Tractor trans/hydraulic oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an old tractor, I know, an old tractor for an old farmer, ha ha.
I'm wondering what the best choice is for the trans/hydro sytem. It's a 1962 MF 35. Very much like the old Ford Ns.
I changed it a few years ago because it was milky from water, and installed universal oil, called TDH oil, (trans/hydraulic/differential.
It was really thin and worked great in winter for moving snow.
The hydro pump was able to pump it real easy in the cold.
But it wasn't the best choice in summer heat, the pump had trouble lifting a load because of the pump and cylinder being older and worn. Not worn out, just somewhat worn.
So I drained it, flushed the bottom of the housing with diesel to clean it, rinsed with oil to get the diesel out, and then installed 80w90 GL1. It's made by Shell, called Dentax. Specially made to be compatible with yellow metal.
It's great for the summer, but a bit thick for winter.
Someone said the best choice now is 15w40 engine oil, but not diesel engine oil, one made for gas engines because it has less detergents. I've never heard of a 15w40 that wasn't for diesels.
At this point I'm thinking I'm not going to keep messing around with oil grades, I'll just attach a couple of magnetic heaters to the bottom of the case near the pump and heat it up.
What do you think?

I'm not familiar with old Masseys- most of my Old Tractor experience involves green equipment. I've no idea what MF recommends for the application, but I think it's pretty safe to assume that you tractor has dry brakes and a dry clutch. Assuming that's the case, then you can get away with running pretty much any oil- seeings how you don't need friction modifiers for a wet clutch or wet brakes.

I tend to agree with the recommendation to run 15w40 oil in your machine. It's a pretty safe bet that this is NOT what the manufacturer originally called for, but I think it would work pretty well. Lots of machines use ordinary motor oil in the hydraulic system these days, including 15w40 depending on the application and temperature range... I see no reason why it wouldn't work in your tractor. John Deere skidsteers come from the factory with 15W40 in the hydraulic system... should work just as well in a MF.

I've never heard of using 80w90 as a hydraulic oil. No reason it wouldn't work, I guess... but it is pretty thick.

Years ago, 15w40 diesel oil was significantly different from oil used in gas engines, but that's changed for the most part. Most 15w40 oils these days are 'mixed fleet' oils, rated for (and suited for) both gas and diesel engines. Matter of fact, that's what I usually run in my own cars. If you go with something like Rotella or Delvac, both of which are relatively cheap, I don't see why it would cause you any problem.

Old Farmer, I have no answers for you, but I am curious about your experiences. If you google Ford 8N Transmission fluid, MF 35 Transmission Fluid, and Ford M2C134D, you find out that there are MANY people in your same predicament.

The original recommendations were for GL1 80W below 32F, and GL1 90W above 32F. The current Ford/New Holland Recommendation is the universal type M2C134D "hytran type" fluid. You tried the Dentax 80w90 GL1 and a "hytran type" product and neither worked.

I have also seen some recommendations (form Australia/U.K.) for the 15W40 engine oil.

I hope someone pipes in with answers.

Hi, doitmyself, I can't say they didn't work. Just not the way I wanted. The TDH worked great in the winter, and the 80w90 worked great in the summer.
One guy from U.K. on another board recommends 15w30 engine oil, but I've never seen that. It's likely available only in Europe.

Originally Posted By: old farmer
Hi, doitmyself, I can't say they didn't work. Just not the way I wanted. The TDH worked great in the winter, and the 80w90 worked great in the summer.
One guy from U.K. on another board recommends 15w30 engine oil, but I've never seen that. It's likely available only in Europe.

Yes, I understand they worked, but you are looking for a single fluid to use both winter and summer. Cronk has a concurrent thread going on here right now with the same request for his 1940 ford N.

Maybe you need to participate/ask on the Ford N/Massey forums to see if they came up with a solution? I assume you have read this link and it's follow up discussion:
http://www.ytmag.com//nboard/messages/10625.html
He recommends the Ford M2C134D and "almost" implies that the actual Ford/New Holland product is thicker than a generic "hytran" type fluid.

So many opinions on this topic.....M2C134D fluid only.....NOTHING except actual G1, 15W40....it intrigues and challenges me.....I used to have a Massey 35 at my work...I recall using straight 90W from the dealer....he said (his opinion) high additive fluids could dissolve the the painted inside of the tranny case!

We need some real experts like Molakule to chime in. Lots of discussions here: http://search.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/fastsrch.pl

Type in transmission to search. Let's see what the consensus is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back