How late into the season do you guys mow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I read it's better to leave your lawn the same height for winter vs. cutting it lower.

The root depth coincide with the height of the grass. Being its winter with slow growth and stress I WOULD NOT lower the heights but increase the heights. A stronger root system is needed in winter stress.

If you raise the heights and the grass is growing slower anyways you are not pressed to cut the grass like it's in peak with strong growth. The grass needs all the help it can get...a stronger root system will protect the grass versus a shallow weak root system.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
I think I read it's better to leave your lawn the same height for winter vs. cutting it lower.

Everyone who ive talked to has told me to scalp the lawn during the winter time. Ive got brumuda grass...i dont know if that makes a difference? Yesterday i lowered the mower from the tallest setting to the mid setting. I may just keep it there....if i remember correctly i went to the lowest setting last winter.

Originally Posted By: Mamala Bay
The root depth coincide with the height of the grass. Being its winter with slow growth and stress I WOULD NOT lower the heights but increase the heights. A stronger root system is needed in winter stress.

If you raise the heights and the grass is growing slower anyways you are not pressed to cut the grass like it's in peak with strong growth. The grass needs all the help it can get...a stronger root system will protect the grass versus a shallow weak root system.

So taller grass has a stronger root system...that makes sence. Does it matter what type of grass you have? Ive got brumuda grass.

If the Bermuda was at the highest setting than yes I would bring the heights down for the winter months. I am assuming you have a rotary mower.

Also you need to bring the heights down gradually to avoid scalping. If you scalp the grass meaning cutting the green stuff off will kill the Bermuda grass.

Another thing about scalping - there is usually some browner or yellower parts of the plant down closer to the ground. Not really thatch, but dead/dormant parts that are still attached. When you drop the mowing height, it exposes this. If the grass is growing slowly (like in the fall) it can take it a long time to look fully green again.

I've heard some pros suggest lightly scalping it once as it starts to grow quickly in the spring. That gets some of that brown stuff out, and does it at a time when it quickly grow back over it.

But scalping in the fall is pretty much universally criticized on lawnsite.com (forum for lawn care pro's).

11 39g bags,5 45 g bags....2 Aleve.

2 gallons regular unleaded, 1 fine mist pesticide sprayer, 1 strike anywhere match, 5 minutes, 0 bags, 0 Aleve.

Originally Posted By: ksJoe
Another thing about scalping - there is usually some browner or yellower parts of the plant down closer to the ground. Not really thatch, but dead/dormant parts that are still attached. When you drop the mowing height, it exposes this. If the grass is growing slowly (like in the fall) it can take it a long time to look fully green again.

I've heard some pros suggest lightly scalping it once as it starts to grow quickly in the spring. That gets some of that brown stuff out, and does it at a time when it quickly grow back over it.

But scalping in the fall is pretty much universally criticized on lawnsite.com (forum for lawn care pro's).

I would always look ahead and stick with different seasons. If you're in the middle of summer you should be thinking of bringing the heights down gradually preparing for the fall season. And from fall to winter. You need green stuff on your grass. Cutting the height down to fast will only stress it and grass will take longer to recover.

When you bring the heights down you need the grass time to adjust to strengthen itself. That may take 2 weeks to a month depending how strong the grass is growing. It's wiser to bring the heights down when growth is still strong like in the later part of summer. Growth is strong for recovery for fall season and preparing for winter season.

If you got three height adjustment I would prepare later summer for the medium height for fall. If you want to bring the heights down for winter it's wiser to go from medium to the lower height settings.

19 45 g. bags......2 more Aleve.

Humor...I deal with landscaping ... now why and how did the brown stuff occur during winter? Lack of planning. Good luck.

Just mowed for the last time today.
banana2.gif
Already winterized the weed-whacker. Hopefully I'll have a chance to winterize the tractor, push mower, and leaf blower next week.

There is a real good chance I will be cutting the lawn today.I never should have dethatched it last month . The lawn is growing fast fot this time of year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back