Best oil For a 2005 toyota corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.
SO I just got A 2005 Toyota Corolla I got the car with 17,900 miles on it now has 21,000 on it so I about to do its first oil change. What oil do you think would be a good choice for it below are my driving habits,
-Commute 60 miles a day mainly highway with little traffic
-I am in Tampa so It only gets below 32 degrees about once or twice a year
-I use cruise control and never sit it above 3000 rpm
-summers are ussaly in the high 90,s with high hummity
-power train coverge till 2012 or 100,000 so 5000 oci,s are a must
Oil price is not a issue, if you need more info just let me know Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Doing 5,000 mile oil change intervals any proper spec. oil would work. If you were extending oil change intervals to 10,000 + there is are syn oil that could be used.

60 miles a day will put you at 14400 per year, if that's all you drove it. Looks like a good candidate for a once a year OCI.

I'm running Amsoil ASL 5w30 in our 07, and it's pretty quiet on it and the oil holds up well.

Mobil 1 ep 0w20 or 5w20/30 or Castrol edge 5w30 whichever is speced change it once a year and remember oci dont void warrantys if that was case u'd have run toyota motor oil and filter or they've void it....any how >> under the The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (P.L. 93-637) is a United States federal law (15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq.). Enacted in 1975, it is the federal statute that governs warranties on consumer products.

Last edited:
Most dino oils will get you 5k in that car.

If you want a 'margin of safety" ( don't ask me to define that ) then use one of the many very good group III oils ( PP, Synpower, Amsoil XL, Castrol Syntec, etc ) and change it at 5k.

I think 5W30 is specified, but in such a warm climate and high speed driving if you decided on dino like PYB, you might consider running a 10w30 at least in Summer. You might consider pre-winter change with 5W30 and a Summer change with 10w30, but I wouldn't go more than 6months 7500 on dino.

Well a coworker gave me some castrol syntec blend 5w-30 I should be fine with that right? I dont want to waste it, also is a bosch oil filter good they are on sale right now and look alright.

Both will give good results. I'll bet the filler cap probably says 5w-30.
Run it 5k or so and the Corolla will still be runnin' when the body is shot. A good find with so few miles.

Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 or 5w20 and a factory filter for 5000 mile OCI's will keep your warranty intact, prevent sludge and make that engine last a very long time. I run it in 2 of my 3 Toyota products and used oil analysis shows very minumal wear. Plus you can get it at Walmart.

Originally Posted By: kevco
SO I just got A 2005 Toyota Corolla I got the car with 17,900 miles on it now has 21,000 on it so I about to do its first oil change. What oil do you think would be a good choice for it below are my driving habits,
-Commute 60 miles a day mainly highway with little traffic
-I am in Tampa so It only gets below 32 degrees about once or twice a year
-I use cruise control and never sit it above 3000 rpm
-summers are ussaly in the high 90,s with high hummity
-power train coverge till 2012 or 100,000 so 5000 oci,s are a must
Oil price is not a issue, if you need more info just let me know Thanks for the help.

First of all
welcome2.gif

I've got a 2005 Corolla with a few miles more than yours. About 133k MORE!
shocked2.gif

I've done about a dozen UOAs on my Corolla using many different oils. Both syn, blends and Conventional. Diffent oil filters too.

Looking at your use of the car I'd use ANY API rated SL/SM oil and any filter. The engine will be fine with 5k OCIs.
01.gif

Originally Posted By: Dieseldoctor
Mobil 1 ep 0w20 or 5w20/30 or Castrol edge 5w30 whichever is speced change it once a year and remember oci dont void warrantys if that was case u'd have run toyota motor oil and filter or they've void it....any how >> under the The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (P.L. 93-637) is a United States federal law (15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq.). Enacted in 1975, it is the federal statute that governs warranties on consumer products.

Nice try but his warranty is NOT A FACTORY WARRANTY. It is a EXTENDED warranty so everything you typed does not matter. He HAS to run 5k OCIs. PERIOD.

And everyone else, PLEASE READ the OP before recommending year, 7500 mile and such OCI.
33.gif

Well a coworker gave me some castrol syntec blend 5w-30 I should be fine with that right? I dont want to waste it, also is a bosch oil filter good they are on sale right now and look alright.

Excellent oil. I've done a UOA on that oil and it was good. Good filter.

Enjoy the new car!

Take care, Bill

Motorcraft Semi syn 5w-30. I use this in my moms '08 vibe with the 1ZZ-FE engine. This oil with a good filter will easily do 5k OCI's. And it is very reasonably priced!

You are racking up the miles pretty fast on that car.
So why not use a full synthetic and then have to change it less often?
You can actually save money, as well as time and grief.
Which synthetic? Anybody's. Go for price.

Originally Posted By: 3Toyotas
60 miles a day will put you at 14400 per year, if that's all you drove it. Looks like a good candidate for a once a year OCI.

14400 only if the car isn't driven at all on the weekends. Otherwise he is probably looking at more than 20k miles. Once a year it too much. If there is no warranty in effect then a 6 month OCI on a synthetic is doable.

My mom has the same car and I wouldn't say it's been neglected, but I know for a fact my dad has forgotten about changing the oil a few times on that vehicle.

Needless to say, my dad uses whatever dino oil is on sale and every time he changes the oil it looks very good and seems like it could have probably went a little longer.

The car seems very easy on oil. I think in your situation Bill is right -- any 5w30 API rated SL/SM oil. You can't really go wrong.

On sale synthetic like PP which works out to $1 a quart AR. Or any synthetic on sale. 5W20 gives the engine a little more power.

Last edited:
I'd use the viscosity stated on the oil filler cap and stick with the 5,000 mile intervals specified on the extended warranty. I'm a big Mobil 1 fan, but for your type of easy highway driving, assuming you change your own oil, pick your favorite brand from the Wal-Mart shelves. Pennzoil, Mobil 5000, Motorcraft...whatever. Can't go wrong with any of those, and they need not be synthetic. Might I also suggest that Toyota oil filters are available on-line from several vendors at very reasonable prices.
Those 4-cylinder Toyotas have mighty, mighty fine engines.

Castrol Syntec blend is a good oil - definetly don't waste it! Free oil is good oil!

Cool Thanks for the info, Just wondering a few of you guys said you also have a Corolla so I was wondering if you know if the maint req light counts the millage are if it actully knows how much life is left in the oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back