OK to drill 4 holes in steel rims?>

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a trailer that has a spare flat mounted on the drawbar. when it rains it keeps about 1/2 inch of water sitting in the rim which i think will lead to corrosion.

I am thinking of drilling 4x 4mm holes in the low part of the rim to let the water drain. i might also smear some grease on the bead between the tyre and the rim cos i have seen some serious rust develop there where water pools.

the rims have a load capacity of about 700kg, they only need about 375kg . many rims have many holes in their support structure no worries. Is it OK???

Shannow/Sprint these are the ex falcon ROH steel rims they re-fit to trailers and caravans.

i don't want to buy a tyre cover as A) don't want to waste money and (B) it will make it nice and stuffy for corrosion and critters.

http://www.roh.com.au/steelwheels.php the rims are the "caravan" type and the little drain holes will be equispaced on the "donut" bit of the profile about halfway between the hub and tyre.

Last edited:
I think you will be fine - and based on what you say about the water/rust damages, you will be doing good for the rims. Plus, you aren't using near the capacity so I am sure the small holes won't reduce the load capabilty much if at all.

You had better let it rust in place and rot to death instead of violating the integrity of the OZ-DOT approved wheel.

J/K
grin2.gif
I figure I'll try and preempt some doomsday'r with how absurd it would sound allowing the alternative.

Now they have to think a bit and tell you to buy a custom cover for it.

ok that was some hard steel. broke my 4mm bit, had to go to 1/4 inch. Gary, i'm sick of spending money and have my first thought of how to fix something go to "what should i buy to do this". so a custom cover is out.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
ok that was some hard steel. broke my 4mm bit, had to go to 1/4 inch. Gary, i'm sick of spending money and have my first thought of how to fix something go to "what should i buy to do this". so a custom cover is out.

Did you use any lubrication while drilling those holes?

For future reference, I doubt 4mm was even necessary. Even a 1 or 2 mm hole would let water drain fast enough to get the job done.

But no, I can't see how those holes would affect integrity at all, unless you were unimaginably careless with the placement. (Like right on a weld or something.)

Quote:
Gary, i'm sick of spending money and have my first thought of how to fix something go to "what should i buy to do this". so a custom cover is out.

Me too
55.gif
Engineer the issue out and make it self maintaining. You've got the better idea.

Originally Posted By: swalve
For future reference, I doubt 4mm was even necessary. Even a 1 or 2 mm hole would let water drain fast enough to get the job done.

But no, I can't see how those holes would affect integrity at all, unless you were unimaginably careless with the placement. (Like right on a weld or something.)

i will take a photo later today. yes 1mm woulda been fine but i had my incredible range of a 4mm and 1/4 inch drillbits. :)

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
I think you'll have to check the balance now ....

nah. it's a trailer spare. it's really just there for the show. most i will ever drive with it may be 50km. i doubt it is even properly balanced to begin with, and the holes are equispaced, but yeah in section a TINY bit of mass has shifted.

Originally Posted By: wapacz

does water count?? the first two was water cooled but not the 2nd two.

crinkles, no probs with what you did (and as you say particularly due to it being a spare).

Your trailer would look great with 12 slots.

Originally Posted By: wapacz

does water count?? the first two was water cooled but not the 2nd two.

Might have been why you broke a bit.

You could use Rescue Steel if it's available over there.It's a red grease like coating used in the marine industry.We used to have a pot in the workshop and used it on everything that went in the water,boat trailers and outboard mounts for what we were working on.

Originally Posted By: paulo57509
Would a pull over tire cover be a better and cheaper option?

would cost more , p0lus water would still get trapped and critters owuld nest.

used maybe a few fingers worth of grease, and a $2 drill bit broke... a cover would be $50 plus.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back