E85 Compatible Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, I am new and trying to learn as much as I can here.

I am running E85, and have recently heard that there are oils specifically compatible with E85? I'd like to know which oils these are or where I can find such a listing? I am running a high boost supra, so I'd like to find something in the 5-40 type range. I am currently running Rotella on very frequent change intervals and want to make sure I am doing the right thing.

Thanks for help and suggestions.

Originally Posted By: Diggler
Hey everyone, I am new and trying to learn as much as I can here.

I am running E85, and have recently heard that there are oils specifically compatible with E85? I'd like to know which oils these are or where I can find such a listing? I am running a high boost supra, so I'd like to find something in the 5-40 type range. I am currently running Rotella on very frequent change intervals and want to make sure I am doing the right thing.

Thanks for help and suggestions.

That's a good question as I have wondered myself...hopefully some of the guru's will chime in...but I would suspect that UOA's will be better at answering this question.

A UOA would let ya know a little about what's going on. I'm sure RTS 5W-40 is great. It just depends on how well it holds up to cooling the turbo. That oil gets HOT. You want something that can stay in grade... or prepare to spin some bearings.

I'd be looking into Redline oils, myself.

BTW, I love RTS 5W-40, use it myself... and as long as I knew it did fine in a turbocharged vehicle, that's what I'd pick. I blew up a highly modified twin turbo Dodge Stealth 3 times before. It was 6-7, maybe 8 years ago. I knew nothing about oil, and was pouring Castrol GTX in there. It's a great oil, but you don't want a conventional in an oil cooled turbo application. That's what makes me wonder about RTS 5W-40... it's Group III. Lots say it's not a 'true' synthetic. Well is it 'synthetic' enough to act like one? I don't know.

I actually run the Rotella T non synth 15-40 currently. Like I said I change my oil very frequently due to water/meth injection or running race fuel. My oil probably rarely sees 500 miles before it gets dropped and replaced...I have no concrete reason in doing this other than being catious. This is the first season I have run Rotella T or E85, and decided to do so based on cost and that the motor is going to be torn down this winter anyways. I was just unaware of oil and E85 issues, so I'd like to get a handle on that asap. Appreciate any help!

Well... I'm still unaware of the oil and E85 issues. I know these modified cars can run rich trying to tune it in on the AFC + bigger injectors.

But, there's lots of vehicles out there that run E85 no matter what oil they are using.

What am I missing?

BTW, Rotella 15W-40 is a fine 15W-40 oil... but I wouldn't run any conventional in a turbocharged vehicle, especially an oil cooled turbo. Never.

I read on the GF-5 site that all GF-5 oils will have a test for this issue, or be aware of it at least addressing the issue of rust etc. You night google GF-5 oil site to see the spec etc

My grandmothers Town and Country van manual states that if running E-85, change the oil every 3,000 miles. It makes no mention of a specialized oil for E-85 use.

Isn't E-85 a low octane ethanol fuel ? If so wouldn't you have massive pinging in Supra ? I believe the Supra required premium fuel to avoid preignition. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. We don't have E-85 in NH, and I've never run it. I may be way off base.

Forget my last post, I did some research, and found that E85 actually has a higher octane rating than 93. Usually 94-96 per wikipedia.

Sorry for my ignorance.
Justin

Last edited:
Hey Justin- you're right the E85 is higher than 93 octane, it is typically rated around 106oct but in car it behaves much more like C16 for actual racing uses. It is a great alternative for a quasi race fuel at 2/gallon vs. 12/gallon for actual c16.

artificalist- I dont know that it is a "specialized oil" per say, but I am just looking for oils that are known E85 compatible. Your Grandmothers Minivan should recommend the same per this website:
http://www.e85fuel.com/e85101/faqs/motoroil.php

rclint- thanks for the info, I'll google that now and see what turns up

Chrysler no longer recommends a special oil for E85 use (at least in the minivans). They used to require it, according to our '03 Grand Caravan's owner's manual. But our '07 Town & Country's owner's manual simply lists the 3,000 mile OCI requirement when using E85 regardless of service type (normally, light duty OCI is 6,000 miles). No E85-specific oil is required anymore. I think this changed in 2006 for the Chrysler minis, FWIW.

There were next to no oils certified specifically for E85 use, and I guess the data showed that they weren't really required. The Rotella would be an excellent oil for that I'd think.

The owners manual for my FlexFuel 2009 Malibu makes no reference whatsoever to any special oil requirements or OCI's.
Just says use 5w30 that meets GM6094 (all SM oils), and change according to the OLM.

I keep hearing about the Brad Penn oils....anyone have information on it?

Originally Posted By: Diggler
I keep hearing about the Brad Penn oils....anyone have information on it?

thats kinda offtopic but..

From what I recall.. its just normal oil

Last edited:
Rand - Not really off topic, alot of guys running E85 and racing have started or gone back to using Brad Penn Oil. I know nothing about it, so I was hoping there would be some feedback o this forum.

I'm a consistant E85 user in my company issued Grand Caravan. 6k OCI as mandated by the fleet/leasing company, on Kendall 5-30 syn blend from Firestone. No issues @ 58,000 miles. It may be loaded with other stuff at 6k, but not fuel soot. The oil drains out looking the same as it went in, not black at all. The engine runs much better on E85. On the rare occasion I can't find E85 (3, maybe 4 times since I've received it), and I fill with regular unleaded, that thing is an obvious, slow, gutless dog when trying to get on the highway or pass someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back