Valvoline Maxlife

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to get opinions on Valvoline Maxlife 5W-30 and the use of Purolator Pureone oil filters. I'm using these on both a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 and a 1996 Toyota Corolla. Any thoughts on the use of other HM oils? Both cars have over 100,000 miles.

I've got a 92 Honda Accord with 210000 miles on it. I bought it the lask week of September. I changed the oil and used Quaker State winter blend 5w30. I don't know what was wrong, but I bet I was going through 1 quart of oil a week! The car was seemingly leaking and burning oil. I ran that oil for approx. 6500 kilometers. I changed it out and poured in Maxlife 5w30 SM rated, and installed a Carquest premium filter. In the 700+ miles since I changed to the Maxlife, the car has not used any oil! On my previous OCI with the QS winter blend, I bet I would have gone through 2 quarts by now. I don't know what I did, did the oil really fix things up that fast? Regardless, Maxlife is my new favorite oil.

Very excellent oil/filter combo in my opinion. Val maxlife conventional is 12-18% PAO Syn, though not marketed as a synblend. It was one of the first on the block in the high milage scene.

5k mile OCI should be no problem with that combo in both vehicles.

I started using it back in '01 in a '96 4.6 Crown Vic with good results. The Vic would consume more oil when I would use WM Super Tech and MoCraft instead of the Maxlife actually.

I then switched to MaxLife Synthetic, and consumption went down further. I use it it in my '95 K1500 350TBI with 168k miles.

Switching to the MaxLife Syn version in both of the mentioned vehicles at well over 100k miles did not produce any leaks, and actually reduced consumption.

Change your PCV valve in both vehicles.

Where was your oil leak ?
dunno.gif

Doesn't the SL GF3 Maxlife have a better add pack (more Cal, Phos, Zinc) than the SM GF4 Maxlife ?

Hey guys, i haven't seen any info yet on ATV oil recommendations. I have new Polaris 400 and 700 and would like to know of a couple brand choices of oil and filters that will allow me to only change oil/filter once a year or about 1500 miles if possible. What do you recommend?

Thanks

Well, I think I have a leaky front crank seal. It looked pretty wet last time I was down there. I've probably got leaky cam seals and coutershaft seals, but I can't be certain.

The SM Maxlife has the lower zddp levels, but also has about 300 ppm moly that was not indicated in the SL formulation. So on balance, the SM probably is as good as the SL. Either way, you can pump it up with a zddp adder, maybe VSOT.

I'm going to try Max Life in my mother's car shortly to see if the oil consumption goes down. Caddy Northstar, which are known for burning oil. Been using M1 the last few years. Mom's car has slightly under 50k so it's not high miles, but I'm going to give Max Life a shot.

I have 6 bottles of the CD2 Oil Boost and plan on using half a bottle at a time like that. Hope you got yours at Big Lots where it is going for $1.99 a bottle. ZDDP is about 4500 ppm. Should not thicken the oil. Should make the SM at least an SL additivewise.

On your Accord. Look at the bottom of where your distributor connects to the valve cover. I found fresh oil leaking there. The dist. on Accords suck so just put a new one on. Also, check the oil pressure switch (a few inches above the oil filter) they leak alot on Accords and also check that "flange" thing that the oil filter is attached to. These things leak all the time and mine just was. Just some hints from a fellow 92 Accord owner. If you need a tip on a new distributor, let me know. Autozone and them sells them for around 275. You can get one for around 120.00.

Supposedly 4500 ppm zddp is bad for converters, but half a bottle in a 5 quart system will dilute it considerably since about 10 percent would be the additive, you would boost an SM oil from about 700 ppm to about 1080, the level of a good SL oil.

quote:

The SM Maxlife has the lower zddp levels, but also has about 300 ppm moly that was not indicated in the SL formulation. So on balance, the SM probably is as good as the SL. Either way, you can pump it up with a zddp adder, maybe VSOT.

Would a half bottle of CD2 street legal oil boost be any good for boosting the ZDDP in SM rated Maxlife?

I can't give you a definite answer, but I doubt it would screw up the add pack to add half a bottle. You could instead put half a bottle of the Valvoline Synpower Oil Treatment if you don't mine bumping the viscosity about 1 cSt. It would still be a 30 weight. Surely Valvoline's additive would not screw up Valvoline's oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back