UOA Amsoil 5w-40 European

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blackstone Labs

For an oil run nearly 16,000 miles wear looks great! Universal averages for the 3.2L are based on
an oil run of just 8,000 miles. We found a trace of fuel in the sample, which caused the low viscosity but
other than that everything looks good. Neither the fuel nor the low vis is a problem. The TBN read 1.8 so
you had some, but not much, active additive remaining. We consider 1.0 too low for extended use. Feel
free to run the next oil 17,000 miles. Check back for another look when you have the oil changed. You
may be able to go longer yet.

Miles on unit-105,700
Miles on oil -15,700
01 Mercedes SLK 320
Make-up oil -1 qt
Capacity - 8.5 qt
Amsoil 5w-40 European Formula
Sample Date 6-02-08

ALUMINUM-7
CHROMIUM-0
IRON-27
COPPER-4
LEAD-2
TIN-0
MANGANESE-1
MOLYBDENUM-7
NICKEL-1
SILVER-0
TITANIUM-0
POTASSIUM-1
BORON-45
SILICON-9
SODIUM-17
CALCIUM-1328
MAGNESIUM-128
PHOSPHORUS-754
ZINC-963
BARIUM-0

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C---61.1
SUS Viscosity @ 210°F----10.53
Flashpoint in °F---375
Fuel %---TR
Antifreeze %---0.0
Water %---0.0
Insolubles %---0.3
TBN----1.8
TAN
ISO Code

Looks good, but I'd drop down a few thousand miles with the Tbn at 1.8. Not bad though.

Viscosity is low 30wt now. The 8.5 sump capacity is a good thing and the 1qt of makeup oil probably helped.

Looks pretty decent. Especially for a LOW SAPS oil. Wear is low, hard to say if the thinning is fuel or shear, but with a FP of 375°, there's probably more than a trace of fuel.

Thanks for posting! What oil was in before? What is your typical OCI?

Which Oil Filter did you use....??

Iron is a little high.

I would not go 17k, would rather drop it down to 15k max.

I've been running Amsoil in it since it had 52k, and usually use the Mercedes fleece filter. This last time, I'm trying the SSO 0w-30. The European 5w-40 is not even one of their extended OCI oils:

Service Life
Recommended for the extended drain intervals established by the vehicle manufacturer or extend based on oil analysis. Change oil filter at time of oil change.

I was going to mention that. Well I sorta did - it used to be a long drain oil before it went to the low SAPS formula.

Let's see how the SSO does - I'll bet it will do nicely.

That's a beautiful UOA for those miles. I'd probably stick with what you are doing. Depends on what's going on inside the filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back