Who has cheapest ATF+4 by the gallon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost no one sells it by the gallon. Even my Dealership while they priced it by the gallon only had quarts of it. Walmart has ATF+4 the cheapest by the quart. Find 5 places that sell it by the gallon and let us know because really I think you bumbed your head on this one from a retail stand point!

Originally Posted By: rastoma
Looking for ATF+4 by the gallon but AA, AZ and O'Reilley's don't have it by the gallon and can't get it.

A post on these forums just a couple of days ago says that Mercon V can be used and meets all the specs for ATF+4, it just can't be advertised because Chrysler wants the royalties that you pay when you get the genuine stuff.

Is ATF+4 the same as DexronIII/Mercon? You can buy a case of 12 quarts of DexronIII/Mercon at Sam's Club for $21.42 which at $1.785 per quart is a bargain. We have already put it into a Nissan Maxima and it works perfectly, like OEM.

Its a great price but you've got to find exactly what the manufacturer recommends. Some recommend a generic transmission fluid as a substitute to their "name brand" but the question is if dextronIII/mercon is compatible with your vehicle.

Its all about viscosity, shear and friction. Having done the research, many many home mechanics have found that just executing a drain and refill for what is available to drain easily without draining the torque converter is sufficient to get things right again and then they adopt a drain and refill every year along with their oil change with no negative results.

Those that chose to pressure flush the system (in particular) or even drain out everything were more likely to have dissatisfaction with the result after the fluid exchange.

Apparently older transmissions need the viscosity of new fluid, but also prefer the higher friction characteristic of some older fluid remaining in the system. Pull out all the old fluid and you may have a transmission with slippage.

What I read is that home mechanics are happiest with results to drain 4 quarts each year and stick with the remainder of somewhat used fluid for the friction improvement.

Of course if the old fluid is no longer even slightly pink, looks very gray due to microscopic metal in suspension, you may have no choice but to pull it all out. People who babied their transmissions get paid off in this maintenance instance.

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
Find 5 places that sell it by the gallon and let us know because really I think you bumbed your head on this one from a retail stand point!

What are you talking about? I never said I found places that sell it by the gallon, I'm LOOKING for it by the gallon.

There are millions of these transmissions out there I can't believe the fluid supply is so small.

The Walmarts I went to has ONE slot for ATF+4 and multiple slots for all others... plus they had 4 qts in stock. AA had 2, O'Reiley's had 9 of Valvoline ATF+4 but only 6 of store brand.

Based upon reading new posts above, it looks like Walmart is where to go. I have shopped three different Walmarts in my area and have always found what I needed although two of them were sold out.

The Walmart where I live sadly no longer stocks the Mopar ATF+4. I have never seen it sold in gallon sizer containers.

Quick drain and refill is about 4 quarts. The larger, longer, more expensive way generally has poorer results and costs more.

Its your call.

Originally Posted By: OilGuy2
Quick drain and refill is about 4 quarts. The larger, longer, more expensive way generally has poorer results and costs more.

Its your call.

How does a complete fluid change = poorer results?

There's 9 quarts in the system, as you said only about 4 drain out so you're not even replacing half the fluid.

I bought a used van and it appears to never have had a transmission service and it has 134k miles.

I just figured a full fluid change would be beneficial.

But the cost and lack of sufficient quantity, I guess I will install a drain plug and drain the fluid only a couple of more times over the next 10-15k miles.

Is ATF+4 the same as DexronIII/Mercon?

not even close

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy

not even close

Then why does the Amsoil website list both of them as being replacable with their product "ATF"?

=======================================================================

APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL AMSOIL Synthetic Universal ATF is recommended for transmissions, hydraulics, power steering and other applications requiring any of the following specifications:

• GM DEXRON® III-H
• Ford MERCON® & MERCON V
• Chrysler ATF+4®
• Toyota Type T-III and T-IV
• Honda Z-1 (Not CVT)
• Diamond SP II & III (Mitsubishi/Hyundai/Kia)
• Mazda ATF-III, ATF-MV
• Subaru ATF
• Nissan Matic D, J & K
• Idemitsu K-17
• BMW LA2634
• LT 71141
• Audi G-052-025-A2 & G-052-162-A1
• Volvo 97340
• MB 236.1, 236.2, 236.5, 236.6, 236.7, 236.9 & 236.10
• JWS 3309
• NAG 1
• ETL-7045E, ETL-8072B & N402
• Voith 55.6335.XX (G607, G1363)
• ZF TE-ML 03D, 04D, 09, 14A, 14B, 14C, 16L, 17C
• Allison C-4, TES 389

quote: (I just figured a full fluid change would be beneficial.)

With 134K, I think a partial fluid change (pan only) and filter would be a smarter thing to do.

Why? if the fluid is old and the frictions are use to this fluid, it would be better to introduce the new fluid in two or three 15K pan and filter changes.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

not even close

Then why does the Amsoil website list both of them as being replacable with their product "ATF"?

Because the additive makers (Lubrizon, Afton, ChevronOronite, etc.) provide ATF additive packages that allow the fluid to come very close to the specs for many different fluids. These near-universal fluids from many makers do a good job. Real Dexron-III or real Mercon or real MerconV installed in a Chrysler transmission that needs ATF+4 will not work right or won't work right for long.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Originally Posted By: hate2work

not even close

Because the additive makers (Lubrizon, Afton, ChevronOronite, etc.) provide ATF additive packages that allow the fluid to come very close to the specs for many different fluids. These near-universal fluids from many makers do a good job. Real Dexron-III or real Mercon or real MerconV installed in a Chrysler transmission that needs ATF+4 will not work right or won't work right for long.

OK, that makes sense, thanks.

Advance Auto sells house brand DexIII by the gallon and Walmart sells Castrol by the gallon. Best deal though is Auto Value..they sell Dex VI for $3.60 a quart.

Don't use DEXIII or Mercon in a transmission that demands ATF+4. If you do, you will destroy the tranny. Same goes for DEXIII with an additive that turns it into ATF+4...no it doesn't, it's still DEXIII.

Put anything other than pure ATF+4 into a Chrysler transmission and you can kiss the tranny good bye.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: caravanmike
atf+4 is hard to find by the gallon. but cheapest price in quarts is walmart at $3.77. mike

Right on. I doubt you'll beat ~$15/gal for a ATF +4 unless you can find Maxlife, Castrol or mail-order Amalie cheaper.

Joel

Originally Posted By: RageOfFury
Don't use DEXIII or Mercon in a transmission that demands ATF+4.

+1 to that. BTW, nice to see you here, RageOfFury. I'm "belvedere" on the KJ forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back