ATF+ 4 in a transfer case

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure Dodge specs it for their trucks but what about a GMC? I have an 05 2500hd with a nv263. I drained the tranny and t/case fluid and am replacing the DEX III with DEX VI in the tranny, but have read here and other places about not using DEX VI in the t/case. WM has Valvoline "Full synthetic" ATF+4 for less than 5 bucks a QT. Would it be ok to use?
Thoughts....

Also most of the DEX VI products I see are labled as a semi syn at least. Is that standard for all? Like the WM ST stuff?

Not unless it is specced by GM, which I doubt. It probably takes gear oil or Dex III. But don't put the ATF +4 in, it will probably mess it up. I'm sure someone who knows more about what it takes will be in here soon.

EDIT: I remember hearing that Dex VI specs can only be met by at least a Semi-syn.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's a fair question. New Venture Gear supplied that transfer case. They were once part owned by Chrysler, and then for a while, fully owned by DCX.

ATF+4 makes a great lube for diff's and xfer cases that require ATF like merc or dex. Either use the ATF+4 or a full synth Dex/Merc ATF like Mobil1, Amsoil, Redline, RoyalPurple...

OK

I used an advanced coupon and got two QTs of the Mobil1 ATF and a qt of 75w-90 for the front diff. I have never used it before. Is it supposed to smell like it is already burnt? That is the worst smelling ATF I have ever smelled. the bottles were sealed and the fluid looked nice and red, it just STINKS

Originally Posted By: caravanmike
i thought gm speced autotrak in their transfercases? especially since dexron3 lost its license? mike

GM specs autotrac II fluid in their AUTOMATIC t/cases. Since mine is electric it used DEX III for the FF. I believe GM now reccommends the same fluid used for manual trans (since DEX III no longer exists).

Mother says that dex3 can be used in their transfer cases
but should be replaced at half the recommended mileage
compared to +3. (+4 wasent made yet but it should do even better.)So use +4 with confidence.
Source: Users manual from a -98 Durango.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back