2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.0L Mobil 1 TDT 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Posting this for slammds15:

dutyuoa01.jpg

Comments:

Truck is driven HARD. Carries weight regularly.

Looks like a great 10K run. What kind of filtering is it running. Motorcraft?

Vis held very well also, great TBN retention

Last edited:
10k km, or 10k miles?

This oil is supposed to be very stable and shear resistant, but it's comfortably a 30-weight. Not a good showing on this one aspect.

Sodium is high, possibly from a previous oil?

10,000kms and International oil filter. I'm not sure but if I recall correctly someone stated that Donaldson manufactures them?

Originally Posted By: addyguy
10k km, or 10k miles?

This oil is supposed to be very stable and shear resistant, but it's comfortably a 30-weight. Not a good showing on this one aspect.

10,000Km.

This engine EATS oils. This is easily verified by other UOA's for it on this site.

Contamination is low, TBN is still solid.

Sodium is from the previous OCI where the EGR cooler was replaced because it was leaking.

There was no make-up oil added. Filters are International.

Perfect. keep this interval and Clean the EGR valve every 15,000 miles. Replace the orings and gasket each time

I had been doing that up until 2000kms ago. ended up having to buy a new one due to its failure.

Did it fail or just get carboned up? You can pull it out and shake it. If the clunk inside is there the valve is still good. Most egr code arn't from a Failed EGR valve

Originally Posted By: DieselTech
Did it fail or just get carboned up? You can pull it out and shake it. If the clunk inside is there the valve is still good. Most egr code arn't from a Failed EGR valve

It failed. It stopped closing.

Although it did leave a dirty cloud of smoke behind when it failed to close lol That was kinda cool.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
10k km, or 10k miles?

Just a note here:

1. This oil in this truck at 10,000Km (6,200 miles) was sheared down to 11.81 cst.

2. This oil in MY truck at 12,000Km (7500 miles) was 15.40 cst.

3. Motorcraft 15w40 CJ-4 in another UOA thread for this same 6.0L PSD engine was 11.87 cst after 5,000 miles.

So while this oil is regarded as being very sheer stable, it seems this engine will beat it up. The indication of it performing the same process (but with higher UOA numbers...) on the 15w40 seems to back that up.

I will be posting Castrol Hypuron 15W40 @ 8000 km on Monday or Tuesday (need the software at work to change the PDF to jpeg). Viscosity was 13.4.

Regarding viscosity, it's true that 6.0L PSDs shear oil, but only down to a certain point.

I posted up a UOA for my neighbors PSD about a year back. He ran Rotella 10w-30 for winter, for easier starting and less HEUI "romp".

The viscosity came back fine and stayed nicely in grade.

It's my perspective that HEUI simply prefers a lighter grade oil. You either fill it with a 30 grade and it stays there, or you fill it with a 40 grade and it will shear it down to a 30 grade for you!

Note, even though the oil sheared, the wear was very good and found to be perfectly acceptable. Lighter grades do not mean intrinsically inferior protection, as many fear.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back