Bosch Oil Filter Application Lookup

Status
Not open for further replies.
But...but...it uses exclusive "filtech" technology!
Isn't that all you need to know?

You know I think I'll do some filtration comparisons with one of those vs. maybe a PureOne.
They are supposed to be a reboxed PureOne or Purolator Classic. I think a PureOne though.
Either way, it should be a real good filter, but I'd like to compare and see.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
But...but...it uses exclusive "filtech" technology!
Isn't that all you need to know?

You know I think I'll do some filtration comparisons with one of those vs. maybe a PureOne.
They are supposed to be a reboxed PureOne or Purolator Classic. I think a PureOne though.
Either way, it should be a real good filter, but I'd like to compare and see.

Does the media in a PureONE look the same as the close up in this photo ("fishbone" pattern on the media)?

OilFilter_720.jpg

Gary Allan posted this comment on the P1 dissection observations thread: "Filtech is Bosch's name for a media ...like Donaldson has their Duramax line ..no relation to the US sub of Toyo-Roki

You'll run across this (or you would) if you were searching for filtech. You would find another company ..a filter company ..the US sub of Toyo ..and you may find a google reference to the Bosch media"

That being the case, I'd say the likelihood that the P1 and the Bosch Prem. are now the same, is great.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
river_rat said:
Does the media in a PureONE look the same as the close up in this photo ("fishbone" pattern on the media)?

Yes, but I havent cut open a Purolator white classic to see if it's the same pattern there, too.

river_rat said:

Yes, but I havent cut open a Purolator white classic to see if it's the same pattern there, too.

I just cut open the latest generation P1 and have the media in front of me here. The media looks slightly different that the one in the pic. Not really a "Herringbone", but the are the same sort of indentations, but they run perpendicular tot he edges of the pleats. Don't know if that's significant, it's just what I'm looking at. Actually, now that I look at it again, it is pictured with the indents running perpendicular. Bypass valve on the fitler I have is a different design, but that could change by application (though I don't know that for sure).

Big question for me is, assuming they are "the same" in performance, which retails for less moola?

Last edited:
I have the 3311 and 3330 here and the 3311 has a spiral center tube, 3330 doesn't. Both are recent purchases and have the purolator baseplate. Didn't know purolator used a spiral. It is confusing as they said "exclusive filtech" before when made by Champ. I tend to think when they say exclusive it means that it is. It may also mean exclusive to our company which now incudes several brand names. They also don't have the red coating on the gasket like a pure 1. I saw a Toyota branded filter for the v6 made in USA at the dealer. $4.95 and it was a Purolator product, looking much like the Bosch.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Big question for me is, assuming they are "the same" in performance, which retails for less moola?

That's the thing. I think the Bosch and P1 are about the same.
Thanks for the info.

I just got back from AZ with an OC special for the VW Bus--5 qts Castrol GTX 10W-40 (my winter weight) and a Bosch 3422 filter for $14.99. Not bad.
Interestingly, the boxes now say removes 99.9% or harmful impurities. Same as the P1 rating but the P1 gives the details.
I bet it's a P1 media in there. It does have the silicon ADBV like the P1. Like I say, even if it was like the regular purolator at 97.5%, I don't care...that still really good.
The list on the filter was $6.49--'bout the same as P1.

river rat - you going to use the Bosch on the VW or sacrifice it to science?

Imo cut one up tomorrow maybe and run some tests and take some photos

thumbsup2.gif
... maybe you will be able to determine from inspection and testing if the media is indeed the same as the PureONE or not.

I'll think we'll all have a pretty good idea.
Got a Classic, a P1, and the Bosch all for the same application ready to go up against each other.

I'll think we'll all have a pretty good idea.
Got a Classic, a P1, and the Bosch all for the same application ready to go up against each other.

Excellent! ... let the experiments begin. Better crank up some "Blinded by Science" tunes.
lol.gif

I just got back from AZ with an OC special for the VW Bus--5 qts Castrol GTX 10W-40 (my winter weight) and a Bosch 3422 filter for $14.99. Not bad.
Interestingly, the boxes now say removes 99.9% or harmful impurities. Same as the P1 rating but the P1 gives the details.
I bet it's a P1 media in there. It does have the silicon ADBV like the P1. Like I say, even if it was like the regular purolator at 97.5%, I don't care...that still really good.

The list on the filter was $6.49--'bout the same as P1.
FWIW, I agree with you.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
river_rat, have you tested a ProLine yet?

I do not think he has, I bet you could send him one and he would test it.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
river_rat, have you tested a ProLine yet?

Nuh-Uh. Sorry. No Pep-Boys for 300 miles and they don't mail-order.

I'm kinda lucky though--within a few blocks I got Carquest, AAP, NAPA, and Sears. Within 2 miles I got O'Reilly's, AZ and another NAPA.
On my commute I also drive right by an Arnold Motor Supply (Autovalue)...but no Pep-Boys.

Better crank up some "Blinded by Science" tunes.
lol.gif

hehee I sing that to my wife. She's a scientist.
I just now posted some preliminary results over on the bench comparison thread, guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back