Show me proof that castrol is crap!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been a while since i put GC in my wifes altima and began using 5w20 syntec in my focus at the same time. I like to use the same oil in my vehicles. I heard so much about gc i had to try it so my next move was to use "regular syntec" in my focus. I hear so many people say that they don't trust or would never use syntec. I seem to believe that everyone is basing this off of the lawsuit and most seem to be mobil1 users. Mobil1 seem to be as much of a cult here as GC. I will do a UOA on both the syntec and GC when the time comes. My question is what is your proof that non GC syntec is crap? I don't want the whole PAO or group 4 crap because i understand that already. It seems like everybody just has jumped on the anti castrol bandwagon because of the lawsuit. I am not sticking up for castrol, i just want the proof that this oil is so bad. If i see this i'll get the non GC crap out of my focus.

speedtc: It's the lawsuit. It's also the fact that some believe it cost less to produce good Group III oils than PAO and the Group III synthetics should cost less. Don't worry about it. Castrol makes some great products including their Syntec made in the USA oils. I would not hesitate to put it in any of my cars if that were my choice in oils.

Castrol isn't crap, but the ford focus body style is. You should drive the altima and let your wife drive the focus.

I'm not sure most here think Castrol is crap. I think that the majority of people want to pay for "real" synthetic as opposed to a grpIII oil advertised as a full synthetic. That's it! I think the consensus here at BITOG is that Castrol makes decent stuff. I'm not sure I see the bashing you're talking about. I use Castrol products(GTX -on sale) and think they make fine oils as well, however, I only use Syntec 20W50 in my ATV.

I never read any "Syntec is crap" posts here at BITOG. Please post one or two when making accusations like that. I would like to read some proof that such posts exist. The only negative I read about Syntec is it's high price.

Castrol makes excellent oil. I drove an Altima. It has nice styling but its handling was poor. I am currently renting an Ford Focus and to my surprise it is an excellent car.

The raving about Castrol Syntec would reach legendary proportions if it were $3.50 a quart instead of priced the same as 'more expensively' produced PAO oils.

Of course, do we really KNOW that Castrol makes more profit on a quart of Syntec than Mobil makes on Mobil 1? Given that Mobil is actually an oil company and Castrol is a blender, I'm not sure.

Regarding Castrol, does anyone know if SM Syntec Blend 10w40 has some esters in it(like GTX Startup)?

See, this oil(now in the 190E)seems to crawl up the dipstick..as opposed to the previous DIY syn blend of Havoline Syn/Delo/Supreme. Also, after I poured this Castrol and then checked the dipstick..the oil went dark as in dark in an instant(weird). Btw, the old Benz had two ARx regimens and 3mos/2-3k ocis regularly.

Is the add pack/base oil of the new SM rated Castrol Syn Blend that potent? It's obviously cleaning the engine(and got mixed with the leftover oil)..but getting it "dirty" immediately after pouring the almost clear oil without starting the engine simply baffles me.
dunno.gif

I'm sure that Castrol Syntec an adequate oil for most applications, but the whole BP corporation seems unethical to me. Many companies are unethical, but to me BP seems more deceitful and less open than others:

BP tries to present an ecologically friendly image, but in reality is no more environmentally friendly than any other major oil company. At least the other major oil companies don't try to convince us that they really care about the environment.

BP and ARCO gas is substandard (at least in my car).

It was Castrol's lawsuit that changed things so that group III can be called synthetic. Other companies market group III as synthetic, but Castrol was the first to do so, the one that made it legally acceptable. I've got no problem with group III, as long is its labeled as such, and priced less than PAO or Ester.

I've considered using non GC Syntec, but Castrol doesn't even give out real product data sheets! They'll just give out the most basic product info that doesn't really say anything about the oil. One can't make informed decisions from their data sheets. We only have info on GC because of some dedicated forum members were able to ferret out product data sheets from other countries!

I know that Castrol can make fantastic oils, it just seems that they're more interested in using marketing to hype than in producing a first rate product and having good customer service. I know that one can't really trust any business, but the whole BP empire seems less ethical and less trustworthy than many of its competitors. I put Castrol/BP in the same category as FRAM. They make a product that will do a perfectly adequate job most of the time. The problem is that they produce it with cheaper components than their competitors, and then turn around and market it as a premium product at a premium price. That, to me at least, is unethical.

I don't know what BP is serving out west, but here on the east coast it's Amoco, and my R runs better on Ultimate 93 than anything else except Sunoco Ultra 94 (which is substantially more $).

I've always believed that Castrol made very good performing oils, but were not always the best value at their price points.

The base oils may not always be state of the art, but they seem to package strong additive packages and deliver generally good UOAs. And this is coming from a Mobil fan.

VOLVOHEAD: check the VOA section on this site CASTROL has one of the weakest additives packages of all the ILSAC-GF-4 engines oils.

Al, The local WalMart was clearing stock at $1.50 a bottle. I bought what they had left: a few cases of 10w-40 Syntec SM and a 1/2 a case of Syntec 5w-50 SM.

fruit.gif

quote:

CASTROL has one of the weakest additives packages of all the ILSAC-GF-4 engines oils

Sure it does. In all grades apparently, by your logic. Which VOA are you specifically referring to? That recent GTX API-SM sample? Try looking at some of the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back