Cooking a Potato in Plastic Wrap??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought 2 potatoes and it says microwavable potato warp as each potato is wraped in plastic...Its says put holes in the potato and cook it in the wrap...The potatoes are pre washed...Everyone says take the wrap off before I put it in the microwave but why should I if its safe...Is it safe?????/..I got mine in Publix...Has anybody ever gottten those potatoes you cook in plastic?

I usally eat out every night but once in awhile I throw something together so really don't know much about this.

Hey, now this is a novel question and worth consideration.

The food industry is forever trying to find ways to make fresh food more convenient... they want your a$$ out of the restarant and in their stores. So if it says microwaveable wrap I would say go ahead and nuke it. its washed and the heat from the cooking will kill any criters that have hitched a ride... eat with confidence!

i would wash it, [censored] it a couple of times with a fork, wrap it a few times in paper towel, then nuke till cooked.

why is p r i c k censored?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crinkles
i would wash it, [censored] it a couple of times with a fork, wrap it a few times in paper towel, then nuke till cooked.

be careful w/ circumventing the censor, last time I did that I was threatened w/ a week long ban.

They might not use it this way in Australia, but here in the states it has two meanings. The first being the one you intended, the second a little less family friendly. Not terribly so, however.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
Originally Posted By: crinkles

be careful w/ circumventing the censor, last time I did that I was threatened w/ a week long ban.

the censor needs a context checker. i meant to stick a fork in it.

They cook up very well. I think this was probably the only way my mother did potatoes when I was growing up. wrapped up and put in for 10 minutes. Play with what power setting suits your potatoes best.

If you want to walk around with a respirator on your face everywhere you go like Michael Jackson, be my guest, but a little plastic wrap isn't going to hurt you.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
They cook up very well. I think this was probably the only way my mother did potatoes when I was growing up. wrapped up and put in for 10 minutes. Play with what power setting suits your potatoes best.

If you want to walk around with a respirator on your face everywhere you go like Michael Jackson, be my guest, but a little plastic wrap isn't going to hurt you.

The first potatoe I broke down and took the plastic off and wrapped it up in bounty towel like I usally do...The next one I going to leave in the microwavable wrap.

Who said it was harmful? I find cooking "in plastic" rather disgusting from a culinary aspect, but I don't see any health issues as long as it's microwave/heat safe, although the end product is a poor cousin to real, quality food.

I'll give you some credit-at least you're getting exercise jumping to conclusions.

I don't cook anything in plastic. That junk is meant for cold storage only, not cooking in. Only 3 materials that are to be cooked in:

1. Metal (stainless, cast iron, aluminum, etc)
2. Ceramic/stoneware/clay/etc
3. Glass

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Who said it was harmful? I find cooking "in plastic" rather disgusting from a culinary aspect, but I don't see any health issues as long as it's microwave/heat safe, although the end product is a poor cousin to real, quality food.

I'll give you some credit-at least you're getting exercise jumping to conclusions.

The reason I jumped to that conclusion is because it's the only reason for rejecting plastic wrap that is grounded in logic (flawed logic, but still logic).

How is cooking in plastic disgusting? Is it different from silicone bake ware in your opinion? Have you ever actually eaten a potato cooked in this manner? If given a potato cooked by your 'approved' method and one cooked by wrapping in plastic in the microwave, could you discern a difference in taste, texture, or otherwise? If not (as I cannot, having eaten plenty of potatoes baked by various methods in my time) then why is it disgusting? If you can discern a difference please describe it to me.

Quote:

How is cooking in plastic disgusting?

http://www.jhsph.edu/publichealthnews/articles/halden_plastics.html

Quote:

Question: How much of these chemicals get into our food and is it harmful?

Answer: That’s a difficult question and the best answer I can give is: it depends. Several European studies found that many plasticizers migrated from plastic containers and wraps into foods as they were heated in microwave ovens. Some of the chemicals were absorbed in high quantities (several hundreds of milligrams per kilogram food). The amount of chemical absorbed by the food depended on the temperature of the container and food, the duration of the heating, the type of plastic used and its initial plasticizer content, as well as the type of food being heated. As a general rule, the fattier the food, the more of the chemicals potentially can be absorbed and retained by it. More research should be done in this area

I will hedge my bets that corning glass is a better choice. This overrides any culinary concern imho

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

How is cooking in plastic disgusting?

http://www.jhsph.edu/publichealthnews/articles/halden_plastics.html

Quote:

Question: How much of these chemicals get into our food and is it harmful?

Answer: That’s a difficult question and the best answer I can give is: it depends. Several European studies found that many plasticizers migrated from plastic containers and wraps into foods as they were heated in microwave ovens. Some of the chemicals were absorbed in high quantities (several hundreds of milligrams per kilogram food). The amount of chemical absorbed by the food depended on the temperature of the container and food, the duration of the heating, the type of plastic used and its initial plasticizer content, as well as the type of food being heated. As a general rule, the fattier the food, the more of the chemicals potentially can be absorbed and retained by it. More research should be done in this area

I will hedge my bets that corning glass is a better choice. This overrides any culinary concern imho

Thanks for the link...I think plastic is off the table for me at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back