Valero Top-Tier Gasoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Helllo everyone.

I am just wandering if Valero is a Top-Tier fuel? If not, then is it at least better than Racetrac or some other cheap [censored] gasoline? Let me know what you think! Thanks.

No. Not on the list. But here are your choices.

http://www.toptiergas.com/

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:

QuikTrip
Chevron
Texaco
MFA Oil Co.
Conoco
Phillips 66
Entec Stations
Shell
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Kwik Trip / Kwik Star
Aloha Petroleum
Tri-Par Oil Co.
Turkey Hill Minit Markets
Mileage Stations
Road Ranger
Chevron Canada
Shell Canada
Petro-Canada
Sunoco Canada

All I have around here that is Top Tier is Shell & Sunaco. Both of which are usually 30+ cents more expensive than the local Valero(which is good gas) and Exxon/Mobil.

I have tried to use Top Tier gasolines in my Frontier when possible. But my wife has a seven year old Saturn L-300 in which she has used almost exclusively the gas sold by BJs Discount Club. Never a problem in almost 70,000 miles and it runs like new with highway mileage at about 30 mpg. I just replaced the Bosch plugs and they were very clean; they were the original set.

Soit would seem that at least some discount gas does a good job. Since BJs gas runs from 5-10 cents less per gallon and assuming an average city/highay mileage of 25 for the sake of argument, that is a savings of about $140-280 so far in the life of the car (assumes using 2800 gallons to get to 70000 miles). Now that is nice but in 7 years, that is just $20-40/year or about one free tank/year. Turkey Hill Minit Markets are our local Top Tier supplier (see list above in another part of this post) and to use them would simply eliminate the free yearly tank" each year. For me, it is cheap insurance.

Last edited:
Hi,New here.Just got in town. I'm not sure but I thought I read/ heard something about Valero being Chavez gas. Correct me if I'm wrong. I tend to shop for price on gas. Im not gonna give the bastages any more than they can get outta me! As long as they have a chain of stations and it dont knock I'll use it.Except for the Chavez gas. Not sure where that B.J.'s gas comes from. My wife buys it on occasion for her Mountaineer. Lower grade gasolines are bought and sold like a commodity. Just tuned up my '00 Frontier, 3.3 V6 after 100k miles on it. The plugs,( original NGK platinums), looked pretty good, all consistent, tan/ gray,no tracking, evenly worn and still in spec on gap. Oh yeah, tell me about this " top tier" gasoline terminology.Not familiar with it.

Last edited:
You're thinking of Citgo. Valero is refined in the US.

Gas comes from regional distribution hubs. The various brands come out of the same pipeline/tanks and are blended on site to the brands' specs.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
You're thinking of Citgo. Valero is refined in the US.

And is a wholly owned US company.

Your post raises a similar question to what I have. If the "top tier" standard is so desirable, why is there not better access to "top tier" fuels throughout the country. For example, I live in Ohio and drive 125 miles a day to work. Here are my options for fuel as I drive to work: Speedway, Kroger, a small Shell station that only sells regular and diesel, Marathon, another Marathon, an IGA grocery w/fuel pumps, a Valero, a Certified oil station, and another Marathon.
My concern with the Shell station is with the volume of sales only selling the two grades. The only "top tier" option in the area is Shell (although Turkey Hill is starting to move into the market.) The next nearest Shell is 12.5 miles each way in an opposite direction @ 2 tanks/week = additional 50 miles/week (not driving an extra 50 miles/wk for gas.) Therefore, I burn a lot of Speedway/Marathon (same thing) and dump a bottle of Techron down the tank at every oil change. I have owned the car since new and it now has 187K on it and runs fine. The "top tier" concept is fine but if certified fuels are not going to be made readily available in all areas of the country, why have it?

Last edited:
I use it exclusively and have for two years. No problems to date, none. It is not on the list as top tier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back