Wireless disappeared?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This morning my wireless network was gone. I tried resetting the box the cable goes into, and I tried resetting the Linksys WRT54GS router. Both light up and indicate that everything is fine, but the network just doesn't show up on the computer. It isn't the computer because it is picking up other networks fine and none of the other laptops are picking up the network either. What do I try next?

This will be the second one of these routers I have had go out on me if it has some sort of internal problem.

Originally Posted By: EricF
you did reset the router itself?
Did you remember to pay your bill?

Yes and yes. CATV is working fine.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
http://192.168.1.1

see if that comes up

also go start->run->cmd then ipconfig -all and see what comes back

You are going to have to go slow with me on this. I clicked on the link and got nothing.

I ran ipconfig, but I am on the neighbor's internet now, so I don't know what it means or if it even applies to my network.

I'm going to try to find a spare ethernet cord around the house and plug my computer into the router.

Edit - I just plugged the computer directly into the router and the internet is working fine. The signal just doesn't show up for wireless.

This is what I got this time, cable plugged directly into the router, no wireless...
untitled2.jpg

Last edited:
192.168.1.1 is the default setup page for your linksys model router. If your internet were out it would test the connection between computer and router. If you're borrowing a neighbor's internet... their router could and probably does have a different setup page.

The ipconfig command is useful to see if you're getting a DHCP IP address from your router. Since you're online with a neighbor's internet... that's not too useful.

edit: try http://192.168.1.1 again now that you're plugged into your own router, and try seeing what's going on with the wireless etc.

Just out of curiosity, are you running 3rd party firmware on it? Some overdrive the wireless signal strength, shortening transmitter life. I've seen this happen with this particular model. If not overdriven, the later versions of this router run forever.

No matter what, even without an SSID, you should at least see it on a site survey. If you can see it, even if you can't get in, then it's likely just a configuration issue.

If you can hardwire into the router, you can also check and see if any of the wireless security settings have changed. If you resetted the router, make sure your device's wireless security settings are also cleared, or you won't get in.

If just the transmitter is shot, you can still toss a WAP on it. Discrete bits tend to hold up a little better anyway.

No, the router and setup is all out of the box. Nothing special. It doesn't show up period. You can stand right next to it and it doesn't show up on the list of available networks.

My roommate can't remember the username or password either, so in the meantime there is a long [censored] cord running across the house.

There should be a reset button on the back. Are you the administrator or is the roommate? Get a pdf of insturctions before you start, it will have the default password.

Disconnect the router from the internet. Wire connect one good system into the router, using the RJ45 jack. Disconnect the router from the rest of your network. Hard reset the device. I believe the paperclip button hole is on the back. It will go into the default factory config. Then power off and re-energize the device after 30 seconds.

On a web browser from the connected machine, enter the address 192.168.1.1. You should reach the router's login screen.

As stated above, the factory PW is admin.

Once in, you can see better what is going on.

As I said above, if you still can't see it on a wireless site survey, regardless of configuration settings, then the transmitter may have a problem.

While everyone uses wireless routers in SOHO environments, they are never as robust as a discrete enterprise-grade WAP. Though this one is one of the better ones, historically.

One other thing. Provided you get things straightened out, make sure you are running the latest Linksys firmware. Some of the earlier versions (depending on HW revision) were slightly buggy. Since you are resetting it, I'd flash it to latest firmware as soon as you can get into it, if it is not already current. Takes all of two minutes.

i believe you have it backwards the default is

username: admin
password: (blank)

use the small flush button on the back to reset it. its small you can hold it in with a ballpoint pen or something similar.

Originally Posted By: Rand
i believe you have it backwards the default is

username: admin
password: (blank)

Ummm... no. User name is blank and the password is 'admin'.

QP is correct. Make sure you go into the wireless admin section and make sure it is turned on. I have a wireless router and I keep the wireless part turned off.

well it was username:admin no password on my wrt54g :)

I found a link that explains it.
http://compnetworking.about.com/od/routers/qt/linksys_passwds.htm

apparantly only my model is like that... doh

Default user names:

* Linksys BEFW11S4, WRT54G: admin
* Linksys EtherFast Cable/DSL Ethernet routers: Administrator
* Linksys Comcast routers: comcast
* All other Linksys routers: [none]

Default passwords:

* Linksys BEFW11S4: [none]
* Linksys Comcast routers: 1234
* All other Linksys routers: admin