MMO - I Almost Hate To Admit it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
But on a whim, I sucked out a bit of oil and added 1/2 qt of MMO to my crankcase.
What the heck, it may help with unseen ring area cleaning.

Immediately the car idled better and seemed to have more pep.
This can't be. It just can't. I already had a 5-20 oil in there, not something real thick.

I don't normally recommend MMO in the oil, but now what?

Everyone is getting on the "band wagon" I have 2 qts ready when i change my wife and son cars!

The users will say "Welcome to the dark side", and the others will say "Your butt dyno seems to be working well".

Personally, this story gives me "deja moo". ( thanks Johnny )

BTW, what was the reason you added something to your oil?

Good move!
thumbsup2.gif

MMO

Macho Man Oil

You heard it here first. Your alignment has shifted from Lawful Good to Chaotic Evil!

MUHAHA.

I remember when Demarpaint recommended that I use 16 ounces of MMO 500 miles before my oil change on my El Camino. He told me that I would notice a difference as soon as I put it in and drove the car, I really did not believe him but I said to myself this MMO has worked great in the fuel so I will give it a shot.

When I went to pour the 16 ounces of MMO in my engine I was shaking like a leaf, saying to myself this is crazy putting MMO in my engine. My fears turned to joy as I pulled out of the driveway, the engine had more pep and it was smoother running.

When I did my oil change 500 miles later I did not add MMO to the oil as Demarpaint had said to use MMO 500 miles before my next oil change, the engine did not feel the same, so I ended up draining half a quart of oil and adding 16 ounces of MMO to the oil. This engine just seems to like MMO for whatever reason.

I also added 16 ounces of MMO to my Marauder 500 miles before my oil change and I did notice it was a tad smoother and a bit more responsive. I now use MMO in both cars using about 10% of my oil volume with MMO.

I will always be forever greatful to Demarpaint for recommending MMO to me.

I'm still hoping to see some quantifiable measurements in some form or fashion that show MMO does something/anything. Please let us know if you can provide any.

Does a quieter smoother running engine that uses less oil than 2 prior oil changes count? Sorry no pictures or compression readings. I haven't been a member very long but I'm a long term lurker. I would consider someone like mechtech2, c3po, and demarpaint's testimony to show some validity that it's more than in our heads. Wish I had quantifiable proof for any of these additives we discuss, unfortunately we don't.

OTOH in the UOA section there are a few nice UOA's where MMO was added does that count?

Originally Posted By: c3po
I remember when Demarpaint recommended that I use 16 ounces of MMO 500 miles before my oil change on my El Camino. He told me that I would notice a difference as soon as I put it in and drove the car, I really did not believe him but I said to myself this MMO has worked great in the fuel so I will give it a shot.

When I went to pour the 16 ounces of MMO in my engine I was shaking like a leaf, saying to myself this is crazy putting MMO in my engine. My fears turned to joy as I pulled out of the driveway, the engine had more pep and it was smoother running.

When I did my oil change 500 miles later I did not add MMO to the oil as Demarpaint had said to use MMO 500 miles before my next oil change, the engine did not feel the same, so I ended up draining half a quart of oil and adding 16 ounces of MMO to the oil. This engine just seems to like MMO for whatever reason.

I also added 16 ounces of MMO to my Marauder 500 miles before my oil change and I did notice it was a tad smoother and a bit more responsive. I now use MMO in both cars using about 10% of my oil volume with MMO.

I will always be forever greatful to Demarpaint for recommending MMO to me.

I was trying to ease you into using it that's all, you can certainly run it for the full OCI, especially in an engine you suspect to be dirty, or during the winter months for easier starting. Many people comment on how much more pep an engine has with it added. I wonder if they sold it for $30 a qt internet or mail order only if more people here would try it?

You being forever greatful brings a tear to my eye and a lump in my throat. LOL, Want to buy a bridge? J/K, glad I was able to help!

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Good move!
thumbsup2.gif

Glad it worked for you too! Hope all is well!

