Peanut oil shelf life

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some 2-year-old peanut oil that has only been heated about 4 or 5 times. I last used it 11 months ago at Christmas time. It was a little over a year old then and it was fine.

I've read the shelf life is only a year or so. But has anyone had luck of keeping it around longer with limited use? (I keep it in the dark in my garage.)

(I'm thinking of frying a turkey for T-giving, but won't if my oil is too old. Right now is not the time to spend $30 for new oil.)

Thanks.

I suggest smelling it.

Oxidation is the thing that makes it smell off. I don't know how to describe the smell of old oil.

The fuller the sealed bottle was, the less likely that there was a lot of oxidation.

Heat it a little bit of it in a skillet and see what it smells like. Also, taste it. If you have any fresh do a smell comparison. Maybe you can get a small bottle at the grocery store just for comparison purposes.

IMHO, all PUFAs [polyunsaturated fatty acid] oils are unstable.

I'd toss it and use something else. Rancid oil will deplete your vitamin E. If it's not rancid yet, inside your body it will oxidize faster because your body temperature is about 98* F.

Want the most stable oil of all? Coconut oil and contrary to popular belief, it's the healthiest with it's high sat fat content.

I have heard (read on the internet) that after straining used peanut fryer oil through a cloth and then storing it in a freezer, the oil keeps almost indefinitely. This will be my first year deep frying a turkey for Thanksgiving, so I'll give it a shot.

We used to use a lot of peanut oil but after the knowledge of its instability and the addition of BHA/BHT in the process, we stopped and switch to corn oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back