more like 4 V-twins stacked backed to back. The firing order is really the same just Ford numbered the cylinders "wrong" and everyone else numbered it correctly.

Ok I just looked at the Bottle and it says Full Synth.
Why would an "OIL Company" sell a 100% Sythetic product when there in the business to sell Oil, Silly Me.

Last edited:

Ok I just looked at the Bottle and it says Full Synth.
Why would an "OIL Company" sell a 100% Sythetic product when there in the business to sell Oil, Silly Me.

Castrol is the one that probably got Group III oils allowed to be called synthetic in the first place lol.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

They don't have a backwards firing order. The LSx engines fire the exact same cylinder sequence. The firing order is the original 351 firing order and was adopted to the 302 for the HO engines. It provides better load distribution along the crankshaft and makes more power than the "other" common firing order from that time frame, of which Ford and GM both shared, but Ford only used on the lopo versions of the 302. GM used it on everything.

Right. I think the other confusion factor comes in because IIRC Ford numbered their v8 cylinders differently than GM and Mopar. Ford used 1-2-3-4 down the passenger side bank, 5-6-7-8 down the driver's side bank. Mopar used 1-3-5-7 down the driver's side bank and 2-4-6-8 down the passenger side. If you convert numbering, the Ford 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 pattern is identical to Mopar 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2.

Yeah the difference is Ford numbered their V8 2-plane crank engine as if it was 2 4-cylinder single plain crank engine when it's really more like 4 V-twins stacked backed to back. The firing order is really the same just Ford numbered the cylinders "wrong" and everyone else numbered it correctly.

What makes Ford's way "wrong"? The flathead used this cylinder numbering sequence in 1932.

Flathead_Distrbtr-wiring-1932-41.jpg

I bet if the wear/mile was measured between these two motors, the 5w20 wear would be the same or worse than the 5w30 from just looking at these pics.

2k05gt, do you have any way of measureing the distance from the top-center of the lobes to the back? I'd be very interested to know the exact wear differences here!

Originally Posted By: glxpassat

I bet if the wear/mile was measured between these two motors, the 5w20 wear would be the same or worse than the 5w30 from just looking at these pics.

2k05gt, do you have any way of measureing the distance from the top-center of the lobes to the back? I'd be very interested to know the exact wear differences here!

Actually I do, Marc my friend has a Digital Micrometer, I will pick it up as well.

There's one problem. Measuring between cams isn't exact. Because they are mass-produced, every one is different. You should have seen some of the HUGE difference between OEM HO cams!!!

There's one problem. Measuring between cams isn't exact. Because they are mass-produced, every one is different. You should have seen some of the HUGE difference between OEM HO cams!!!

ahh, Makes sense. So the discoloration and wear marks will be the only indicator we have to work with.
Can I measure the 3 lobes from the last cylinder and average it? or a waste of time

Last edited:

ahh, Makes sense. So the discoloration and wear marks will be the only indicator we have to work with.
Can I measure the 3 lobes from the last cylinder and average it? or a waste of time

Sure, why not!

Both engines ran 5w20. One was Royal Purple, the other was M1.

The Royal Purple was changed at 3,000 mile intervals.
The Mobil 1 was changed at 4-5,000 mile intervals.

Both engines ran 5w20. One was Royal Purple, the other was M1.

The Royal Purple was changed at 3,000 mile intervals.

Correction
The Royal Purple was changed at 5-6,000 mile intervals.

You could measure the outer edge of each lobe and compare that with the center of the lobe to see how much dish was formed. That would make for a relative measurement.

Last edited:
You could measure the outer edge of each lobe and compare that with the center of the lobe to see how much dish was formed. That would make for a relative measurement.

Yes it would!

Good Call !! That Works,

Correction
The Royal Purple was changed at 5-6,000 mile intervals.

Sorry, I was going by the 3,000 miles you put in your original post. Was that just the number of miles on the car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back