Best Car and light truck batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
What car Batteries are the best for the money or at least really good i used to like the die hards but the last two i had were not good at all i heard i think auto zone had a good battery does anyone know
99 toyota corolla

Costco, Sam Clubs and Walmart all have good batteries made by Johnson Controls and the price is about $50-60 more or less . Auto Zone's batteries are made by Johnson Controls too but the price is a little more than the 3 above.

I installed a Duralast Gold in a family member's car and its still running great 6 years later.

I heard Walmart gives you no problems if you get a bum JC battery and have to return it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Costco, Sam Clubs and Walmart all have good batteries made by Johnson Controls and the price is about $50-60 more or less . Auto Zone's batteries are made by Johnson Controls too but the price is a little more than the 3 above.

I think Sams,Costco and Walmart all have good batteries and are the best bang for the buck.

Napa's batteries are little better according to the last Consumer Reports test I saw but also comes at a price premium. Alot like most products at Napa.

Originally Posted By: deven
I usually get Optima batteries.

And this would be the worst bang for the buck.
28.gif
crackmeup2.gif

I only expect to get 4 and 3/4 years out of any battery even if they say 6 year life. I replace them at 4 and 3/4 and never have a car get stranded due to the battery.

A good general rule is to always get the largest cold cranking amps you can get in the largest plain jane nothing fancy battery.
And expect the battery to fail any time after 4 and 3/4 years regardless if the rating is for 5 or 6 years.

JimPghPa

I bought a battery from Autozone (Valuecraft I think?) last year, it seems pretty good so far. Im not sure who makes it though

I have used various Diehard, Bosch, Interstate, and EverStart over the years, and never had a problem. Johnson Controls makes most of them, so the material quality is probably comparable for all. They make Toyota's OEM batteries as well.

Just pick one with a decent warranty at a competitive price.

Some of the low end Duralast batteries at Autozone are made in Mexico, and I would avoid those. I had one that after only 2 years was completely shot. That's probably the only disappointing battery I've ever had. For the price, I expected better.

In the last 10-15 years, I have used Diehards, NAPA, AAP Autocraft, and Wal-Mart batteries.
In the early, 90's bought a Die-Hard Gold (over 90 dollars @ the time) and it lasted all of a year and a half in a Chrysler I was driving at the time. Warranty sucked, prorate was $41 to end up with a Diehard Silver (I was getting ready to sell the car) I have never bought another one.
The NAPA (Legend) was a good battery. Just never bought another because NAPA's hours of operation locally never really corresponded at the times that my car batteries woofed.
I have purchased 3 Autocraft Silvers (exides/last one was Johnson) and installed them in a 94 Chrysler Lebaron, a 95 Ford Ranger and a 2000 Ford Taurus. Still have the 2000. Have never had a lick of trouble with any of them.
I have had Wal-mart batteries in four cars over the years: a 1993 Chrysler (Champion Battery) and had to have replaced once under warranty with a bad cell, a 1987 Chevrolet (Everstart) replaced twice in 1.5 years with bad cells under warranty, 1996 Geo replaced once under warranty with a bad cell. Wal-mart IMO may have their act together. Had to buy a Everstart (unplanned) for my 2003 Ranger last winter and have had no problems. Never had any problems getting adjustments on the above (they replaced them free) although it was kind of a hassle at the time.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
What car Batteries are the best for the money or at least really good i used to like the die hards but the last two i had were not good at all i heard i think auto zone had a good battery does anyone know
99 toyota corolla

Motorcraft always worked well in all my Ford cars...Motorcraft seems to work well in Fords and Delco seems to work well in G.M cars...Interstate holds up well for some people I know as well.

Di Hards on the other hand worked horribly for everyone I know.

Belong to Cosco now so might check them out when I need one next providing I am not stranded and at the mercy of AAA. My buddy just got a Interstate from AAA for his 98 Grand Marquis as he was stranded at the supermarket...He paid 140 bucks for it.

Years ago Sears Die Hard's were made by Johnson Controls - EXCELLENT batteries. Interstate and Autozone Duralast and Duralast Gold are made by Johnson Controls

so everyone agrees Johnson controls make good batteries? Years ago i always used Die Hards but the last 2 did not die hard! I wont use Die Hard anymore

I have used nothing but Interstate batteries for about 15 years - ever since I discovered that Sears Die Hards were no longer manufactured to their old quality and a mechanic I respect recommended Interstate. I change them one year before the warranty expiration and never have battery problems, just like Die Hards were in the 1970s and 1980s.

Ok so how many manufactureres are making batteries today and who makes what brand names? I'm sure there are some exceptions on certain models much like filters etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back