Shop cost for installing an LSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a Tacoma that I would really like to put a limited-slip differential in the rear diff. I'm looking at the Detroit TrueTrac unit as it seems to have the qualities I'm looking for in an LSD and the cost is well, OK.

If I were to supply the rear gear oil and the LSD unit, what would you expect the cost for installation to be? Thanks.

Clark

Query all the candidates of the possible installation .
See how conversant they are with set ups - things to do and things to avoid.
Try and get a feel for how meticulous they are.
Then decide on price.
Tough to tell in these economic times, and it also depends on regional location, but $150-$300 is a range for good independent labor for this job.

Originally Posted By: ClarkB
Yes, 4WD.

Clark

Well if you haev a torson locker in the Tcase you do NOT want an LSD. You need an open diff to make that system work.

A friend and myself put a TRD/Eaton LSD in my Tundra. Do replace the bearings. Pulling a bearing off and pressing it back on might damage bearing, especially one that already has some wear. If the shims need to be changed for the correct tooth contact pattern with the new parts, expect added hours for the work and days for the shims. Randy's Ring & Pinion in Everett is a great place to buy parts including Toyota shims, and may have referrals to differential shops in your area. They may also have ideas if there is a better differential choice for your truck than the one you're thinking of.

So, make some phone calls.

My labor charge is usually around 225.00 for this job. The Taco i'm not sure about but thats what I charge for a light duty diesel

Clark,
I recently did this in my jeep and Dieseltechs price is right about what I paid. Depending on the mileage on the truck I would also think about changing out the bearings as well. You really don't want to have to pay for this again a few years down the road.

I always replace bearings and fill with amsoil sever gear. Thats all included in my labor price I posted.

It usually takes me 3 hours and my labor rate is only 50.00 and hour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back