What trans oil should I use in my Mazdaspeed6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, I am currently trying to figure out what would be the best manual trans oil for my 06 Mazdaspeed6.

The manual states to use GL-4, since there is no LSD up front. Fluid change intervals are like 30k miles, but I do it once a year (15k-20k miles).

I'm currently using Red Line MT-90 75W90 GL-4 Gear Oil.
The Red Line stuff isn't too bad, but it seems to only work flawlessly when it's 60ºF outside. When it's hotter, it feels as if water is my trans fluid, kinda like there is no lubrication and it's hard to engage gears. When it's colder, it simply feels thick and hard to engage.

A friend recommended some kind of synthetic gear oil (Castrol I believe), available at Ford dealers, it just has to be ordered. Anyone know of some thing like this?

I'm just curious as to see what else is available out there, and if there is something that will better suit my needs.

If this helps, I live in an Illinois climate, I drive about 50/50 city/highway, not to aggressively, I rev-match every shift, and I track my car on average 2 times a year (road course).

Thanks!
-Matt

i believe the oil you are referring to is Motorcraft Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid, made by Fuchs of Germany(which is NOT pronounced the way it is spelled). developed because of shifting problems with the Getrag transmission in the Focus. on miata.net it is currently the most recommended product (since Molakule closed SF).

mostly only available at Ford dealers, ask for
Line code MTO
Part # XTM5QS
List price $ 18.92

you can see this thread on the miata forum

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=270393

the other stuff that has been reported to be really good is Honda MTF-2

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
do you know what the weight/specs are on that oil?

Is a GL4 75w90

Originally Posted By: cheetahdriver
i believe the oil you are referring to is Motorcraft Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid, made by Fuchs of Germany(which is NOT pronounced the way it is spelled). developed because of shifting problems with the Getrag transmission in the Focus. on miata.net it is currently the most recommended product (since Molakule closed SF).

mostly only available at Ford dealers, ask for
Line code MTO
Part # XTM5QS
List price $ 18.92

you can see this thread on the miata forum

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=270393

the other stuff that has been reported to be really good is Honda MTF-2

Thank you! That is the stuff I was looking for. I called up my friend and he gave me the same part #.

I guess it a trip to the Ford dealer for me. Hopefully they'll have a new GT500 for me to ogle.

MATT_DAMOND,

You might want to check out what gear lube is popular for your transaxle on the Mazda 6 forum. http://forum.mazda6club.com/

FWIW: I run Redline (2 qts MT90 and 1 qt MTL) in my Fusion's Mazda G5M transaxle and shifts beautifully in all temps.

I have a Mazda 6s and have tried Redline Mt-90 and Amsoil's Gl-4. I recently went to Neo Synthetic (also very big with the RX crowd) and shifting is really good so far.

I am in Wisconsin, so my weather is very similar to yours!!

I am also a member to the 6 forum listed above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back