Do Continental and Hankook have a connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed that the studable winter tires Continental sells look exactly like Hankook's tire. Also, some Continental motorcycle tires are made in Korea (and getting more quality problem returns than the German ones).

Does anyone know if Continental has bought Hankook or if they have some business connection?

Hankook is a Korean company, and they have some kind of a strategic alliance with Michelin, but I don't think there are any links to Conti. However, with all the different partnerships and shared ownerships in the rubber industry, I wouldn't be surprised.

Conti owns General Tire, that much I know.

The Continental Motorcycle tires and the Hankook automotive tires are both produced by Shin Hung Rubber Co. in Korea. They produce many brands including their "house brand" Shinko tires. Shin Hung uses Yokohoma as their design and engineering partner.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Hankook is a Korean company, and they have some kind of a strategic alliance with Michelin...

Pete, can you confirm this, or elaborate some more on it? I've noticed that the tire size markings on Hankook's tires look EXACTLY like they used to on Michelin tires. Also, the design of the "number of plies" bubble on the tire looks like it was cut and pasted from a Michelin CAD drawing.

In other words, I've noticed at least a cosmetic connection for a while between these two brands, but was never sure about it. I'd love to hear if you know more on the topic.

Originally Posted By: ZZman

Yes they do: http://www.hankooktireusa.com/Comp/Companypf.aspx?pageNum=5&subNum=3&ChildNum=1

Check History area for year 2003.

Yes, that is where I got this information from.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Hankook is a Korean company, and they have some kind of a strategic alliance with Michelin, but I don't think there are any links to Conti. However, with all the different partnerships and shared ownerships in the rubber industry, I wouldn't be surprised.

Conti owns General Tire, that much I know.

I wonder if that's why the BFGs on my Civic were made in Korea.

Yes, I was disappointed to see that my expensive TKC80 dual sport moto tires were made in Korea vs. Germany like they used to be. I was even more disappointed to see that the front tire is out of round. I just don't want to have to deal with taking off the wheel and sending the tire back to get a replacement. I just live with a bit of bounce. If you are going to charge around 120 $ per tire, they better be good. If I didn't like the tread design so much I would dump them right now just on principle. But the TKC80 is the best 'compromise' on/off road tire I have ever used.

Yokohama also makes tires for Conti in Japan for distribution to Honda on the CR-V as well.

Conti's ATE division is also making ABS modulators and controllers in the Philippines to be "closer" to Toyota, Nissan and Honda as an OEM supplier, leading to a OE contract for their US and European operations...

Last edited:
Shinko tires are getting good reports from motorcycle riders. JDD, try putting an ounce of Dynabeads in that out of round tire. Those work due to the centrifugal force in eccentric tires, so they will smooth out your TKC somewhat. (I've got a partly used pair of TKCs that came with my V-Strom...I may mount them up for tougher off road riding than my Tourances are happy on.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back