Frank

It's funny that only a couple of years ago I read a lot of "I would never add MMO to my oil". Now it's very popular as it should be. I have used the stuff on and off for 30 years or so with great success. I even keep some in a spray bottle in the shop to keep engine parts from rusting.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
I'm still hoping to see some quantifiable measurements in some form or fashion that show MMO does something/anything. Please let us know if you can provide any.

Would you like to suggest how one can scientifically measure this observation? "Immediately the car idled better and seemed to have more pep."

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I wonder if they sold it for $30 a qt internet or mail order only if more people here would try it?

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
banana2.gif
banana2.gif
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: KW
It's funny that only a couple of years ago I read a lot of "I would never add MMO to my oil". Now it's very popular as it should be. I have used the stuff on and off for 30 years or so with great success. I even keep some in a spray bottle in the shop to keep engine parts from rusting.

Success compared to what? The cars you didn't use it in blew up and died and early death? How do you quantify this success? It made you sleep better? What was the alternative?

Originally Posted By: TurboJim

Would you like to suggest how one can scientifically measure this observation? "Immediately the car idled better and seemed to have more pep."

Fuel mileage tests, fuel usage while idling tests, before and after pics, compression readings, fleet statistical analysis, double-blind comparative test to a base, anything that is quantifiably measured would be a start.

I'd love to switch to MMO. It is a LOT cheaper than Auto-RX. But, I have done actual measurements that proved Auto-RX works. I have a 96 cavalier whose compression readings improved by over 20% and gas mileage improved by 10% after starting usage. There are tons of other quantified experiments out there with Auto-RX. All I read about MMO is "i slept better because it sounded better."

So to the question I asked you have no answer? Instead of what the OP has observed as a benefit you would like him to come up with different results?

Are you assuming that MMO and ARX will provide the same results? Since you are getting results with ARX why not just stick with it and be happy?

As with any product your results may vary.

Not everyone has access to testing equipment, and this is the Internet so how do we even know the results are real? These are ordinary car buffs who know their vehicles reporting their observations, mpgs and pictures. Truth is how do people know the tests any product goes through were even done, or are valid? Could be a few buddies drinking beer making up results. Just playing Devils Advocate. Anyone can publish "Test results". This is why the additive business can be very profitable. JMO

Originally Posted By: KW

Success compared to what? The cars you didn't use it in blew up and died and early death? How do you quantify this success? It made you sleep better? What was the alternative?

coffee2.gif
Dude.

You know who you sound like?

IMO, The Pharoah's right hand man, you know, the doubter after Moses parted the Sea, the guy who instructed Aaron to make a Golden Calf after all the miracles in the movie The Ten Commandments.

...there's only so much a guy can type on an internet forum to convey their testimony.

If you don't believe all these people, go out and buy a car that has been neglected. Run your tests before and after the MMO treatment and report it back to us peasants.

Originally Posted By: TurboJim

Fuel mileage tests, fuel usage while idling tests, before and after pics, compression readings, fleet statistical analysis, double-blind comparative test to a base, anything that is quantifiably measured would be a start.

I'd love to switch to MMO. It is a LOT cheaper than Auto-RX. But, I have done actual measurements that proved Auto-RX works. I have a 96 cavalier whose compression readings improved by over 20% and gas mileage improved by 10% after starting usage. There are tons of other quantified experiments out there with Auto-RX. All I read about MMO is "i slept better because it sounded better."

I'll add what I observed. I did two ARX cleaning treatments on my son's 2001 Alero V-6 with 142K. Followed by a maintenance cycle on the third bottle. ARX brought the compression up on two low cylinders from 120/130 to 150. But it did nothing to the golden varnish visible thru the oil filler cap. After the maintenance doses were complete, I ran one quart MMO on each oil change since then. Several oil & MMO changes later, the area under the cap is almost spotless. Silver metal with no golden varnish tint. ARX clearly helped the compression, but did nothing for the varnish. The MMO did. Two different products, two different results. Am I disappointed in either....no....but I am impressed with the value MMO provided for the price. Would MMO have restored my compression? I don't know...but at its price point I would have liked to find out. Don't dismiss MMO out of hand. The more I use it, the more I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back