synthetic filter=higher oil pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
An observation for FWIW, I was using some cellulose filters while doing the clean/rinse cycles of an ARX treatment and noticed my oil pressure was running slightly lower than normal. I have an electronic afterrmarktet gauge installed and would normally run about 38 psi at 1500 rpm and about 50 psi once I got up to 2000. While running the cellulose filters I would only get about 30 psi at 1500 and 40-45 at 2000. Difficult to judge exactly as the gauge only has 25 psi increments with a mark in between. Now that I'm done with all that and switched back to the more expensive synthetic filters, my oil pressure is back to what it was before too. I know synthetic is supposed to be better but was surprised to see that much of a noticable difference between the two medias.

Where is your gauge sensor located? Before or after the oil filter?

I have found synthetic oil filters to cause less oil flow, so I am guessing your sensor is BEFORE the oil filter.

Last edited:
Generally, the finer the filtration, the higher the pressure drop. If you're forcing fluid through smaller holes, the more pressure it takes to do so for a given flow.

It all depends on where the sensor is located. Higher pressure before the filter would be a more restrictive filter. Higher pressure after would be less.

But, you also changed the oil so that somewhat invalidates the results if you used something else.

Well, I know I'm using the same type of oil and I thought that where I had the sensor was after the filter. I have the sensor coming off a port on the filter header just above the filter. I had to change the header out a few years ago and I remember looking at it when I had it off and thinking the sensor was after the filter but... being a few years ago, my memory might be off a little. I still have it lying around somewhere so I'll look at it tomorrow and see if I can tell for sure. I'll put some air to it and see where it comes out.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
It all depends on where the sensor is located. Higher pressure before the filter would be a more restrictive filter. Higher pressure after would be less.

But, you also changed the oil so that somewhat invalidates the results if you used something else.

Exactly ... not to mention that the OP didn't mention anything about the oil temperature. I'm assuming he was doing this pressure observation with hot oil in all cases. With the resolution on that oil pressure gauge, I'd say there is some room for error too.

Originally Posted By: sdan27
Yeah, you all were right. My sensor is pre-filter. Makes better sense now.

Remember that if your oil pump is not running at it's pressure relief point (ie, max pressure output), then you are still getting the same oil volume through the system, even though the gauge is reading a higher oil pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back