The most oil with most moly in it? 0w20 and 0/5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: addyguy
Originally Posted By: 3Toyotas
Amsoil's ASL 5w30 has pretty close to the same moly as Redline, but the other weights i have no idea.

Not that it's important, but ASL 'only' as about 50-80ppm of moly in its formulation. It has way more boron that moly.

I think you were the one who told me RL and Amsoil were close in the moly content. No?

Thus the reasoning for my RL and ASL comment.

Does anybody listen? The Honda and Toyota oils available at your service centre in 0w-20 ARE synthetic and have tons of moly( ~1000ppm). They prob cost the least too at about $6/L. Unless you want to buy "built in USA" oils, the OEM service oil is the way to go. The manuf are most likely addressing cam and piston wear with EP at cold, non-heat activated temps here.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Does anybody listen? The Honda and Toyota oils available at your service centre in 0w-20 ARE synthetic and have tons of moly( ~1000ppm). They prob cost the least too at about $6/L. Unless you want to buy "built in USA" oils, the OEM service oil is the way to go. The manuf are most likely addressing cam and piston wear with EP at cold, non-heat activated temps here.

While the company (Idemitsu) is Japanese they have a manufacturing and packaging plant in Jacksonville Indiana. That is where the Honda and Toyota oils are made.
Yes they both contain a boat load of moly but what really impressed me is the incredibly high viscosity index (over 200)
these oils have. This is industry leading stuff which trumps every other oil made in the world and you can get it at your local Honda,Toyota or Lexus dealer throughout NA (may have to call first as not every dealer stock it yet and may have to order it in).

The Honda/Toyota oil may have more moly than most, but are they better overall? Does it make a difference? Is another method better?

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
This is industry leading stuff which trumps every other oil made in the world and you can get it at your local Honda,Toyota or Lexus dealer throughout NA (may have to call first as not every dealer stock it yet and may have to order it in).

What will be impressive is if these incredibly high VI oils don't shear.

Best oil made in the world?
33.gif

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
This is industry leading stuff which trumps every other oil made in the world and you can get it at your local Honda,Toyota or Lexus dealer throughout NA (may have to call first as not every dealer stock it yet and may have to order it in).

What will be impressive is if these incredibly high VI oils don't shear.

Best oil made in the world?
33.gif

For the record I didn't use the word BEST.

We're expecting a UOA on the Toyota 0W-20 in a month or so.

That does you no good though if you car can not use 0W20 or 5W20! Now if they made all of their oils like that including a 5W30 then I would have to give them a try!

IMO all cars would benefit from these light oils if you know for a fact the oil temps don't get above a certain level; say 80C (Dr. Haas Ferarri Enzo that's spec'd for 10W-60 seems to do just fine on 0W-20). Warranty requirements notwithstanding.

One advantage of these Idemitsu 0W-20 oils it that they have the lowest viscosity at start-up temp's of any SM oil currently available. That's a result of their very low 40C vis and very high VI. (39.3 cSt and 214 respectively in Toyota's case).
That gives a lot of blending opportunities if you're so inclined.
For example, 4 litres of the Toyota 0W-20 and 1 litre of M1's 0W-40 would produce a 0W-30 heavier than Castrol Edge's 5W-30 at 100C but lighter than most other 20wt's at start-up temp's.

There is no guarantee you'll get anticipated results when you home blend oils; then there is the additive compatibilty question. That's great Dr Hass Ferrari runs well on 0w-20 - but none of my cars do. I'm very tired of hearing the nonsense that 'if Dr Hass Ferrari can run on 0w-20, so should your car'. Is not Ferarri a maker of designer sunglasses, not automobili?

Thanks for the jab (and rightfully so) for my misspelling of Ferrari; what sacrilege on my part!

It certainly isn't nonsense to suggest most can benefit from running a high VI 20wt oil if you know you're oil temperature doesn't rise much above 80C and that's being conservative. At start-up even a 0W-20 is thicker than optimal in virtually all applications.

Are you suggesting the Rohmax viscosity blending calculator is flawed? Additive compatibilty of most SM oils is a non-issue.
Besides, the example I gave was largely was for academic interest to point out that there are no super high VI 30 wt oils out there that I'm aware of.

yah i read a pdf about how moly is used in 0w20 and 5w20 and stuff i think it was by ornl or honda/toyota/gm i forget. anyhow i wanted find out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back