Ford Racing CM-6731-FL820

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are these filters (Ford Racing CM-6731-FL820) over-sized vs the MC fl-820S or are they exactly the same size? Also are they any good?

They're the same size. I heard they're the same filter internally, just a higher burst rating on the can, although I haven't cut one open.

I asked the same question a couple of years ago and the answer, from some members more knowledgeable than I, was that it's a good filter, but not worth the extra cost compared to the standard MC FL820S, especially for a street vehicle...unless you have crazy high oil pressure.

I think it might have a different filter media in it also. Seems I read that somewhere, but not sure since I've never cut one open. RF is correct about the burst rate, the metal in the can is a lot thicker than a regular filter.

Does the MC fl820S or the Ford Racing filter have a base end or dome end bypass? TIA

Data is in.
frpp.jpg

This site is squishing the picture. Right click -> view image for better view.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
That's some awesome flow. Good efficiency, too. Too bad they cost 4x as much as a regular 820S.

Yes, impressive performance specs for sure. Great filtering efficiency and great flow.

I wish a data sheet like this was available for all filters ... it would be easy to see the good vs bad filters in glance.

When I called them, the guy had no idea what I wanted. Said they typically do not have that kind of info on hand. He gave me his email and told me to email him what I wanted. That was Monday. Im guessing it got passed around. Its obviously a scan and the paper has my email written on it.

Better than the FL820s in both flow in filtering. IIRC, the FL820S is around 80% at 20u efficiency. Worse than the Pureone, and I know that. I would guess better flow, however.

Originally Posted By: renos09ram
How does it compare to the 820S and the pure one in flow and filtering?

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
Better than the FL820s in both flow in filtering. IIRC, the FL820S is around 80% at 20u efficiency. Worse than the Pureone, and I know that. I would guess better flow, however.

I'm assuming the flow vs PSID graph for the FL820 is with hot oil ... typically what you'd see on the road (~ 200 deg F, 5w-30).

Here's flow vs. PSID data from Purolator on the PL14006 PureONE, which is a little smaller in size than the FL820.

Note that at 12 GPM, the PSID is slightly over 5 psi for the PureONE ... it to flows very well IMO.

I'm guessing the FL820 is a PureONE variant ... the F probably means "Ford" and the L is an artifact of the Purolator nomenclature - the PureONEs use a "PL" prefix in the filter numbers (that's my theory anyway
wink.gif
)

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1630494&page=1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back